Page 137 of 440 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I love the Zeus sperm donor origin. It reminds me of Laurie Juspeczyk.
    Silk Spectre wasn't created to be an iconic representation of female empowerment, therefore the sordid details of her child's paternity are unimportant. The same isn't true for Wonder Woman who's uniqueness stems from being a wholly female magical birth blessed by the gods. One is mythic and profound the other is cheap b-movie soap opera.

"Hey you know that nice warrior Queen lady you looked up to? Well it turns out she was an adulterous whore who risked the safety of her entire nation to get knocked up by a serial rapist."

It just doesn't sound as nice, the whole story goes from being epic to salacious.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    One is mythic and profound the other is cheap b-movie soap opera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    t just doesn't sound as nice, the whole story goes from being epic to salacious.
    We have wildly different definitions for Hippolyte, Zeus, "mythic", and "soap opera". I'm sure we've had this conversation before and I'm sure we'll have it again.

The Juspeczyk comparison is about the mythology of identity and the crisis that comes with revelation. Mythology, identity, crisis and revelation are all Wonder Woman themes. That said, the Comedian has a lot in common with Zeus.

When has identity crisis and revelation been Wonder Woman themes? Outside of Azzarello anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When has identity crisis and revelation been Wonder Woman themes? Outside of Azzarello anyway.
    There's a comma between identity and crisis.

Wonder Woman helps her villains redefine their identities and be true to themselves. Crisis is the type of conflict she's best in.

Okay. Guess I don't see how that connects to the Zeus origin but we all see things in certain ways.

I agree that it's a Black Label storyline that doesn't belong in kid's books. Everywhere else the mythology of the clay birth should dominate.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Retired

Weren't all the original Amazons formed from clay? Maybe the women that joined their tribe later weren't, but I thought Hippolyte and her sisters were brought to life from the clay (either by Aphrodite or Ares). The idea that people are born of the Earth is a thing in Greek mythology. You have tribes of men that spring out of the Earth from dragon's teeth sewn in the ground, like plants. Or people moulded out of clay. And then there's also individuals who are transformed into trees or stones or other things of the Earth. Gaea being the mother of everyone, this concept of earthly birth (and return to the Earth) was very strong with the Ancient Greeks.

In defense of the Papi Zeus origin, there was a precedent for what Diana's parents had, together. Throughout history, kings had royal consorts, in faraway places, who were well respected and quite common. Among Zeus's mortal lovers, there were a few royal consorts.

Queen Hippolyte is not diminished, at all, by having a child, with Zeus.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

But it's over done. Across all the media Zeus having kids is so over done. Why can't Hippoltya simply have the clay origin? Also Zeus has tried to secude Diana in Dc before. We have seem him cruel to his own wife. So tell me why would a woman like Hippoltya want to sleep with a rapist and a woman abuse? It does diminish Hippoltya when she knows Hera has suffered. Why can't Diana's powers be due to her mother being Ares's granddaughter? Ares in the myths was Hippoltya's father. Diana can have a normal dad

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Weren't all the original Amazons formed from clay? Maybe the women that joined their tribe later weren't, but I thought Hippolyte and her sisters were brought to life from the clay (either by Aphrodite or Ares). The idea that people are born of the Earth is a thing in Greek mythology. You have tribes of men that spring out of the Earth from dragon's teeth sewn in the ground, like plants. Or people moulded out of clay. And then there's also individuals who are transformed into trees or stones or other things of the Earth. Gaea being the mother of everyone, this concept of earthly birth (and return to the Earth) was very strong with the Ancient Greeks.
    In marston's yes. All the Amazons were created by Aphrodite. In fact Diana wasn't the only Amazon kid. Just the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Ignoring continuity is never a smart decision. A lot of people care about it and would have ask again and again who is Diana's brother.
    Hope? No one really wanted Jason. We have Donna and Cassie not being used then we have to accept Jason has her twin. When they could easily forget about him. There was no need for Jason. We had Nubia, we had Cassie or Donna. We don't need to add to family members. Unlike Batman or Superman family Dc won't used many.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-21-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Being described as a “child of Ares” meant you were furious in battle. Gods are not only personifications but figures of speech.

Don’t get it twisted.

Spectacular Member

There was no need for Jason.
    I didn't say there was a need for Jason, i said there was a need to adress his existence because of continuity. And Robinson delivered that.

In the myths it's stated Ares did have a lover and they did have children. So why am I getting it twisted? There is one version of the tale Ares fathered the Amazons. Also, why would Hippoltya do this? She lied and Hippolyta has always been on her weak moment with writers. It's not so much she lied rather more we have seen her stand up to the gods. Why would this be any different? She has battled the Gods. Why not Theseus being the dad? He has a relationship with Hippotlya. To risk everything for a few moments?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-21-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    We have wildly different definitions for Hippolyte, Zeus, "mythic", and "soap opera". I'm sure we've had this conversation before and I'm sure we'll have it again.

The Juspeczyk comparison is about the mythology of identity and the crisis that comes with revelation. Mythology, identity, crisis and revelation are all Wonder Woman themes. That said, the Comedian has a lot in common with Zeus.
    Since when is "identity" a Wonder Woman theme? In 1942 she knew how she was created and brought to life, there was no mystery. There was no big reveal. That is until her origin was altered for no good reason just to get male parts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    In defense of the Papi Zeus origin, there was a precedent for what Diana's parents had, together. Throughout history, kings had royal consorts, in faraway places, who were well respected and quite common. Among Zeus's mortal lovers, there were a few royal consorts.

Queen Hippolyte is not diminished, at all, by having a child, with Zeus.
    Hippolyte having a sexual relationship with and having a child with Zeus, widely known to be somebody's husband, does NOT diminish Hippolyte? Or WW'S mythos?