Page 154 of 440 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 6591
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    A vulnerable point that is inconsistent with the rest of her powers doesn't work.
    Her powers are based in magic. You can make any kind of weakness consistent with that
    And Rebirth is the best example of that. How many times she has been shot in Rebirth alone? Plenty of times. And she almost died in one of those. And in every single one of those cases where she got shot, the rest of her powers suffered. Because for example. We used to see Diana being able to deal with speeding bullets easily even while being blind. Yet in Rebirth. Every single time she got shot, or a villain(and not even villains with her level of strength and speed) pull out a gun against her, she seems to lose her speed all of a sudden and her fighting skills. How the hell can you explain the way Ruka had her getting shot in his rebirth run, or in priest jl? The same woman that is said to have the speed of a God. Who used to dance around speeding bullets like nothing, all of a sudden she got shot, she couldn't react fast enough against mere humans shooting at her in ruka rebirth run. And she couldn't react to a bullet that bounced off superman's chest in jl writen by priest and almost died. Things like this do not put her in a good position. It's not a complain about her not being superman equal. It's about the fact that when things like that happen, they make her look like a street leveler.
    I don't care. Every character gets low showings, It's inevitable that Diana does too. That make her being vulnerable a bad thing.

Diana's bracelets won't stop being iconic if she becomes bulletproof. She can still use them(which she rarely does these days even though she isn't bulletproof).
    Making her bullet proof drastically lessens the amount of ways she can that iconic image. If she's bullet proof, you can only ever get away with using that iconography for irrelevant fan service. You can't create interesting set pieces around, you can't ever have her do it in a situation where she's being serious because if she's bullet-proof, because if she were being serious she wouldn't waste time showing off.

Hell, even the "She's controlling the ricochets" fig leaf has fewer options if she's bullet proof, because if she's bullet proof, then any case where she needs to protect bystanders from being struck would be better handled by having her catch the bullets instead.

From where I stand, her being bullet proofs adds nothing, and only takes options away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    A vulnerable point that is inconsistent with the rest of her powers doesn't work. And Rebirth is the best example of that. How many times she has been shot in Rebirth alone? Plenty of times. And she almost died in one of those. And in every single one of those cases where she got shot, the rest of her powers suffered. Because for example. We used to see Diana being able to deal with speeding bullets easily even while being blind. Yet in Rebirth. Every single time she got shot, or a villain(and not even villains with her level of strength and speed) pull out a gun against her, she seems to lose her speed all of a sudden and her fighting skills. How the hell can you explain the way Ruka had her getting shot in his rebirth run, or in priest jl? The same woman that is said to have the speed of a God. Who used to dance around speeding bullets like nothing, all of a sudden she got shot, she couldn't react fast enough against mere humans shooting at her in ruka rebirth run. And she couldn't react to a bullet that bounced off superman's chest in jl writen by priest and almost died. Things like this do not put her in a good position. It's not a complain about her not being superman equal. It's about the fact that when things like that happen, they make her look like a street leveler. Diana's bracelets won't stop being iconic if she becomes bulletproof. She can still use them(which she rarely does these days even though she isn't bulletproof).
    Yeah having a character go at it with Kryptonians in one book then get shot by a rando just doesn't make for good writing IMO. The scene with Deva shooting her was great because Deva actually setup the shot, also Deva has powers that make her super deadly with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Her powers are based in magic. You can make any kind of weakness consistent with that
    That's called bad writing.

Making her bullet proof drastically lessens the amount of ways she can that iconic image.
    As was pointed out, she doesn't even do it that much anyway even if when she isn't bulletproof. And there are things she can deflect other than bullets.

If she's bullet proof, you can only ever get away with using that iconography for irrelevant fan service.
    That's what the bullet deflecting trick already is. It's long overstayed its welcome for no other reason than its "iconic".

From where I stand, her being bullet proofs adds nothing, and only takes options away from her.
    Options she should not even need if writers actually portrayed her powers consistently.

Diana in the comics has been showing to survive worst things than bullets and yet no bullets. There should be guidelines about how are powers and weaknesses work. I don't understand why you dislike the Amazons are warriors when they have been since Wonder Woman been made. Also, Diana in JL had almost died. So you really can't say DC can use her pierce weapon weaknesses. Ruck gave us a good idea. She can be shot but it's not going to kill her just hurts. So that's easy bullets can go through her but it doesn't kill just hurts a little. Diana can still keep her bullets and bracelets with other things. We have rules and guidelines with everything except Diana. One thing she can easily get everything the next she gets hit some easily. I mean Diana generally has shown to have superhearing. Dc makes Diana weaker to make other characters look cool

Superman has a magic weakness that explains. Diana having a magical background yet a pierce weapon weakness would be a bit strange without good explanation. I mean Athena is the goddess of war. Why would Diana be weak to pierces
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-12-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's called bad writing.
    No, it isn't. It's called being creative.

Options she should not even need if writers actually portrayed her powers consistently.
    Now this bad writing. "Options she would not even need" Dude I'm not talking about options in a fight, I'm talking about options for how the writer can write the fucking story.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana in the comics has been showing to survive worst things than bullets and yet no bullets. There should be guidelines about how are powers and weaknesses work.
    I agree that there need to guidelines. I think there needs to be a reason given for why Bullets can hurt Diana when stronger things can't.

In Norse mythology, the god Balder is immune to harm from everything except mistletoe. He's not vulnerable to Mistletoe because Mistletoe is stronger, Mistletoe is the exception to his invulnerability.

I don't understand why you dislike the Amazons are warriors when they have been since Wonder Woman been made.
    Because they haven't. Amazons were a much more interesting and multi-faceted culture when Wonder Woman were first created, and the attempts to shoehorn them into a generic warrior culture mold has only made her books worse.

