Page 81 of 438 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 6569

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious we see that the amazons are still warriors. I have to problem with that. However, I would like to see the Amazons do have to deal with certain creatures or maybe other Amazons who are aggressive. A few off branch Amazons. I want there to be peace but Also show why they still due to be warriors. There is the doom gate or Ares. But how about something new. What other mythical creatures or maybe even other beings could there be conflicts with the Amazons?
    I think the Doorway is reason enough, really. I mean, it's a gate to hell and the Amazons are supposed to protect it. Hard to get better reasoning than that; if that thing blows open it's an extinction level threat.

And depending on the continuity there's other creatures on the island; harpies, cyclops, hydras, etc., and they all consider the Amazons either rivals or food or both. So there's plenty of reason for the warrior culture there too. Can't have the Amazon population decline because they keep getting eaten.

Personally I have little interest in Themyscria being treated as a utopia anyway. They should be more advanced than we are in many, many ways, both sociologically and technologically. But they should not be a perfect society that has moved beyond *all* the concerns and flaws we have. I *want* my Amazons to be a little hypocritical, a little bloodthirsty, etc. Gives them room to grow, and that makes for a better story than them just being perfect and flawless from the start. I think Diana's mission has a lot more weight behind it when the cultural exchange goes both ways. Yeah, Man's World has a lot to learn from the Amazons, probably more than they have to learn from us. That shouldn't mean they have *nothing* to learn from humanity though, or flaws of their own to overcome.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And depending on the continuity there's other creatures on the island; harpies, cyclops, hydras, etc., and they all consider the Amazons either rivals or food or both. So there's plenty of reason for the warrior culture there too. Can't have the Amazon population decline because they keep getting eaten.
    Just as I find the current emphasis on both Steve and Etta as soldiers to be misguided, I find the emphasis on the Amazons as a warrior culture. Perhaps even more so.

I want them to be philisophers, scientists, poets, artisans, horticulturalists, and lovers before we get to the label of "warrior". Heck, in some ways I want them to reject the label of warrior entirely in favour of the one of soldier, and perhaps even more accurately, that of citizen-soldier. They should be superlative in their fighting skills because they excel in lots of things and because it is needed (due to the Doom Gate or some other reason), not because they view it as something desirable in and of itself.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

A warrior culture realistically (and that's often the justification given for writing the Amazons like this though I will admit that isn't the case for Ascended) would have not only failed to advance but wiped itself out because all they would do is fight and if they can't go to war with someone else they'll go to war with each other.

I often wondered is why not have the Amazons be allied with some of the mythical creatures. I mean if the doomgate is still having monsters why not have them have more allies.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I often wondered is why not have the Amazons be allied with some of the mythical creatures. I mean if the doomgate is still having monsters why not have them have more allies.
    Because that would tie more characters up in Diana's history which DC doesn't care about.

Well, they already had Ferdinand, so there's some precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I want them to be philisophers, scientists, poets, artisans, horticulturalists, and lovers before we get to the label of "warrior". Heck, in some ways I want them to reject the label of warrior entirely in favour of the one of soldier, and perhaps even more accurately, that of citizen-soldier. They should be superlative in their fighting skills because they excel in lots of things and because it is needed (due to the Doom Gate or some other reason), not because they view it as something desirable in and of itself.
    I feel like in this context it's just splitting hairs, but yeah "citizen soldier" if it makes you feel better.

The Amazons probably don't have the population to have people dedicated to any single role/job, outside of the absolute necessities like healers, oracles, government administrators, military leaders, etc. I imagine it's a lot like the coast guard; an Amazon might be an artist or a architect but will do her "two weekends a month" on guard duty, and do another "two weekends" hunting or gathering food or whatever, and another "two weekends" filling in some other important role, then go back to her painting or sculpting or whatever. So that Amazon might think of herself as an artist, but she's still a warrior and will wear whatever "hat" the situation demands of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A warrior culture realistically (and that's often the justification given for writing the Amazons like this though I will admit that isn't the case for Ascended) would have not only failed to advance but wiped itself out because all they would do is fight and if they can't go to war with someone else they'll go to war with each other.
    This is true, which is why the Amazons *cant* just be a warrior culture. They *are* warriors, but that's not *all* they are. It's an important aspect of their lives, but not the only important aspect. I think DC loses sight of that far too often.

I see no reason why the Amazons wouldn't have made peace with some creatures and beings. Certainly not all, but I can see some "monsters" or monster tribes finding themselves allied with Themyscria. I think there's potential for some fun "monster politics" here; you could perhaps do things like have the Amazons asked to negotiate a peace treaty between rival harpy tribes or something. Could be a lot of fun.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Also what if Gorgons became allies instead of enemies? I mean it really would be fun to see a mix of other creatures on the Island. To tie people like Clea. Maybe Clea and her people help the Amazons also?

Also what if Gorgons became allies instead of enemies? I mean it really would be fun to see a mix of other creatures on the Island. To tie people like Clea. Maybe Clea and her people help the Amazons also?
    I think it'd be pretty fun to have Clea and Venturia (spelling?) thrown into the political mix between Themyscria and Atlantis. I think you could do some interesting things if you established Clea as a political ally to one (Themyscria would be my preference, despite Clea being a Wonder-rogue) and rival of the other (Atlantis, obvs). You could mirror the complex nature of real-world national politics, but through a fantastical lens. It could make for some really compelling stuff in the right hands, I think.

Actually, I feel the same way about Gorilla City too. I think the dynamic between all these isolated, once-hidden civilizations is criminally underused by DC (and Marvel is just as bad at it too).

~ Black Panther.

I'd be fine with the Gorgons being allies or neutral characters. I once again propose the higher Olympians (namely Zeus and Poseidon) as villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd be fine with the Gorgons being allies or neutral characters. I once again propose the higher Olympians (namely Zeus and Poseidon) as villains.
    How would you read them as villains? With Zeus, it's easy since he is a rapist. I really would like it is Hera would take a leadership role. That maybe she came to destroy the Amazons but spent time and learned to love herself

Eh, I prefer the more morally ambiguous take on the gods, myself. I'm not even a fan of Ares being treated as a straight-up villain. I think its more fun when the gods can be friend or foe depending on the situation.

Some gods, Diana might find herself set against more often than others, and Zeus would be a fine example here since he's a huge d-bag, but I'd like to see more complexity from the gods than the binary morality of hero/villain.

~ Black Panther.

I did like that about some of Azz's gods. I really liked Hera's. I don't know out of all of them Zeus generally has done more terrible things than God. He even generally has Athena clean up his messes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, I prefer the more morally ambiguous take on the gods, myself. I'm not even a fan of Ares being treated as a straight-up villain. I think its more fun when the gods can be friend or foe depending on the situation.

Some gods, Diana might find herself set against more often than others, and Zeus would be a fine example here since he's a huge d-bag, but I'd like to see more complexity from the gods than the binary morality of hero/villain.
    If it means anything, I'd put Ares in the morally ambiguous camp while Zeus is the villain.

BANNED

My awsome controversial wonder woman post was erased.... :/ i guess it was too controversial.... hehehe

I got another one ! It's called the tragedy of steve
    wonder woman has a sex change operation and become wonder man, then steve trevor has sex change operation and become a girl. Roles are changed, wonder woman is the man of the house now, it's 1942, WW II era. So steve cooks and cleans now and give wonder man foot massages. Wonder man joins the army and goes away, steve is sad because of this, what will become of them ?!!??!!? :/