Page 120 of 440 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 6586

I mean Dan always is trying things but it’s not working. New 52 was his main baby. But the majority of the comics failed. 5G could be the same thing. They picked a man who never worked in comics. So this is what to aspected

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It confuses me too. I mean, I think I can see the business sense of doing 5G successors. DC's trying to find new audiences and reach people they typically haven't reached before, and doing the "Son of Superman" and similar legacies is far more likely to attract the YA crowd than the story of our main continuity Superman. And we've got successful novels and OGN's featuring younger takes on these classic characters, so doing comics about their successors seems like it's worth a try.

But not in the direct market. The idea that the direct market product might switch over baffles me. The consumers who are already here don't want this, and those new audiences DC wants to reach aren't going into a LCS for 5G either. So why put 5G through Diamond? I feel like a bunch of bookstore OGN's based on the 5G replacements or digital books would've made a lot more sense than doing it in the direct market.
    I'm thinking the 5G thing is troubling on a strictly creative level. It's top-down storytelling in the absolutely worst way.

It's more piecing together all the stories they want told and then telling creators exactly how their stories are to connect and when. Moving around the stories they have instead of making new stories, or gaining a new insight into an old character or story.

As for creating younger characters, kids are great at recognising bullshitting. If they want a Superman story, they want a Superman story, not some hand-me-down copy.

The whole shared world and constant continuity is simply weighing down DC and its creators.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

My main issue is the fact due to 5G is the fact the timeline is messy. How is Diana now been here since WW2 when she was stated to be here only for a bit and the fact what Rucka set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because look at their track record. The higher ups at DC (and yes, the usual fall guy Didio is a part of this) want to be the ones who save DC. They're a quarterback that only throws Hail Mary passes. When it works, they're the guy who made the hero play that we all look back on fondly. Problem is this isn't a movie, there's no soundtrack behind these decisions with a melodramatic upswell during a closeup and it hasn't worked yet.
    Oh, I know. I'm just saying I think I can see some of the business reasoning they're using. I don't think it'll work, I can just see the logic they're using. I think.

It really is baffling.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    As for creating younger characters, kids are great at recognising bullshitting. If they want a Superman story, they want a Superman story, not some hand-me-down copy.
    I'm pretty sure 5G is aimed at people who don't want a Superman story, but might be intrigued by the twist of his heir.

We've got plenty of stuff featuring the real characters aimed at kids. We've got stuff like Superman Smashes the Klan, and there's OGN's featuring teen versions of the Trinity in high school (or something like that). So I can see there being audiences for successors. I just think bringing that into the main line is corporate suicide. There's an audience for Jon Kent as Superman, but I don't think that audience is going to be found in the hobby shops.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm pretty sure 5G is aimed at people who don't want a Superman story, but might be intrigued by the twist of his heir.

We've got plenty of stuff featuring the real characters aimed at kids. We've got stuff like Superman Smashes the Klan, and there's OGN's featuring teen versions of the Trinity in high school (or something like that). So I can see there being audiences for successors. I just think bringing that into the main line is corporate suicide. There's an audience for Jon Kent as Superman, but I don't think that audience is going to be found in the hobby shops.
    I'm of the opposite belief. Kids knows that Clark Kent is Superman, and that Bruce Wayne is Batman. They want the real thing.

Jon Kent as Superman will only appeal to the people who are already invested in the DC universe, and even then arguably a subset of them.

Ink and Zoom also shows this. They've largely featured first-generation heroes; the closest they have come to a legacy character is Shadow of the Bat.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm of the opposite belief. Kids knows that Clark Kent is Superman, and that Bruce Wayne is Batman. They want the real thing.

Jon Kent as Superman will only appeal to the people who are already invested in the DC universe, and even then arguably a subset of them.

Ink and Zoom also shows this. They've largely featured first-generation heroes; the closest they have come to a legacy character is Shadow of the Bat.
    Well, whether I'm right or you are, either way 5G isn't likely to find success in the LCS.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't really like anybody supplanting Superman as the first superhero (at least the first very visible, public one), but if it has to be anyone, I agree that Diana is the only choice I'm fine with.

But I mainly don't like that this is undoing Year One. And maybe Godwatch too, which is my favorite WW arc from recent years.
    I'm not feeling 5g either because I prefer a more young fun diana with "new world" feel. Plus it helps give her mother more of a role with diana young.

Have we seen how the world first reacts to Wonder Woman?
    The movie kind of touches on it a bit, but there could be more stories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Yes, the George Perez run.

The movie kind of touches on it a bit, but there could be more stories about it.
    Rucka's first run is probably the most interesting example, with Down to Earth and Bitter Pills.

The Legend of Wonder Woman by De Liz and Dillon also includes more than a bit of it, as does Bombshells by Bennett and Sauvage, but those are outside the mainline. The same is true for Morrison's "Earth One" (for all that I intensely dislike it).

(But I think this is a question that would go better in appreciation or its own thread than controversial opinions.)

The controversial opinion being that there should be a lot more of them.
    Naming 2 or 3 examples isn't impressive.

The controversial opinion being that there should be a lot more of them.
    Naming 2 or 3 examples isn't impressive.
    Why do you need more than one? It's just a rehash of her origin and we have enough of those. There's only so many ways you can tell the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why do you need more than one? It's just a rehash of her origin and we have enough of those. There's only so many ways you can tell the same story.
    Oh, I definitely agree with the premise of the question, and in fact I think this is a sadly underdeveloped vein of storytelling and themes for Wonder Woman. Amongst DC's superheroes, she is the one who most embodies the concept of change, and on a societal scale.

Veronica Cale's opposition to Diana doesn't come from any personal animus, but from resistance to and fear of the changes that Diana represents.

I'm curious wouldn't Cassie be Diana's sister and aunt? With Donna, I would honestly like it if Diana and Donna actually grew up together.