Page 437 of 440 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440 LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 6590
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by primal slayer View Post
    the theme song and wonder spin are iconic. That's what people remember and that's enough
    thank you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    How many people can even name one story or scene from that show? Or even one famous dialogue?

People still quote lines from Batman '66 show, they remember the villains, the iconic scenes like fighting a shark or scaling a wall get referenced to this day.

No offense to Lynda or WW or the show, but the only reason people remember this show is because they all had a crush on Lynda at the time. The main takesway from the show wasn't that Wonder Woman or her side of the world is cool. It was that Lynda Carter is very attractive. That's all there was to it.

How many people can do that for Incredible Hulk tv shows? Fantastic Four shows? Iron Man shows? Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends? I can name 50 shows that NOBODY can do what you are asking. 1 or 2 but not all 3. MAYBE Static Shock and Batman the Animated Series.

Yet no one is dismissing Justice League, Legion, Green Lantern Adventures, Young Justice, Doom Patrol.

To answer you question

I do know she had to cover up in an episode because of Roy Rogers.
    She changed outfits to swim and skate.
    Nubia would have been on the show if it hadn't move networks.

Wasn't the initial question which adaptation of Wonder Woman is considered definitive?

No one's doubting Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is iconic, but does anyone below the age of 50 still consider her the definitive Wonder Woman? Feel like a strong case can be made for Gadot's Diana. Like it or not, there's a generation of fans who consider the DCAU to be THE Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How many people can do that for Incredible Hulk tv shows? Fantastic Four shows? Iron Man shows? Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends? I can name 50 shows that NOBODY can do what you are asking. 1 or 2 but not all 3. MAYBE Static Shock and Batman the Animated Series.

Yet no one is dismissing Justice League, Legion, Green Lantern Adventures, Young Justice, Doom Patrol.
    I'm not sure why you brought these up because people frequently mention specific episodes or story arcs from these shows when talking about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I beg to differ, Wonder Woman 2017 was a roaring success, yet to top it they made it's sequel more like the tv show.
    And we all saw how that turned out.

Till this day Gal Gadot is compared to Lynda Carter.
    Because up until Gadot came along, Carter was the only live-action Wonder Woman we had. Not counting the Cathy Lee Crosby version and the two unaired pilots.

The influence of the Carter show has less to do with its quality and more to do with a lack of Wonder Woman solo adaptations. If we had as many versions of Diana on the big and small screen as Superman and Batman did, the Carter show would be seen as much less significant by anyone younger than 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Wasn't the initial question which adaptation of Wonder Woman is considered definitive?

No one's doubting Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman is iconic, but does anyone below the age of 50 still consider her the definitive Wonder Woman? Feel like a strong case can be made for Gadot's Diana. Like it or not, there's a generation of fans who consider the DCAU to be THE Wonder Woman.
    King himself has stated that he based his Wonder Woman on Gal Gadot's version and the one we saw in the JSA animated movie is also inspired by Gadot's take.

Incredible Member

I gotta stand up for Lynda Carter here and say the strength, sensitivity, likeability and dignity she brought to the part was the main reason the show worked and the reason everyone else is compared to her. Lynda killed it. She wasn't just the first and therefore a default comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    How many people can even name one story or scene from that show? Or even one famous dialogue?

People still quote lines from Batman '66 show, they remember the villains, the iconic scenes like fighting a shark or scaling a wall get referenced to this day.

No offense to Lynda or WW or the show, but the only reason people remember this show is because they all had a crush on Lynda at the time. The main takesway from the show wasn't that Wonder Woman or her side of the world is cool. It was that Lynda Carter is very attractive. That's all there was to it.
    That is simply not true. The show is remembered because of the feelings it awakened within them. It was different and POWERFUL seeing an unapologetically feminine character dressed in the flag and fighting for justice. She was a figure of intellect and a figure of action. Yet she was not handled the way women were handled on most shows. WW was part of a powerful wave sweeping the country. The show and its contemporaries like Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels were showing people POSSIBILITIES not yet considered. It was showering them with new ideas!

Yes, there were indeed those who very much had a sexual response. Absolutely! That existed too as it had for AGES. But made the show impactful was the OTHER thing. It was what had happened decades before when the comic version leapt onto the scene but amplified by the power of TV.

My gramma was one of the ladies affected by WWs first entry into pop culture via the comics and would sit with us and tell tales of how life had changed for her, and how awesome the WW character was. The character is more than the sexualization to which your statement would relegate her.

I have no dog in this race.

I haven't seen the 70's WW show and I am not a huge fan of the Gadot movies.

I will say that Lynda Carter is a complete delight online however. Her, Wil Wheton and Neil Gaiman are often having a ball over on Tumblr.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Not the biggest hot take and kind of pedantic but not a fan of the trend since ToA of the symbol of the Themysciran Amazons being a Lion.

Like even if it has to be a lion, wouldn't a female one make way morse sense given both A) Amazons and B) Lionesses actually doing most of the work in prides?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not the biggest hot take and kind of pedantic but not a fan of the trend since ToA of the symbol of the Themysciran Amazons being a Lion.

Like even if it has to be a lion, wouldn't a female one make way morse sense given both A) Amazons and B) Lionesses actually doing most of the work in prides?

I still don't understand the Lion. It makes sense for Nubia but not the Amazons as a whole. Symbol is a lion while their main Queen of 100s of years and Princess sport eagles? Or doves?

I have to wonder if the lion is in memory of Hercules. Herc DID use a lion symbol. Now there's the obvious question... why would the Amazons use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I still don't understand the Lion. It makes sense for Nubia but not the Amazons as a whole. Symbol is a lion while their main Queen of 100s of years and Princess sport eagles? Or doves?

Head canon:

Themsycira has different houses. Nubia is the current leader and she is the guards the Gateway to the Underworld. Their symbol is the lion because lions often stay back while the lionesses go for the hunt.

Hippolyta and Diana use the eagle and dove symbol.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I don't think Diana being an immortal Amazon need take anything from Superman. As an Amazon and as a Champion of Olympus, there plenty of other places in Creation where adventures and deeds of valor and daring can be performed. Pre-Crisis, the Amazons often answered the call of the Gods to do things on the higher planes while Diana dealt with the parallel machinations on Man's World

I just don't get any mortal thinking an army of helicopters and tanks going to do anything against Wonder Woman. Like, is that panel part of a recycling initiative? A decommissioning or scrap program perhaps?