Page 16 of 438 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Classic Wonder Woman literally said that bracelets and bullets is a fun game they play in her homeland. And like Gaelforce said, "they have been doing away with a lot of the 'silly' weaknesses. Currently, Green Lantern doesn't have any (no battery, no yellow), Aquaman doesn't fall over after being out of water for an hour, Superman became more magic resistant, etc" So why give WW such a silly weakness? aquaman is bulletproof now too. The bracelets are iconic yes. But she doesn't need a weakness to bullets to use them.
    But why would she use them if she doesn't need to? I mean, if we're going to get rid of silly things from the Golden Age, I think this needs to be one of them.

And she uses the shield more than the bracelets nowadays, sadly because that rquires less skill and speed than blocking with bracelets. She seems to decrease instead of increasing these days.
    Yeah, I guess that's just my thing. I'd rather her be more skilled than simply more powerful, TBH.

*shrugs*
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Well, do people ask if only the S is bulletproof since criminals always seem to focus on shooting that?
    Well, to be fair, most criminals generally aim for the chest. It's simply the biggest target on a person to hit. It's not like people are aiming for WW's bracelets. She has to actively make an effort to use those things (which is silly when she really doesn't have to, apparently). Supes just has to stand there.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    But why would she use them if she doesn't need to? I mean, if we're going to get rid of silly things from the Golden Age, I think this needs to be one of them.

Yeah, I guess that's just my thing. I'd rather her be more skilled than simply more powerful, TBH.

*shrugs*
    Superman's still wearing his blankie as a cape. Some silly things can be kept.

Well, to be fair, most criminals generally aim for the chest. It's simply the biggest target on a person to hit. It's not like people are aiming for WW's bracelets. She has to actively make an effort to use those things (which is silly when she really doesn't have to, apparently). Supes just has to stand there.
    Well why bother shooting him at all then? Because it's cool to see. Same thing with the bracelets.

The thing is, there are so many weapons and powers that are *more* powerful than bullets in comics these days that there are plenty of things she can still deflect; heat beams, lasers, solar blasts, electric bolts, etc.

The other reason to deflect is to control where the bullets end up, btw. Rather than risk them going past her and striking another hero (one who isn't bulletproof or isn't wearing Kevlar or...wait, nevermind ) or a bystander by mistake (i.e. Superman's ricochet that hit her in the throat) She has already shown immense skill at being able to not just block but to redirect with ridiculous accuracy (see movie - deflecting a bullet back down the barrel of the gun it just came from)

It's a matter of scale, and for 99% of heroes in the DCU anymore, bullets just aren't a threat because they've been upscaled in power, armor or healing capabilities. I like Rucka's 'shot through the chest but back up a second later' approach - it hurts, but they aren't lethal.

New trailer for the DC Super Hero Girls reboot seems to have an alternate application for the bracelets: she can change in and out of her costume with them.

I think if they want Diana to be a demigoddess why not have Hippoltya be the daughter of Ares? Now both Ares and Harmonia were gods. So has to why they became human could simply be because Ares took away they God status. Now not all of the Amazons just Hippoltya and her sisters. That or Ares can still have a relationship with a human

New trailer for the DC Super Hero Girls reboot seems to have an alternate application for the bracelets: she can change in and out of her costume with them.
    Wonder Woman has has displayed more personality in the clip than the last 5 years of the mainline continuity.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think if they want Diana to be a demigoddess why not have Hippoltya be the daughter of Ares? Now both Ares and Harmonia were gods. So has to why they became human could simply be because Ares took away they God status. Now not all of the Amazons just Hippoltya and her sisters. That or Ares can still have a relationship with a human
    If the Amazons are demigods then that makes sense really.

Why would you use them? The reasons are many and great. Wonder Woman gives a crap and so the option to tacticall redirect each round so that they fall harmlessly away rather than go somewhere else in a world not populated by her sisters (who could handle such things with a smile) protects the innocent.

In an actual hostile engagement, any enemy fire can be strategically returned to disarm, to wound, or to affect the environment around the enemy to neutralize them.

Lastly, the Amazons are all about the pursuit of excellence and improvement so every shot deflected is an opportunity to discover something new or to improve upon previous personal bests.

We should never see her shot. We should always wonder what if.

Mighty Member

I like the "Warrior Woman" aspect of Diana. She looks more put together now and I think it gives her a sense of identity. The sword and shield look good on her and they aren't really a problem for the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I like the "Warrior Woman" aspect of Diana. She looks more put together now and I think it gives her a sense of identity. The sword and shield look good on her and they aren't really a problem for the character.
    Her warrior side is just an irony nowadays. They talk about her warrior side far more than ever before. But they never do anything with it. She doesn't get epic and powerful action. Her sword and shield get most of the feats instead of her actual powers, as if she was just a super human red sonja. Before n52. She didn't need to act like an angry barbarian to make herself look badass. And she had actual epic powerful action moments to show for herself. Now it's all lip service and nothing more. The fact that she was shown as far more competent and powerful BEFORE her narrative became a repetitive talk about being a warrior, is a big irony.
    Last edited by starlight25; 02-18-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Her warrior side is just an irony nowadays. They talk about her warrior side far more than ever before. But they never do anything with it. She doesn't get epic and powerful action. Her sword and shield get most of the eats instead of her actual powers, as if she was just a super human red sonja. Before n52. She didn't need to act like an angry barbarian to make herself look badass. And she had actual epic powerful action moments to show for herself. Now it's all lip service and nothing more. The fact that she was shown as far more competent and powerful BEFORE her narrative became a repetitive talk about being a warrior, is a big irony.
    Yes to all of that, but now we have Xena. Screw the lasso and bracelets. She can have a sword and shield in which she never really uses the sword as they were intended to be used. Only to show her 'fierce' side.

Diana was always a warrior but didn’t need a shield or sword to show it. Her lasso was both her defensive and offensive tool. She doesn’t need a sword to show that. Not only that but her taken out the sword and shield all the time lessen the importance of why she uses it. Generally Diana’s strength and skills she doesn’t need it all the time
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-18-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Superman's still wearing his blankie as a cape. Some silly things can be kept.
    TBH, I'd be okay if they got rid or the cape.