Page 209 of 440 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    This doesn't change my point that we have a large enough cast, most just aren't used or get replaced by a writer's pet characters.
    While I love most of WW's core supporting cast, the fact that they are allowed to get replaced speaks to the fact that they aren't completely essential in DC's eyes. I mean, would Marvel ever let Nightcrawler or Rogue go unused for years (even decades) at a time?

That said, I'd love for writers to stop creating their own pet characters like Maggie who take over the book and become the central character over Diana. I'll never get over that issue where Diana even says "this is your story".

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Or she has both and simply uses the lasso and bracelets 90% of the time.
    Yea.Why not have her combine an item that allows her to combine a shield and shield. Better yet why can't her bracelet make her a shield and her lasso can transform into any weapon.

I been thinking about this. Why not have the Holiday Girls also be trained warriors? That Marston University has secrets and the Holiday Girls are a branch of girls picked by Athena to protect magic students?

I wish they'd at least give the sword some in-universe importance/history like the lasso or bracelets, make it standout more than just something she plucked from a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wish they'd at least give the sword some in-universe importance/history like the lasso or bracelets, make it standout more than just something she plucked from a museum.
    Heck maybe it could be a lose Amazonian artificial before the Amazons left.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

One issue with WWs Amazonian supporting cast is that her origin usually deals with the Amazons being cut off from Mans World and 1 champion being chosen to represent them. Once more and more Amazons show up in Mans World it further diminishes Diana's importance unless Themiscrya is done hiding, anyone is free to leave, or they conclude that Diana needs additional help.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea.Why not have her combine an item that allows her to combine a shield and shield. Better yet why can't her bracelet make her a shield and her lasso can transform into any weapon.

I been thinking about this. Why not have the Holiday Girls also be trained warriors? That Marston University has secrets and the Holiday Girls are a branch of girls picked by Athena to protect magic students?
    Because they are supposed to represent the social values of Wonder Woman, and because I don't like the idea that Amazons are an isolated society and yet they are thought of as just a military civilization. In my view they wouldn't have fought a real battle in millenia. They probably train a lot in case of an invasion, but they have a whole lot of better things to do beyond that, and I hope those things also serve as an inspiration for the Holliday girls, not just the armor and weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Because they are supposed to represent the social values of Wonder Woman, and because I don't like the idea that Amazons are an isolated society and yet they are thought of as just a military civilization. In my view they wouldn't have fought a real battle in millenia. They probably train a lot in case of an invasion, but they have a whole lot of better things to do beyond that, and I hope those things also serve as an inspiration for the Holliday girls, not just the armor and weapons.
    This is why in Perez it would give a reason for the Amazons to still fight. The doom gate could work easily has to why there isn't true peace yet in the Amazons. That is the reason they don't want to open the island. That there are some who want to and others due to what happen. This is kind of why I like the idea of the Amazons being more than just one city. That there are amazons who are more not into the warrior aspects. All i'm saying it would be nice that the Holiday Girls are also linked with the Amazons in some way. Like Diana lives in a City where the Holiday Girls are just a group of girls who have a job to do. They don't necessarily fight. More guided magical creatures

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is why in Perez it would give a reason for the Amazons to still fight. The doom gate could work easily has to why there isn't true peace yet in the Amazons. That is the reason they don't want to open the island. That there are some who want to and others due to what happen. This is kind of why I like the idea of the Amazons being more than just one city. That there are amazons who are more not into the warrior aspects. All i'm saying it would be nice that the Holiday Girls are also linked with the Amazons in some way. Like Diana lives in a City where the Holiday Girls are just a group of girls who have a job to do. They don't necessarily fight. More guided magical creatures
    Yeah I don't dig the Doomgate thing for multiple reasons. First of all because I think Wonder Woman should have a completely unique mythology that has to do with the various notions of femininity and Greek Mythology takes away from creating her own World. It's like instead of Superman having Krypton and Braniac and Parasite, and Metallo, and Mister Mxyztptlk, and Bizarro, and the Phantom Zone, and Zod, and Argo City, well instead of that he replaced it all with norse gods. Superman's mythos is used as a reference even outside of comics, which is amazing. Wonder Woman should also have that. Her own rules, her own creatures, her own villains, her own places. Not mount olympus, not Ares, not anything else. In fact, in Greek Mythology the amazons weren't Greek. They were a foreign tribe with strange customs, and they didn't serve the greek gods nor depend on them. And yes, I'm aware that all those things existed in the Marston comics, but he also had a whole lot of other stuff that populated the island and that they faced that had absolutely nothing to do with Greek Mythology, and that's what DC should have invested in harvesting over the decades.

