Page 380 of 440 FirstFirst ... 280330370376377378379380381382383384390430 ... LastLast
Results 5,686 to 5,700 of 6590

The Azarello run is also the only one that's made it to adaptations and is often championed by higher ups and the Nu52 did bring in some readers. No wonder it has a base since even non comic fans now think WW is the daughter of Zeus. Even some video games used the Zeus origin.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'll say it again: Zeus is a far better villain for Diana than Ares, Hera or Apollo.
    I agree. Zeus should be the final villain.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

A likely controversial opinion - I’d be fine if WW couldn’t fly. Sometimes I think I’d prefer it.
    But then I guess I’d want like 9,000 other characters (outside of Supers and Shazams) to also not have flight.

Yeah, to me main problem with WW not being able to fly is that there are thousands of jobbers who can fly for some reason.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'll say it again: Zeus is a far better villain for Diana than Ares, Hera or Apollo.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I agree. Zeus should be the final villain.
    I used to disagree, but after Historia, I've warmed considerably to Zeus replacing Ares as the Big Bad, with Herakles replacing Deception/Ares's kids as his main agent.

The grand finale of a Wonder Woman film trilogy would be Amazons vs. Gods 2.0.

I feel like making Zeus a major villain would only reaffirm the Daddy Zeus origin to make it more dramatic. My preferred fate for Zeus is the one from Rucka's first run. He should be usurped by his kids, not Diana.

Yeah, if Zeus is big bad then the entire franchise might turn into daughter vs father story. He should be a bad guy, but Ares thematically works better as the big bad.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Azarello run is also the only one that's made it to adaptations and is often championed by higher ups and the Nu52 did bring in some readers. No wonder it has a base since even non comic fans now think WW is the daughter of Zeus. Even some video games used the Zeus origin.
    Not really. Outside of the Zeus origin, nothing about it has really made it into adaptations. The 2009 animated movie and the first live action film pull more from Marston and Perez. Bloodlines was a crappy adaptation of Perez and Jiminez storylines. 1984 was... well I don't know which run it was pulling from but it certainly wasn't Azzarello's.

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    A likely controversial opinion - I’d be fine if WW couldn’t fly. Sometimes I think I’d prefer it.
    But then I guess I’d want like 9,000 other characters (outside of Supers and Shazams) to also not have flight.
    Given how much fans liked the Morrison run, there's more of a case for Superman to lose flight than Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, if Zeus is big bad then the entire franchise might turn into daughter vs father story. He should be a bad guy, but Ares thematically works better as the big bad.
    I'd say Zeus works better thematically given he represents everything Diana hates far more than Ares. He doesn't have to be her father (and shouldn't be) for that to work.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-19-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Sure, if he is not the father then the situation is different.

Azzarello sort of flirted with the idea even with Zeus as the dad. The women he pitted against each other were becoming friends, and the whole mess was his fault.

He just gave Zeus a get out of jail free card at the end, which sucked

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I used to disagree, but after Historia, I've warmed considerably to Zeus replacing Ares as the Big Bad, with Herakles replacing Deception/Ares's kids as his main agent.

The grand finale of a Wonder Woman film trilogy would be Amazons vs. Gods 2.0.
    Wonder Woman isn't about defeating a long dead religion by killing their gods.

She's about revolutionizing society, replacing the current world order with more fulfilling new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, to me main problem with WW not being able to fly is that there are thousands of jobbers who can fly for some reason.
    We've had this discussion numerous times before so I wouldn't be saying anything new, I'm sorry if I'm annoying.

Diana rarely needs flight to solve her issues. Hulk is one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe and he doesn't need to fly, why does Diana?

I agree with Hsssh and Psylock that I don't particularly see anything gained by making Zeus the top bad guy. Him being a bad guy is fine but doing him being overthrown/replaced by the new generation is a more fitting end imo and avoids playing into a father vs. daughter narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wonder Woman isn't about defeating a long dead religion by killing their gods.

She's about revolutionizing society, replacing the current world order with more fulfilling new ones.
    Who said anything about killing any Gods?

And how does a conflict with Zeus preclude any of the stuff you mentioned? She can multitask. And she kind of has to in order to generate stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I agree with Hsssh and Psylock that I don't particularly see anything gained by making Zeus the top bad guy. Him being a bad guy is fine but doing him being overthrown/replaced by the new generation is a more fitting end imo and avoids playing into a father vs. daughter narrative.
    Him being overthrown/replaced is going to be the inevitable finale of his arc as a villain.

While that limits him to only a few stories....we honestly can't get much out of Ares either. Past the origin, nobody really seems to know what to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Who said anything about killing any Gods?

And how does a conflict with Zeus preclude any of the stuff you mentioned? She can multitask. And she kind of has to in order to generate stories.

Him being overthrown/replaced is going to be the inevitable finale of his arc as a villain.

While that limits him to only a few stories....we honestly can't get much out of Ares either. Past the origin, nobody really seems to know what to do with him.
    The comment I responded to was "The grand finale of a Wonder Woman film trilogy would be Amazons vs. Gods 2.0."

This is what I was saying has nothing to do with what Diana is about. The culmination of her saga wouldn't be about destroying a long dead religion by defeating their gods, it would be about the things that stand in the way of change and evolution in our societies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The comment I responded to was "The grand finale of a Wonder Woman film trilogy would be Amazons vs. Gods 2.0."

This is what I was saying has nothing to do with what Diana is about. The culmination of her saga wouldn't be about destroying a long dead religion by defeating their gods, it would be about the things that stand in the way of change and evolution in our societies.
    Zeus and Hercules are the embodiment of some of the ideas that prevent change in our society to this day. She and the Amazons defeating them on multiple fronts (not just in battles) would externalize the themes she tackles. And it would need to involve grand scale action scenes in a live action movie. That just shouldn't be the only thing going on.

Also, you realize the Amazons are pagans, right? How would they be destroying a dead religion exactly? The goddesses are still very much part of their entire culture.