Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
I'm kind of iffy on "beauty and loving heart" and "opening men's hearts" as powers.

Beauty as a power doesn't seem very impressive in a superhero universe where even civilian women can be depicted as unrealistically beautiful. A loving heart sounds like if Diana lost her powers she'd be a hateful person. And opening men's hearts raises questions about consent and free will that I don't think the comics were intending to answer.
That's partly why I think they have fallen to the wayside, but it's also why I'd like for writers to re-interpret and examine the gifts from Aphrodite and Hestia. One such way that several writers have picked up on is that Diana is exceedlingly empathetic and compassionate; it's something both Tynion and the movie showed. She's an extraordinary psychological therapist, and I think that could both come from her Amazonian education and training, but also from the gifts from Aphrodite and Hestia working together there.

Another thing, that can be used to tie into the lasso, is that a large part of why Diana is trusted with the lasso is because of her extraordinary empathy: she has an acute feel for when it is appropriate to use the lasso, because she knows when other people aren't telling the truth, but she can also get a "sense" of when it's worthwhile to use the lasso.