The second reason why I hate Doomsgate is because the whole point of Marston's story was that the amazons were proof that liberated women could create a society superior to the one we know (of course this was a very naive way of looking at things) and that's what the Amazons should be. They didn't want to live with the rest of humanity so they chose to separate from them and flourised in that enviroment. Doomsgate means that the only reason why they chose to separate from man's world in the first place was to protect Man's World, but it shouldn't be, it should be to protect themselves.

Okay I kind of went on a tangent away from your point, sorry. Just wanted to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    One issue with WWs Amazonian supporting cast is that her origin usually deals with the Amazons being cut off from Mans World and 1 champion being chosen to represent them. Once more and more Amazons show up in Mans World it further diminishes Diana's importance unless Themiscrya is done hiding, anyone is free to leave, or they conclude that Diana needs additional help.
    Themyscira is done hiding the moment Diana becomes Wonder Woman. This idea of Themyscira being closed off to the rest of the world and Diana not being allowed to go back and forth is a recent creation not part of the original comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah I don't dig the Doomgate thing for multiple reasons. First of all because I think Wonder Woman should have a completely unique mythology that has to do with the various notions of femininity and Greek Mythology takes away from creating her own World. It's like instead of Superman having Krypton and Braniac and Parasite, and Metallo, and Mister Mxyztptlk, and Bizarro, and the Phantom Zone, and Zod, and Argo City, well instead of that he replaced it all with norse gods.
    That analogy doesn't quite work because Wonder Woman always Greek mythology in it while Superman has rarely ever interacted with the Norse pantheon.

Superman's mythos is used as a reference even outside of comics, which is amazing. Wonder Woman should also have that. Her own rules, her own creatures, her own villains, her own places. Not mount olympus, not Ares, not anything else. In fact, in Greek Mythology the amazons weren't Greek. They were a foreign tribe with strange customs, and they didn't serve the greek gods nor depend on them. And yes, I'm aware that all those things existed in the Marston comics, but he also had a whole lot of other stuff that populated the island and that they faced that had absolutely nothing to do with Greek Mythology, and that's what DC should have invested in harvesting over the decades.
    With the exception of Azzarello, every Wonder Woman writer has used original creations in addition to characters of Greek mythology. The Amazons themselves are characters of Greek myth and Hippolyta's mythological counterpart is the daughter of Ares in some depictions.

Incredible Member

Simply having a sword and shield doesn't make Diana Warrior Woman. I'm just as adamant about lasso and bracelets and prefer shield and sword not to show up. That being said, pure Wonder Woman depictions - even when the shield and sword are present - rarely depict her as Warrior Woman. Neither animated film did, neither live-action movie, her Rebirth comics, not Dead Earth. Warrior Woman from BVS, Justice League, Injustice, are all from creators who simply do not understand or do not care to understand Wonder Woman and Warrior Woman is an easy and lazy character trait for a character they seem to have little interest in.

In actual dedicated Wonder Woman portrayals, I find people's fear of Warrior Woman to be overstated and oftentimes inaccurate.

Warrior Woman wasn't in BvS or the Justice League movie either whatever flaws those films had.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Warrior Woman wasn't in BvS or the Justice League movie either whatever flaws those films had.
    True. So as of today, Warrior Woman has never shown up on the big screen. It seems Injustice and the New 52 animated films - excluding Bloodlines - are the most widely distributed depictions of Warrior Woman.

That analogy doesn't quite work because Wonder Woman always Greek mythology in it while Superman has rarely ever interacted with the Norse pantheon.

With the exception of Azzarello, every Wonder Woman writer has used original creations in addition to characters of Greek mythology. The Amazons themselves are characters of Greek myth and Hippolyta's mythological counterpart is the daughter of Ares in some depictions.
    I'm not talking about how faithful it is to the original comics, I'm taoking about the necessary changes to give her a more unique and iconic world. And I'm not just taoking about villains. Why does everyone draw Themyscira as if they are Greek revival? Did the amazons have this particulparticular devotion to greek culture and never tried completely different styles over the millenia? Like ai can accept some minot elemnts of greek revival although amplified through science fiction, but most of it should be completely different. While the movie amazons are kind of bland, they at least created a unique architectural style. But Paradise Island should have the same mosaic of unique cultural inspirations as Wakanda.

Hum, the smile gif when she gets thrown around by Doomsday? Like, I can still recognize that Diana enjoys fighting, but more as a dance. I don't think she finds a particular pleasure in punching people repeatedly or stabbing them with a sword.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-14-2021 at 11:21 AM.