Page 105 of 438 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 6569

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Why can't we have nice stuff? Almost every time a creator comes up with something new, creative or too fantastic there's a backlash and it's erased. I'm speaking specifically of the floating Themyscira and the Wonder Dome but it's happened in other instances too, like with Rucka's version of the gods and Chiang's re-imagining of their designs. We don't give things a chance to catch on and we're often wrong. The first time the Golden Eagle Armor appeared in Wonder Woman's actual book it was dubbed "The Screaming Chicken Armor" in an attempt to discredit and make fun of it, yet years later it's become a celebrated part of Wonder Woman 1984 that most people like. The floating Themyscira was beautiful but labeled too fairy tale like and unrealistic so Rucka had Hera kick it into the sea. Can you imagine how it would appear in live action?

Attachment 90940

Meanwhile Superman gets to usurp the Bermuda Triangle once home of Paradise Island for something like this...

Attachment 90941
    We've all got out dislikes. How many times have you complained about Diana not having a secret identity or her using a sword?

People didn't like the golden armor because it looked poorly designed and I find the sudden love for it kind of hilarious given its association with Kingdom Come. I also don't recall any complaints about the floating island. Writers have never been consistent with where Themyscira is located and the Bermuda Triangle is not exclusive to Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-01-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We've all got out dislikes. How many times have you complained about Diana not having a secret identity or her using a sword?

People didn't like the golden armor because it looked poorly designed and I find the sudden love for it kind of hilarious given its association with Kingdom Come. I also don't recall any complaints about the floating island. Writers have never been consistent with where Themyscira is located and the Bermuda Triangle is not exclusive to Wonder Woman.
    I can only recall two threads and the sword thing wasn't me. It's often unnecessary and overdone but I don't rail against it either. Thanks though for proving my point about the armor.

I can only recall two threads and the sword thing wasn't me. It's often unnecessary and overdone but I don't rail against it either. Thanks though for proving my point about the armor.
    I mean the armor is appearing in the movie so clearly all the complaints about it amounted to nothing. I personally don't like it but you can decry the backlash against it when it clearly hasn't gone away.

Frankly, I don't see why everything in Diana's history has to be thrown in and I can think of better things worth keeping than the golden armor. Which ironically enough plays into the warrior angle thiz board seems to hate so much.

I mean the armor is appearing in the movie so clearly all the complaints about it amounted to nothing. I personally don't like it but you can decry the backlash against it when it clearly hasn't gone away.

Frankly, I don't see why everything in Diana's history has to be thrown in and I can think of better things worth keeping than the golden armor. Which ironically enough plays into the warrior angle thiz board seems to hate so much.
    The title of this thread is "Wonder Woman Controversial Opinions" I gave mine.

The reason I like the armor (besides it looking cool in the trailer ) is that, for me, it brings back the Diana I love; peace loving, no sword or armor for every day use, and what appears to be golden armor for specific times of need.

I was never against the idea of Diana using a sword, I was just against her carrying sword and shield 24/7. I despised that she used it to attack Hal Jordan over in JL, and that it was her go-to offense and defense.

It fit when she first arrived in the movies because she didn't have her full powers, and because this is what she had been trained to do. I'm loving the current stance by Patty Jenkins that it's not necessary today; that over the last 100 years Diana learned to set the weapons aside and use her strength, martial prowess, lasso and tiara.

So special-occasion armor is just fine by me!

I didn't even realize the armor came from the comics and thought it was dreadful (and I thought it might be on purpose, as an 80s fashion comment) when I saw it in the trailer. Opinions vary, just the way it is.

Why can't we have nice stuff? Almost every time a creator comes up with something new, creative or too fantastic there's a backlash and it's erased. I'm speaking specifically of the floating Themyscira and the Wonder Dome but it's happened in other instances too, like with Rucka's version of the gods and Chiang's re-imagining of their designs. We don't give things a chance to catch on and we're often wrong. The first time the Golden Eagle Armor appeared in Wonder Woman's actual book it was dubbed "The Screaming Chicken Armor" in an attempt to discredit and make fun of it, yet years later it's become a celebrated part of Wonder Woman 1984 that most people like. The floating Themyscira was beautiful but labeled too fairy tale like and unrealistic so Rucka had Hera kick it into the sea. Can you imagine how it would appear in live action?

Attachment 90940

Meanwhile Superman gets to usurp the Bermuda Triangle once home of Paradise Island for something like this...

Attachment 90941
    Interesting I never knew Themyscaria used to be in the Triangle. To be fair Xebel was already under the waters there, and Supes will inevitably move back to the North Pole at some point. Not sure that Themyscaria gains or loses anything by being there or not being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Interesting I never knew Themyscaria used to be in the Triangle. To be fair Xebel was already under the waters there, and Supes will inevitably move back to the North Pole at some point. Not sure that Themyscaria gains or loses anything by being there or not being there.
    It's a moot point, Themyscira can be anywhere. It's just that I hate to see things (and villains) mindlessly discarded by one franchise flourish in another.

Like I said before, it's as if we can't have nice things. The weapon storing bracelets, them generating lightning and God Mode are other prime examples. Gone too are the Fires of Hestia provided by the lasso offering protection for the encircled, the lasso hanging out of sight but not out of reach in another dimension, it's ability to transform clothing, the Wonder spin and other all but forgotten underused abilities like animal communication and tiara throwing. There wouldn't be a need for power creep and additions if everything were canon and remained available.

It's a moot point, Themyscira can be anywhere. It's just that I hate to see things (and villains) mindlessly discarded by one franchise flourish in another.

Like I said before, it's as if we can't have nice things. The weapon storing bracelets, them generating lightning and God Mode are other prime examples. Gone too are the Fires of Hestia provided by the lasso offering protection for the encircled, the lasso hanging out of sight but not out of reach in another dimension, it's ability to transform clothing, the Wonder spin and other all but forgotten underused abilities like animal communication and tiara throwing. There wouldn't be a need for power creep and additions if everything were canon and remained available.
    You consider all those "nice things" - many of us don't. You say there wouldn't be need for power creep and additions if all things were canon and remained available - I say these were power creep and additions in the first place. And none of them sound like ones I like (only four of them are ones I am particularly familiar with).

Astonishing Member

This entire thread just reminds me of this meme:
    hqdefault.jpg
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Most of these did not get any complaints at all. WW writers have never needed fan negativity as an excuse to remove something. And while I don't necessarily hate these, I can think of at least two that are completely superfluous and add nothing of value to the WW mythos. Namely the lasso being in another dimension which is one of the more obscure WW trivia and the Wonder Spin which is only relevant to the Lynda Carter show.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This entire thread just reminds me of this meme:
    hqdefault.jpg
    No one's stopping anyone from enjoying anything. Koriand'r is just complaining that other people don't like what they like.

You want to talk about not being allowed to enjoy anything try being a fan of the Snyder movies or the Titans t.v. show.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-02-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Again "Controversial Opinions" you don't have to agree and all opinions are valid.

Astonishing Member

Again "Controversial Opinions" you don't have to agree and all opinions are valid.
    I concur.

10 characters
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

And actually no, the spin has been comics canon too.

spin 34.jpg

spin wwspindodson.jpg

Though not as ubiquitous as the lasso transformation...

spin 997058_original.jpg

lasso transformation.jpg