Page 360 of 440 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370410 ... LastLast
Results 5,386 to 5,400 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Don't care for the Odd Fellows. They just felt like trying too hard to catch some of movie Steve's lightning in a bottle... But, frankly, Rucka's Steve feels pretty uninspired so I get needing to pull some of that Pine magic.
    The Odd Fellows are men and that's my only reason for mentioning them. Rebirth Steve Trevor also had a team for back up, Chris Pine not withstanding. Given his role as a spy and soldier he needs one. What he doesn't need is a lot of tweaking, because my controversial opinion is he's fine the way he is currently.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-25-2022 at 09:21 PM.

Steve has a catchphrase. Thank you Angel. That's it. That's his whole personality.

Lois Lane and Selina Kyle aren't beloved for what they do. They are beloved for how they act and the undeniable chemistry they have with their love interests.

Every attempt at reorienting Steve Trevor in this forum is about people trying to give him a better job, but no attempt at addressing the actual issue.

Even if Lois and Selina were unemployed they would still be really interesting characters and have great chemistry with their partners. That's what Steve needs.

I mean, technically he doesn't need anuthing because Diana doesn't have to follow the trope of having One True Love, instead of simply going through several different relationships as her life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Steve has a catchphrase. Thank you Angel. That's it. That's his whole personality.
    No it's not, since Rebirth he's rescued Diana as much as she's rescued him. They're a team regardless of their romantic relationship and they show up for each other. He's also proven to be be perceptive, capable and open minded. There aren't many guys that would become friends with their ex's current love interest, take them in and show them the ropes the way Steve has Siggy. That takes a strong personality and someone secure in who they are.

Okay, he's also a nice guy. A good man. What you described isn't a personality, you described good virtues that any character would have if they were also good

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Doesn't sound much different from Diana

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No it's not, since Rebirth he's rescued Diana as much as she's rescued him. They're a team regardless of their romantic relationship and they show up for each other. He's also proven to be be perceptive, capable and open minded. There aren't many guys that would become friends with their ex's current love interest, take them in and show them the ropes the way Steve has Siggy. That takes a strong personality and someone secure in who they are.
    I think it's also relevant to note that Steve has much experience helping larger than life fantastical characters with great power acclimate to Man's World/Earth culture and customs. In a way, it shouldn't come as a surprise that he continues to play the role that he did when Diana first arrived, and help them get to know this place and world better while developing a friendship and connection. He's super secure and a good dude, but he's seen a lot of stuff and I like the dynamic that while he's only human, he's a good liaison and confidant for these superpowered and fantastical characters freshly arrived to Man's World/Earth and/or the US. It's why I like ARGUS being more his thing, helping bridge the divide between the relatively mundane aspects of human life on Earth with decidedly over the top and maybe not so human characters. Stick their base in Gateway City with Gates going to a bunch of different dimensions, worlds, and universes, and it sets him up to play an important role in the WW mythos and greater DCU without necessarily needing to be in the center of the story. He works very well as the "straight" man to our beloved weirdos, haha. Pun not intended, because the tension between him and Siggy is palpable

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Doesn't sound much different from Diana
    Yup, when Diana is badly written she can also lack a personality. But thankfully Marston, William Messner-Loebs and Rucka knew who she actually besides all her virtues

Yup, when Diana is badly written she can also lack a personality. But thankfully Marston, William Messner-Loebs and Rucka knew who she actually besides all her virtues
    per·son·al·i·ty

noun

1. the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
    "she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"

Disliking a person's personality or finding it dull doesn't mean they don't have one.

What exactly do you want from Steve?

Preferably but there are several male side characters that could periodically filter thru the book.

