Page 140 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I've yet to be convinced the addition of the Bana was a good one for the brand, but I *do* think the Amazon nation —being comprised of families, merchants, and refugees from Persia to Crimea to Sudan —should have a pantheon of syncretized gods. "Hera" could be syncretized with Anahita and Isis. The Amazons could interpret their Hera's sons to have animal heads. The Amazons could believe the Titans were turned into islands. Their Hecate could be much more like Ereshkigal, and rule a region of the Underworld. I dunno. I can throw out ideas all night.
    Yeah, that would be interesting and make them unique to WW's world rather than just copy-pasting the regular Greek Gods from the real world.

Maybe that’s what I’ll do with my quarantine creativity. Read up on various creation myth structures in the region and quilt together an “Amazon” mythology. Still PRIMARILY Greek, but a little Tiamat here, a little Dagon there. Instead of 12 gods, maybe it’s an ogdoad. Merge Demeter, Hestia and Hera. Make Persephone the underworld identity of Hebe...

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I've yet to be convinced the addition of the Bana was a good one for the brand
    Yes, Pérez's presentation of the Bana-Mighdall is steeped in racism and men's fear of women capable of violence. Later writers who picked it up doubled down on these things.

But the idea of a fracture in Amazon society after their freedom from slavery is powerful, and can give great opportunities to explore the values of the original Amazon society, give a story arc to Themyscira that isn't tied to becoming closer—or more similar—to Man's World, and can give Diana additional texture using Hegelian dialectics.

The Bana-Mighdall were not a bad idea. They were to me something worse: a good—even great—idea that was badly executed.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I really liked the Perez version that included the other Olympian goddesses and Hermes as their matron goddesses.

Hera was one of the best things about the Azz run and I’d like to see more of the Olympians interacting with Diana’s friends and a deeper list of her villains to help complicate her life and enrich her world.
    I always felt that Aphrodite, Athena, and Artemis was enough for Wonder Woman's patrons. Less is more.

I do agree that female partorns should be women. Is it me or does anyone else feel that Diana is somewhat cursed. That most of the most famous runs are by men not by women? I have no problem with that. It
    '

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-a...-wonder-woman/

What do you guys think? unbreakable skin. Yet she can be shoot at. If we do make her bulletproof how should that work? I do think she can get shot at but it won't kill her. She does have a healing factor

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

What do you guys think? unbreakable skin. Yet she can be shoot at. If we do make her bulletproof how should that work? I do think she can get shot at but it won't kill her. She does have a healing factor
    Just make her bulletproof. If she can take a punch from Superman, a rifle really shouldn't be a threat to her. And don't make this some RPG thing where she's resistant to blunt and not piercing. Bullets pierce because of their velocity and the small point of impact increasing the pressure over a tiny surface area, but it's still blunt force trauma over a tiny localized point. By that same logic, instead of punching her, Superman or anyone of sufficient strength would just have to poke her at high speed and she'd be split in twain. That's dumb. So is Diana being shot.
    Last edited by Robanker; 04-26-2020 at 12:26 PM.

I think it makes a "kind" of sense. Diana's a mythical creature, and not entirely subject to the same laws and rules of nature the rest of us are. Diana being vulnerable to bullets and piercing damage and man-made weapons....it's all tied up in the philosophy behind her creation. I mean, she'd lose her powers if she was bound by a man. Obviously it's all wrapped up in the kind of feminism Marston built her from. So, sure, I can believe that a woman made out of clay and given life by gods could shrug off a mountain being dropped on her but still be hurt by a rifle; a weapon of war made by Man.

I don't think that kind of approach is a good idea when you've got dozens of people writing the character though. When Diana's powers have that kind of variability to them it becomes way too hard to maintain any consistency, and comics can't manage that in the first place. But conceptually I think it makes a certain kind of sense, in like, a metaphysical sort of way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

IIWUTM:

I'd give her all the baseline "superman" superpowers: Strength, Invulnerability, Flight, Speed, Intelligence. But while he can survive in outer space, and has heat and other visions... she has an armory of magical/divine weaponry.

Her only real unique superpower would be the ability to understand and speak any language.

I feel the vulnerability to bullets is one of the things that makes her Wonder Woman and not Super Woman. That goes along with mythology, magic artifacts, compassion, rehabilitating enemies, communicating with animals and feminism.

Spectacular Member

Bulletproof all the way. My diana was always.

If she's bullet proof then why does she need/use bracelets?

Sometimes I think a lot of people here just want to make WW as powerful as possible without considering without considering how these might impact the broader character.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In order to control the ricochet. She's not about to let bullets that bounce off her fly all over the place.

I'm fine with Diana not having Superman-level invulnerability since I think that's what the bracelets and her other powers/weapons make up for.

Then again I've always tended to assume the average Amazon has a way higher stamina than the average human.

People who insist Diana shouldn't be bulletproof often argue it would make her too much like Superman. Of course, some of these same people have no problem with her having a secret identity or living in a fictional city just like Superman.

Has anyone ever considered that maybe sending a superhuman Amazon fighter against normal humans like sending cannons to kill flies?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Sometimes I think a lot of people here just want to make WW as powerful as possible without considering without considering how these might impact the broader character.
    What's wrong with the bracelets just being worn as accessories? You can still keep the history of them being worn so the Amazons never forget their enslavement. Of all the issues facing Diana's character, why can't she use the bracelets is very, very low on the list.