Page 329 of 329 FirstFirst ... 229279319325326327328329
Results 4,921 to 4,925 of 4925
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My controversial take of the day:

Trying to set Diana up as having been a hero since WW2 and the first superhero doesn't really do her any favors. It creates lots of nebulous questions about when she left the island, what's up with Steve, why did things continue as normal despite her being there, etc. The only thing it does is make her "important" and trying to turn her into who Superman was in real life, but it doesn't actually prop her up in a meaningful way. If you want her to have golden age adventures, just have her get stuck back in time for a while. She's immortal. They more or less did this with Hippolyta and it works better than "she was actually there in WW2 just don't think about anything else la la la we can't hear you okay present day."

Her being the first or having been around that long has impacted nothing. The world is unchanged. It's superficial and only there to try and make her seem important. She doesn't need it.

I don't care that she predates Superman, Batman, Alan and Jay or is being sold as the first superhero. I do care that it basically turns her internal narrative semi-radioactive in a way that reminds all too much of the Hawks. She had a pretty great origin story that didn't need mucking up, but lo, they did it anyway.
    The only way it would it really work for me would be if DC really committed to it in that our history, once Diana enters WW2, pretty much goes into straight alternate history since it kind of seems DC wants it both ways in this in that she was the first superhero but for the most part our world isn't that different until whatever the most recent generation is.

For the record, I don't think SuperWonder is much better. I do think Clark better matches with Diana (especially since modern Bruce has shifted further and further from someone Diana would actually care about as anything other than a friend), but I'd be fine never seeing either of them again.
    SuperWonder is the lesser evil of the two to me for largely the reasons you mentioned but yeah, definitely doesn't help "WonderBat" the reason it even has as many supporters as it does is because of a cartoon where crushing on Batman was the only memorable legacy she had on that show.

But we also live in a world where Kingdom Come and Injustice exist, which also usually involve fridging Lois, so Diana in a relationship with Superman has it's own unique problems lol.
    Last edited by Gaius; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.

My controversial take of the day:

Trying to set Diana up as having been a hero since WW2 and the first superhero doesn't really do her any favors. It creates lots of nebulous questions about when she left the island, what's up with Steve, why did things continue as normal despite her being there, etc. The only thing it does is make her "important" and trying to turn her into who Superman was in real life, but it doesn't actually prop her up in a meaningful way. If you want her to have golden age adventures, just have her get stuck back in time for a while. She's immortal. They more or less did this with Hippolyta and it works better than "she was actually there in WW2 just don't think about anything else la la la we can't hear you okay present day."

Her being the first or having been around that long has impacted nothing. The world is unchanged. It's superficial and only there to try and make her seem important. She doesn't need it.

I don't care that she predates Superman, Batman, Alan and Jay or is being sold as the first superhero. I do care that it basically turns her internal narrative semi-radioactive in a way that reminds all too much of the Hawks. She had a pretty great origin story that didn't need mucking up, but lo, they did it anyway.
    This is why I'm not bothered by when writers (supposedly) make Diana a Red Sonja or Xena ripoff. Making her a Captain America ripoff is infinitely worse.
    Last edited by Agent Z; Today at 12:53 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is why I'm not bothered by when writers (supposedly) make Diana a Red Sonja or Xena ripoff. Making her a Captain America ripoff is infinitely worse.
    I think Cap has more similar to her character, with the Xena/Sonja stuff largely being superficial, but I do agree that transplanting her setting/relevance does more harm than good.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Making Diana active during WWII is a retcon that’s never going to have a satisfying explanation in the current DC cannon.

You can only either completely recreate what she was doing in that time or say all her books since her debut are cannon now. The first one is unsatisfying and the second just makes the retcon even more confusing. (Cap has a scape-goat cuz you can always say he was on ice during that time period)

You can kind of do something in the middle and cherry pick older stories that where cannon, but then you’ll have to tweak those stories too because they don’t work in the context of modern day anymore…

It’s like they want to do what Marvel does, but Marvel works on a sliding timeline. So even though The Dark Phoenix saga is always cannon, it didn’t happen in the 70’s when it is being revisited in the context of a modern day story. That doesn’t work when you say you’re hero is immortal, and was alive during that time period.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; Today at 06:16 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Making Diana active during WWII is a retcon that’s never going to have a satisfying explanation in the current DC cannon.

You can only either completely recreate what she was doing in that time or say all her books since her debut are cannon now. The first one is unsatisfying and the second just makes the retcon even more confusing. (Cap has a scape-goat cuz you can always say he was on ice during that time period)

You can kind of do something in the middle and cherry pick older stories that where cannon, but then you’ll have to tweak those stories too because they don’t work in the context of modern day anymore…

It’s like they want to do what Marvel does, but Marvel works on a sliding timeline. So even though The Dark Phoenix saga is always cannon, it didn’t happen in the 70’s when it is being revisited in the context of a modern day story. That doesn’t work when you say you’re hero is immortal, and was alive during that time period.
    Cap's also just super-soldier while it's kind to believe WW2 doesn't end within the week of Diana coming to Man's World.