Ed Idelicato
    Ferdinand
    Hermes
    General Darnell
    Milan
    Trevor Barnes
    Steve's Odd Fellows
    Lennox
    Hunter Prince
    Nemesis
    etcetera
    Agreed. I was just working on Ed, Ferdinand, Achilles, Andros, Tod (Diana’s one time next door neighbor), Kevin Mayer and a new Wonder Boy this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Don't care for the Odd Fellows. They just felt like trying too hard to catch some of movie Steve's lightning in a bottle... But, frankly, Rucka's Steve feels pretty uninspired so I get needing to pull some of that Pine magic.
    I can see the Oddfellows working if Steve is an ARGUS agent and they’re contacts he has that are outside the normal ARGUS and organized intelligence networks - essentially recreating the movie’s dynamic. They’ll need a lot of characterization though.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Id love to see Hermes join WW on a couple of missions just for the fun of it and fall in love with a mortal male.
    It’d be kinda fascinating to see a god’s take on a romance with a human, in our modern day.

Lois Lane and Selina Kyle aren't beloved for what they do. They are beloved for how they act and the undeniable chemistry they have with their love interests.

Every attempt at reorienting Steve Trevor in this forum is about people trying to give him a better job, but no attempt at addressing the actual issue.

Even if Lois and Selina were unemployed they would still be really interesting characters and have great chemistry with their partners. That's what Steve needs.

I mean, technically he doesn't need anuthing because Diana doesn't have to follow the trope of having One True Love, instead of simply going through several different relationships as her life goes on.
    I think that Steve and that catchphrase is him at his two-dimensional worst. He’s not intrinsically a boring character, it’s just that he’s not focused on and developed with more passion for what he could be. (A fate a lot of Wonder characters face.)

per·son·al·i·ty

noun

1. the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
    "she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"

Disliking a person's personality or finding it dull doesn't mean they don't have one.

What exactly do you want from Steve?
    I'm sorry but this will be a long response
    (The word "distinctive character" stands out as something that I don't think applies to Steve but that matters little)

Im not discussing grammar, im discussing writing and psichology which I think are crucial to the success of a story.

How would you describe Peter Parker's personality? Do you think there are bad boring versions of Steve Rogers? Do you think there are interesting versions of Steve Rogers? Is a lack of virtue what makes all boring versions of Steve Rogers boring? Don't you think it takds more than virtues to make the good versions of Steve Rogers interesting?

Is Tony Stark's personality just the things is does right and the things he does wrong? Doesn't he have a specific way of speaking, a specific view of the world, a specific set of goals and challenges that he has to deal with it in life, and a specific way of dealing with things?
    Doesn't Magneto also have that? Doesn't Storm? Doesn't Wolverine?
    It is about ideology, but also about how the uniquely charismatic or interesting ways they act around others. Their relationship with socializing

You love Wonder Woman as do I. When you look at Steve you think "dammit, why can't people appreciate how good he is!"

When I look at Steve I think "Diana is one of the most unique characters I've ever seen, but most of her romantic life lacks that creativity and charisma. I laugh and am challenged by Diana, but there's nothinf about the name Steve Trevor that makes me see a real human being. He's whatever is required to make Wonder Woman seem cool. So people just try to make him look cool whatever way they can and nothing more".

Yes Wonder Woman's ideology matters a lot. It's what makes her so relevant to the world. And Steve should help support that ideology. But Wonder Woman comics can't just be a religious book.

The Marston stories in the 40s were postive propaganda, but more than that, they were well written propaganda. They created characters with umique points of view, and goals in life, not in mudane soap operas, but in excitingly surrealistic adventures.

We're not doing any favors to Steve Trevor's future success by asking less investment in his development as a character, and not just as an actuon figure or symbol of ideology

Extraordinary Member

I think every single take on Steve Trevor in comics has been very uninspired. What take do you like?
    I gotta say (at least from what I've read), I have to agree.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I was thinking. We have had plenty of stories with Wonder Woman used to praise batman and superman at her expense. So we need stories of WW calling batman a jerk and a psycho. And then we need stories where WW lets superman know that he sucks at fighting, because he lacks technique and dicipline. So he better go milk a cow than to cause trouble with his incompetence in the battlefield. We need those stories.