Page 178 of 190 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 2836
  1. #2656
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Funny that you mention Wheel of Time, because I was quite the fan of the series for a very long while. I even created one of the more highly-regarded personal WoT web sites, 20 years or so ago (no, it's not online anymore, though I think I have a local copy stashed away somewhere).

    But yes, I very much agree that we need more Harleens more than we need Justice League, in terms of developing the storytelling of comics and the way characterisation is done.
    That is my absolute favorite fantasy series of all time. Though Sanderson's Stormlight series, once finished, might give WoT a run for its money (assuming Sanderson and I both live long enough to see it done! Gods dammit Sanderson, write faster!!).

    You've got good points, of course, and there's no excuse for a bad novel (haven't read Island of No Return yet, though I got it for my daughter recently) and comics can express certain things far better than prose (and I'm not discounting the differences in page length, that matters too). I'm just talking about the way prose can dig into a character's head, which comics can't do quite as well. Between the typical action-oriented structure of comics and Diana's character being more complex than most other comic characters, I'm just saying she'd fit nicely into the prose format.

    And don't read Dixon's WoT comics, you shall be disappointed. It was indeed an impossible task, much like trying to turn that behemoth of a story into a tv show. I wish that show all the luck in the world, I hope it's as big a success as Game of Thrones was....but there's no way they can fit the WoT into a tv format without changing and sacrificing a lot of stuff. I don't expect I'll enjoy it for that reason. That's just me being way too picky and loyal to the source material, but if they're gonna adapt the story then I want the actual story, not a third of the story with everything else discarded or twisted up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  2. #2657
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,347

    Default

    I been wondering how touch and thick should Diana’s skin be? We have seen it take a lot to harm her depending on the villain and weapon.

  3. #2658
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I been wondering how touch and thick should Diana’s skin be? We have seen it take a lot to harm her depending on the villain and weapon.
    Superhuman beauty says perfect skin

  4. #2659
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    504

    Default

    My 3 favorite WW runs, in no particular order, are:

    Bryne’s run. I know it’s often panned but I enjoyed it a lot. Still do when I reread it.

    Diana Prince, non powered era. From beginning to end, this reads like a well planned series. Also, the first solo WW stories I ever read. And I really liked the Catwoman cross over.

    Gail Simone. I waited a long time for Gail to take on this character. She did not disappoint (me, at least).

    LEAST FAVORITE :

    I’ve always found all of Rucka’s WW material BORING. Can’t put my finger on why but it just seemed to drag out.

    Any writer that treated Diana like she had no clue about modern technology or had her working at a fast food franchise. SMH.

  5. #2660
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,347

    Default

    Why can't Diana be bullet resistant? I mean waterproof vs water resistant is just waterproof will protect you no matter the rain. Generally, water-resistant will stop if the rain is too heavy. Diana can take bullets but there comes a point where it will harm her too much. They aren't going to bounce off her just pierce her. Those are still wounds and those add up. I still say one wound no matter where should harm her. This woman has taken more terrible hings to the face and heart. I'm not saying she shouldn't die or be harmed. Rather it should take a little more than a lucky shot. She is a superhuman even without being a demi-goddess. A wound to the heart one time she can keep going but at a cost.


    I do have a question if superman uses his laser beam eyes how should that harm her? She has been fired with lasers and depending on the writer they don't kill her.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-13-2020 at 06:40 AM.

  6. #2661
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,586

    Default

    Finally remembered this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You've got good points, of course, and there's no excuse for a bad novel (haven't read Island of No Return yet, though I got it for my daughter recently) and comics can express certain things far better than prose (and I'm not discounting the differences in page length, that matters too). I'm just talking about the way prose can dig into a character's head, which comics can't do quite as well. Between the typical action-oriented structure of comics and Diana's character being more complex than most other comic characters, I'm just saying she'd fit nicely into the prose format.
    I read Island of No Return, and it wasn't a bad young reader fantasy novel by any means. Not great (it doesn't hold a patch to Alexander Lloyd's Prydain books, but then very little does), but a perfectly servicable secondary world fantasy. There were stuff I'd be nitpicky about, but the main thing was that it did hardly feel like a Wonder Woman story. As in, the lead character didn't feel like Diana, and Themyscira didn't feel like Themyscira once the plot got going.

