Page 143 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 6590

One thing I would like is they being back her Dr villians back. I mean Doris, Dr.Cyber, Bynda are all of her evil Dr. We saw Diana finding Blue Snowman. Which was a mech suit. I mean I don't mind that she is a hologram but I would love it if she got her body back and was a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Solution: More sword fights! There are lots of WW characters who can and do use weapons.
    My solution was to have her being pulled into quasi-magical realms like Gemworld, Clea’s Atlantis, Skartaris, the Underworld, other magical islands where her vulnerabilities are different and the use of more archaic weaponry is commonplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Except, unfortunately, she does get shot, far too frequently for my liking.

Rucka had her shot in the back in the first year of her being in the US. In JL she almost died because (ironically) she took a bullet to the throat from a ricochet off of Superman's chest. DC, being inconsistent as hell, has her get up from the shot in Rucka's title, while needing emergency help and almost dying in Justice League.

Either way, twice within a very short span post-nu52, Diana was shot with an ordinary bullet.

Batman's armor is bulletproof. Aquaman took a bullet to the skull with just a scratch. There are numerous superheroes in the DC universe who are bulletproof.

Diana can deflect to avoid those ricochets that are apparently lethal to her teammates, let alone innocent bystanders. She can also use them to deflect higher powered attacks, like energy blasts from other metahumans, or higher powered laser weapons.

It just strikes me as wrong that a woman with the experience she has and who *has* been shot isn't smart enough to consider armor.

Making her bulletproof doesn't do away with the bracelets, it just gives her a boost (as other heroes have gotten over the years) without her having to wear armor so she can't be killed by any street punk who shoots her in the back.
    The main problem being Dc's inconsistency. She should have never been hit by a bullet in the first place....

At this point I’d go with bulletproof, but she does the bullets and bracelets thing for fun as it’s part of her heritage. I liked the comment someone on a page or two prior that Diana does it as it’s a skill and takes people off guard, especially if she redirect the ricocheted bullets in an offensive, as well as defensive, way.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing I would like is they being back her Dr villians back. I mean Doris, Dr.Cyber, Bynda are all of her evil Dr. We saw Diana finding Blue Snowman. Which was a mech suit. I mean I don't mind that she is a hologram but I would love it if she got her body back and was a threat.
    I’ve had some fun lately plotting a story utilizing Diana’s Doctors: Giganta, Cheetah, Doctor Poison, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho, and the surprising return of Doctor Domino.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’ve had some fun lately plotting a story utilizing Diana’s Doctors: Giganta, Cheetah, Doctor Poison, Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho, and the surprising return of Doctor Domino.
    You know, despite having two of the DCU's intellectual heaviest hitters in Superman's rogues gallery, I think Diana may have the most educated rogues tit-for-tat in comics. Shame we're still hung up on the celestial toga crowd.

Extraordinary Member

A true compromise on the bullets and bracelets issue is to find a reason that let's bullets hurt her while keeping her tough enough to not be hurt by nukes or Superman level punches.

If Diana's bulletproof, then keeping the Bullets and bracelets around is nothing more than a contrivance.

And keeping the bullets and bracelets iconography is by far and away more important than her being bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You know, despite having two of the DCU's intellectual heaviest hitters in Superman's rogues gallery, I think Diana may have the most educated rogues tit-for-tat in comics. Shame we're still hung up on the celestial toga crowd.
    Supes has a lot of smart people as villains, though I'm not sure if guys like Conduit have degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    A true compromise on the bullets and bracelets issue is to find a reason that let's bullets hurt her while keeping her tough enough to not be hurt by nukes or Superman level punches.
    I think we already have one, don't we? Diana's a mythical being.

It doesn't have to make scientific sense, we're dealing with gods and demigods. It only has to make philosophical sense. It's not the bullet, it's what the bullet represents.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It doesn't have to make scientific sense, we're dealing with gods and demigods. It only has to make philosophical sense. It's not the bullet, it's what the bullet represents.
    So a hail of bullets wouldn’t hurt... but a sniper’s attack would, provided the sniper has furious, specific hatred? That’s an interesting lil wrinkle, and makes villains who HATE Diana a lot more threatening.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think we already have one, don't we? Diana's a mythical being.

It just reminds me too much of back when she couldn't fly, but glide on air currents. Obtuse reasoning to try and obfuscate her powers. If the Flash chucking a rock at her won't kill her, a bullet shouldn't. I understand your arguments for allowing the bullets to act as a metaphor, but take a step back and remember DC's broad history of constantly scaling Diana up and down, almost as if to humble her. I just don't like it. I'd rather Diana just be impervious to un-enchanted terrestrial arsenals. Even Aquaman is more durable than her and she should always be on or above his level of strength/durability.

If we absolutely must retain her weakness to bullets, yeah, tie it into gods and demigods. Make it her deity-imposed Achilles Heel. Manmade weapons may cut her otherwise impervious flesh, perhaps as a way to keep her from ever becoming detached as the gods tend to. I imagine it'd be Athena or Hera who gives her this weakness in hopes it staves off the ill behavior that often besets deities and their offspring.

I still don't like it, though.

The bullets and bracelets thing made sense to me for the same reason Bruce dodges body shots even though they won't break his armor: she's a trained warrior. She's not going to just let someone hit her if she can help it. Moreover, it lets her control the trajectory of projectiles that ricochet off her. I dunno, I never felt the need to question that.

Also in Marston’s it was also a game to bounce bullets off her bracelets. Not only that but her bracelets can bounce off more than bullets. So it still protects her. Like many said she is a warrior she isn’t going to take chances. She can protect herself from other things like cheetahs claws

The best way is they pierce her but never kill her. She can be shoot and they do hurt but never kill. Also this also makes it easier to disarm her enemies
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-28-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Because none of them have a Bullets and Bracelets thing that is entrenched in the iconography. If we reverse it and suddenly have them start doing it, I doubt WW fans would be happy.

That's really what this boils down to: the iconography was cemented for her welllllll before now, and fans are attached to it. Making her bullet proof runs the risk of getting rid of it, although there can be ways for a creative writer to have their cake and eat it too.
    I personally doubt it would have much of an impact on Diana if the bullets and bracelets trick was removed but YMMV. I didn't think DC would get rid of her clay origin and look what happened.

It's not entirely out of place, but can be overused to the point of it becoming boring.
    Why is this a risk for the sword and shield but not the lasso or the bracelets?

She doesn't need a shield when she should already be highly durable, and has the bracelets to fall back on.
    A smart fighter does not put their faith in just one weapon.

Meanwhile, bad writers can write her as excessively violent even without a sword, but put a sword in her hand and it seems to increase the chances even more. Aside from the odd clash with Ares and (on considerably rarer occasions) someone like Gundra, none of her regular adversaries require a sword to clash with. If any opponent that isn't a big monster doesn't have one, it just looks like she's going to charge and slash/stab at whoever gets in her way. Because what else do you do with an edged weapon? It speaks volumes that the fan favorite writers will very rarely have her use a sword (Jimenez and Rucka) while someone like Johns frequently has her wield one. The movie is phasing it out after she has discovered more of her powers and it no longer makes as much sense for her to have it.
    Mark Waid is not considered a bad writer by and large and yet he was the one who started this trend of Diana being excessively violent when she gets a sword. We already have the Azzarello run and the first movie to show Diana not being excessive with the sword. And while it is one thing to say Diana doesn't need the sword all the time, people here are talking about getting rid of it entirely with Jenkins stating that she has ditched the sword completely for the sequel. By contrast, people who like the sword are perfectly fine with the Lasso staying. I even stated a reason for her to keep the bracelets for cultural and aesthetic reasons even if they aren't used to deflect bullets.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why is this a risk for the sword and shield but not the lasso or the bracelets?
    Because the former makes her look like a generic warrior woman or too much like Xena when she's not.

A smart fighter does not put their faith in just one weapon.
    That's fine, but it doesn't mean the sword and shield need to make regular appearances.

Rucka decked her out with a sword and an ax when confronting Medusa, but that's the extent he used it. Special occasions like that are fine, but I'd prefer not regular usage. She doesn't need them when she's fighting costumed supervillains.

Mark Waid is not considered a bad writer by and large and yet he was the one who started this trend of Diana being excessively violent when she gets a sword. We already have the Azzarello run and the first movie to show Diana not being excessive with the sword. And while it is one thing to say Diana doesn't need the sword all the time, people here are talking about getting rid of it entirely with Jenkins stating that she has ditched the sword completely for the sequel. By contrast, people who like the sword are perfectly fine with the Lasso staying. I even stated a reason for her to keep the bracelets for cultural and aesthetic reasons even if they aren't used to deflect bullets.
    "Bad" is too strong, I should amend it by saying if a writer isn't bad they may also just be not suited for every character. Azzarello is great with certain things, he was very bad for many things in WW. Waid started a trend and he regrets having done it.

I think it's more that there is a danger (or a perceived danger) of the sword becoming her default weapon over the lasso, which runs counter to a character who is designed to be in opposition to war by representing love and compassion. Azz didn't have her use a sword too much, but he also neglected the lasso and this was happening at the same time Johns was writing her as a stab happy jerk. Like her threatening Vulko with decapitation in the Throne of Atlantis arc. Perez, Jimenez and Rucka all had her use other weapons including swords, but it was used sparingly to the point fandom didn't really start to notice or complain until it became a more regular thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Also in Marston’s it was also a game to bounce bullets off her bracelets. Not only that but her bracelets can bounce off more than bullets. So it still protects her. Like many said she is a warrior she isn’t going to take chances. She can protect herself from other things like cheetahs claws

The best way is they pierce her but never kill her. She can be shoot and they do hurt but never kill. Also this also makes it easier to disarm her enemies
    No. That takes away the whole point. She can be shot and killed by bullets. That's the way it is and that's the way it's always been.

I'd hate for DC to make a drastic change to Wonder Woman's powers because certain fans don't understand something. That's their fault, not Wonder Woman's. I don't understand trigonometry but no one is changing it to accommodate me. I can't speak Russian but they don't seem to care. They're not making it more like English so I can understand it better.