Dc makes Diana weaker to make other characters look cool
    That happens to literally every character. It's not worth caring about.

Superman has a magic weakness that explains. Diana having a magical background yet a pierce weapon weakness would be a bit strange without good explanation. I mean Athena is the goddess of war. Why would Diana be weak to pierces
    So think of a better reason for her to be vulnerable than "Because bullets are piercing weapons."

Have Diana's durability stem from a magical enchantment that mandates that she have a weakness in order to prevent it's beneficiaries from going mad with power.

Have Ares channel his powers of warfare to curse every bullet on Earth so that they can get through Wonder Woman's durability.

Be creative.

Bah. Lets have Diana do bullets and bracelets because it's cool and fun and impresses the hell out of the boys (and girls). Lets have Diana have everyone speculating if she is bulletproof or not, and herself approaching the question with a bit of mirth. Happy fun Wonder Woman is in remarkably short supply nowadays.

Comics started out much more based on Rule of Cool than any attempt at consistent worldbuilding, and it should still remember those roots.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

It weird, but I think she should have a healing factor rather then being outright invulnerable. The problem with just giving her similar powers to Superman is that she’ll never catch Superman in terms of popularity. She’ll never win that popularity contest. I feel her unique elements should be emphasized and her similar elements put on the back burner. It would explain why she still uses the bracelets ( still hurts, don’t want to bleed all over the place)
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-12-2020 at 11:57 AM.

No, it isn't. It's called being creative.

Now this bad writing. "Options she would not even need" Dude I'm not talking about options in a fight, I'm talking about options for how the writer can write the fucking story.

Bullets and bracelets does not and has never had anything to do with storytelling choices. it is entirely done based on "Diana has been doing it since Marston so it has to stay". The fact that no explanation has ever been given for why bullets and piercing weapons hurt her when things much more powerful than that have no effect is proof of that. There is no interesting story to come out of it.

Be creative.
    Being creative would be having Diana dealing with things other than bullets. Leaving vulnerable to bullets so you have an excuse to keep the bracelet deflection trick is the opposite of creativity.

Bullets and bracelets was done when the writers cared a lot less about consistency in storytelling and then was grandfathered in and now fans are working backwards to justify her being weak to bullets because current writers have no explanation for it but keep writing her that way when it has not and never will make any sense.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-12-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Bah. Lets have Diana do bullets and bracelets because it's cool and fun and impresses the hell out of the boys (and girls). Lets have Diana have everyone speculating if she is bulletproof or not, and herself approaching the question with a bit of mirth. Happy fun Wonder Woman is in remarkably short supply nowadays.

Comics started out much more based on Rule of Cool than any attempt at consistent worldbuilding, and it should still remember those roots.
    Yeah, sometimes writers and fans tend to overthink things that don't really require it.

Extraordinary Member

Bullets and bracelets does not and has never had anything to do with storytelling choices. it is entirely done based on "Diana has been doing it since Marston so it has to stay". The fact that no explanation has ever been given for why bullets and piercing weapons hurt her when things much more powerful than that have no effect is proof of that. There is no interesting story to come out of it.
    The fact that some people are too lazy to be creative doesn't make taking options away a good idea

Being creative would be having Diana dealing with things other than bullets. Leaving vulnerable to bullets so you have an excuse to keep the bracelet deflection trick is the opposite of creativity.

Bullets and bracelets was done when the writers cared a lot less about consistency in storytelling and then was grandfathered in and now fans are working backwards to justify her being weak to bullets because current writers have no explanation for it but keep writing her that way when it has not and never will make any sense.
    The Bullets a bracelets thing comes from the era when Wonder Woman was given the most care in her writing.

Ok, this whole "if Diana is bulletproof then, she is a complete carbon copy of Superman and therefore not unique in anyway" BS needs to stop right here.
    Last edited by Perseus; 06-12-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Ok, this whole "if Diana is bulletproof then, she is a complete carbon copy of Superman and therefore not unique in anyway" BS needs to stop right here.
    Who is talking about that?
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 06-12-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: language, please :)

Who is talking about that?
    Several posts above me and a few others on the previous page but, even more than that, its the general notion that ultimately comes around whenever people have this discussion. Diana is more often than not compared to Superman, that in on itself is not a negative thing, though I would argue that she is more comparable to Thor than Superman. In any case, when the discourse comes to Diana and the bulletproof question those comparisons get amplified. Now suddenly she is TOO much like Superman, taking away that very dumb weakness removes that (apparently?) thin line that separates the two characters. Even though the only comparable things about the characters are super strength, durability, speed, and... I guess a color pattern?

I guess people tend to forget the literal thousands of other characters far closer to superman than her. Point I'm trying to make is that making her invulnerable to man made weapons like bullets or knives doesn't suddenly turn her into a superman clone. Just means that people who have sat there for like 5 seconds realize that having a weakness like that should not exist on a character with that kind of power/origin.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Doesn't she do that anyway?

Sometimes worrying about consistency and realistic explanations for these stories about a magical Amazon princess who rides kangaroos and has an invisible jet and a magic lasso in fantastical stories that were (and really, probably still should be) chiefly aimed at kids isn't worth it and almost misses the point. Just do what Kjn said, and have her keep doing it because Rule of Cool. Just don't make a big deal about it either in or out of story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I guess people tend to forget the literal thousands of other characters far closer to superman than her. Point I'm trying to make is that making her invulnerable to man made weapons like bullets or knives doesn't suddenly turn her into a superman clone. Just means that people who have sat there for like 5 seconds realize that having a weakness like that should not exist on a character with that kind of power/origin.
    And the solution they've come up with is to be lazy and take away one of the things that makes her unique, instead of putting in actual effort to make it work.