    In a way, it might be trickier for comics (or movies) to make a transition to prose than vice versa, for all the complaints about bad movie adaptations. You want to evoke the grand imagery and fluid action of movies (or comics) via words, and it just ends up as a big jumble of words passing by.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  7. #2662
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,581

    Default

    Still haven't read Island of No Return, my daughter has decided to read it herself rather than have it read to her. So I can't speak for it.

    But you're right, going from a visual medium to a text one presents plenty of challenges. It requires the right writer. Have you read "It's Superman!" by Tom DeHaven? It's a period piece and takes some big liberties with the characters but it's a fantastic read, and I think it does a decent job of getting the action right.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  8. #2663
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,347

    Default

    I think Donna actually growing up with Diana is better than Diana leaving here with the Amazons. With Cassie I had this idea that Diana meets her in Gateway city

  9. #2664
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think Donna actually growing up with Diana is better than Diana leaving here with the Amazons. With Cassie I had this idea that Diana meets her in Gateway city
    Yeah I think that's a good take.

  10. #2665
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    With Cassie I had this idea that Diana meets her in Gateway city
    That's how they met in the comics actually.

  11. #2666
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    My 3 favorite WW runs, in no particular order, are:

    Bryne’s run. I know it’s often panned but I enjoyed it a lot. Still do when I reread it.

    Diana Prince, non powered era. From beginning to end, this reads like a well planned series. Also, the first solo WW stories I ever read. And I really liked the Catwoman cross over.

    Gail Simone. I waited a long time for Gail to take on this character. She did not disappoint (me, at least).

    LEAST FAVORITE :

    I’ve always found all of Rucka’s WW material BORING. Can’t put my finger on why but it just seemed to drag out.

    Any writer that treated Diana like she had no clue about modern technology or had her working at a fast food franchise. SMH.
    We have completely opposite taste in Wonder Woman writers.

  12. #2667
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    My 3 favorite WW runs, in no particular order, are:

    Bryne’s run. I know it’s often panned but I enjoyed it a lot. Still do when I reread it.

    Diana Prince, non powered era. From beginning to end, this reads like a well planned series. Also, the first solo WW stories I ever read. And I really liked the Catwoman cross over.

    Gail Simone. I waited a long time for Gail to take on this character. She did not disappoint (me, at least).

    LEAST FAVORITE :

    I’ve always found all of Rucka’s WW material BORING. Can’t put my finger on why but it just seemed to drag out.

    Any writer that treated Diana like she had no clue about modern technology or had her working at a fast food franchise. SMH.
    Loved Simone's run and the no power era. Are you confusing Rucka with another writer? He wasn't the one who wrote her not knowing what a gas station was. Rucka had her her at the embassy.

  13. #2668
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Loved Simone's run and the no power era. Are you confusing Rucka with another writer? He wasn't the one who wrote her not knowing what a gas station was. Rucka had her her at the embassy.
    Yeah the whole "how do I pump gas?" thing was...Hesinberg? Picoulti? Somewhere around the "One Year Later" thing, circa 2007 or so maybe?

    I'm sure I butchered the spelling of those names but you guys know who I mean right?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  14. #2669
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah the whole "how do I pump gas?" thing was...Hesinberg? Picoulti? Somewhere around the "One Year Later" thing, circa 2007 or so maybe?

    I'm sure I butchered the spelling of those names but you guys know who I mean right?
    It was Jodi Picoult who wrote the gas pump scene and Messner-Loebs who had her working at Taco Wiz. I think Bretmaverick2 was lamenting their runs as well as Rucka's not saying he was responsible for the last sentence too.

  15. #2670
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,347

    Default

    I been thinking about something. How different would things be if Cassie was taken to Paradise Island? Like how old does she generally meet Diana? BY taken I mean like she is ten and Diana or someone from her family takes her to paradise island

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •