Page 86 of 440 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I don't like black lesbian Etta. I feel like she is a horrible constellation prize because they won't let Diana be with a woman. I haven't liked Etta since the Marston comics, excluding Earth One.
    If Etta is a consolation prize it's because people keep trying to force Wonder Woman to be a gay. I'd be fine with it if she were a lesbian from day one, but I hate seeing characters turned gay in the 11th hour (despite evidence to the contrary) to fit someone's agenda. It's dishonest. I'd rather they delve deep into the S&M aspects of her creation despite how personally distasteful it is to me, because at least it would be genuine.

I don't like black lesbian Etta. I feel like she is a horrible constellation prize because they won't let Diana be with a woman. I haven't liked Etta since the Marston comics, excluding Earth One.
    She was good in the movie too.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-02-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    If Etta is a consolation prize it's because people keep trying to force Wonder Woman to be a gay. I'd be fine with it if she were a lesbian from day one, but I hate seeing characters turned gay in the 11th hour (despite evidence to the contrary) to fit someone's agenda. It's dishonest. I'd rather they delve deep into the S&M aspects of her creation despite how personally distasteful it is to me, because at least it would be genuine.
    No one is "forcing" her to be gay. People just make the connection where they see it. She started off as a sexually liberated character and the themes are present from the beginning of the character's creation. I for sure can't say if she was meant to be "gay" or "bi" or even sexually interested in girls but with her past and her being surrounded by nothing but women for sometimes thousands of years it makes sense that she would have had relationships with them. Most of the positive S&M aspects were her with other women so its reasonable to come away with the idea that there is more there especially given the time the comics were made where those things would never be confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    She was good in the movie too.
    I thought you meant the animated movie. Yes, I did like her in the film but felt like she was not in the movie enough and I didn't like how little they showed her or how much older she was. I actually disliked the entire dynamic of the movie so I guess its a bit hard to really judge anything but she was one of the few things I did like.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 11-02-2019 at 05:23 PM.

No one is "forcing" her to be gay. People just make the connection where they see it. She started off as a sexually liberated character and the themes are present from the beginning of the character's creation. I for sure can't say if she was meant to be "gay" or "bi" or even sexually interested in girls but with her past and her being surrounded by nothing but women for sometimes thousands of years it makes sense that she would have had relationships with them. Most of the positive S&M aspects were her with other women so its reasonable to come away with the idea that there is more there especially given the time the comics were made where those things would never be confirmed.

I thought you meant the animated movie. Yes, I did like her in the film but felt like she was not in the movie enough and I didn't like how little they showed her or how much older she was. I actually disliked the entire dynamic of the movie so I guess its a bit hard to really judge anything but she was one of the few things I did like.
    When she first met Steve she instantly fell in love and he was her main relationship for 40 years afterwards and even when they weren't together she was interested in other Men. Sorry but that doesn't scream lesbian or bi to me, despite how some people want to see it.

Mighty Member

Comment Deleted
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 11-19-2019 at 01:54 AM.

I liked Etta in Legends. Yea, I never understand why you need to make Etta black and lesbian. You could have easily made a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I liked Etta in Legends. Yea, I never understand why you need to make Etta black and lesbian. You could have easily made a new character.
    I think this comes from the idea that there are only so many seats at the table. That is, there are only a certain amount of characters that can orbit a lead protagonist. Sure, you can add additional characters, but those characters are more than likely going to disappear at the end of the run, but if you change a person's race then you can permanently diversify a supporting cast.

Etta Candy first appeared during Geoff John's JL run and she wasn't really used at all. Etta Candy didn't even appear in a Wonder Woman title, until what, 2016, 5 years after the race change?

Mighty Member

I think this comes from the idea that there are only so many seats at the table. That is, there are only a certain amount of characters that can orbit a lead protagonist. Sure, you can add additional characters, but those characters are more than likely going to disappear at the end of the run, but if you change a person's race then you can permanently diversify a supporting cast.

Etta Candy first appeared during Geoff John's JL run and she wasn't really used at all. Etta Candy didn't even appear in a Wonder Woman title, until what, 2016, 5 years after the race change?
    I just want to put out there that I don't see anything wrong with race or sexuality swapping its just this version of Etta hasn't been good.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Racebending redheads is it's own thing, but chocolate eating, woo woo yelling, comically fat Etta Candy doesn't really work well in modern times. Her name is already a pun so it's hard to take her seriously. She's a tough sell in this age of anti-fat shaming and body positivity. Therefore they made her black like hundreds of other black best friend characters throughout media, but they didn't want her to be a trope either, so they made her a lesbian which gave her a story line slightly separate from Diana's and cut back on the sassiness and comic relief aspects Etta Candy is known for.

That makes her boring to a lot of readers and it's an example of good intentions gone wrong. However I'd like to think she's still salvageable despite this, all that really needs to be done is to make her more interesting and likable. That only takes a thoughtful writer willing to care enough to do it, Greg Rucka and Shea Fontana did, but subsequent writers dropped the ball. It's not too late for someone to give her life and excitement.

Yet many liked Etta Candy in Legends and Earth One. So I can’t see why it would be bad for her to be back. I mean Wonder Woman has Etta Candy be interesting. So why sure she be a trope? She technically is a trope. To be a diversity character without making her a character

I just want to put out there that I don't see anything wrong with race or sexuality swapping its just this version of Etta hasn't been good.
    I agree, though more often than not, this sort of behaviour leads to a lot of bland characters.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Mighty Member

I agree, more often than not, this sort of behaviour leads to a lot of bland characters.
    Its also unrealistic in a medium like this for there to be no changes to the characters identity. The world changes and so will the characters to reflect those changes.

Instead of trying to bring back Diana Prince, Infinite Crisis should have had Superman and Batman come to the realization that the culture of secrets and lies is what cuased Identity Crisis and Brother Eye to happen.

I agree, more often than not, this sort of behaviour leads to a lot of bland characters.
    More than that the character is more of a plot device than a properly developed character. Ie they're written more as a gimmick than a part of the story. Also often end up as a token x character.

There are characters who changed to reflect times but not their race. It's way easier to change a character's sexuality and race than mkaing them a more interesting character.

I’m curious. Why not have a panel where Hippolyta vists Diana?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 11-04-2019 at 06:37 AM.