Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
I've never been a fan of keeping Wonder Woman in World War II (tied mostly to Diana's age, immortality and other factors), but one thing that's been sticking to me lately is Diana and the Amazons' stated purpose, their mission, is to bring peace and improve the world.
So if Wonder Woman or any Amazon Champion participated in World War II...she failed. She failed as a peacemaker. She failed as a hero.

As much as we (as a country--the United States) love to mythologize WWII because it was the last "good" war with clearly defined "bad guys" that were defeated...there's still the attempted extermination of the Jews, the atrocities the Germans and Russians committed against each other during their fighting, the (arguably) unnecessary bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Among many other things 'cause, you know, it was a freaking war.

Captain America in WWII kind of gets by because he's just a soldier fighting battles and he's not as powerful. But, again, Wonder Woman & the Amazons stated mission is to bring peace. I can't imagine Diana or Hippolyta or any Amazon allowing that to happen, nor do I see them letting politics stop them.

At least the first Wonder Woman movie had her only appear at the end of World War I. And I guarantee the sequel is not going to dwell much (if at all) on what Diana did during the 30's and early 40's. Because there is no good answer unless you go full "alternate history."

This is what I meant when I said making the Amazons a part of past history turns them into defenders of the status quo. Because you have to reconcile how/why a lot of nasty crap happened despite their presence. They either tried to improve things and failed consistently, or felt it wasn't their place to interfere and limited their actions to punching bad guys. The "Why doesn't Superman just fly over and overthrow this dictator" excuse.

That's why it's better narratively for the Amazons to cut themselves off from the world until Diana leaves in modern times. And why I think, if you are going to have previous Amazon Champions, limit to five or six over the thousands of years.
I largely agree, it's another reason why I'm not fond of the seeming new retcon of Diana back to WW2 with #750. Mainly because I don't really see a good enough reason she'd go back to Themyscira following the end of the war only to come back decades later and I also don't really see DC going completely alternate history from 1941 onwards if she stays active up to the present.