Page 180 of 440 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 6591

The morphing crystal was the best version of the jet. It could turn into what she needed, like when it made giant fans to disperse Devastation's poisonous gas and plus the winged chariots were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    They can't even give him consistent presence in the book, and you're asking for a jet
    lol

I like the jet but I've often found it a odd fit. The Amazons have no other notable examples of stealth tech. They have no need to create super-sonic aircraft. Being a unique artifact utterly unlike anything else on Themyscria is just so....convenient. Having it come from the Amazons just doesn't fit. And Diana can fly, so being a source of transportation can't even be the plane's main story function. The plane can't be a plane, that's how weird the jet fits into Diana's narrative.

Oh, and sometimes it's mind controlled. Because of course it is.

I like it as a military stealth prototype; makes more sense that way. But if the jet is military, then why the crap are they letting Diana and/or Steve use it whenever the hell they want to?

Despite all that, I love the damn thing. If I were writing Wonder Woman, she'd use it all the time. It'd be a little flying HQ with armor and weapons and medical equipment, high end anti-superhuman weapons, and Diana would mind control the hell out of it. As silly and out of place as the invisible plane is, it's still badass.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    lol

I like the jet but I've often found it a odd fit. The Amazons have no other notable examples of stealth tech. They have no need to create super-sonic aircraft. Being a unique artifact utterly unlike anything else on Themyscria is just so....convenient. Having it come from the Amazons just doesn't fit. And Diana can fly, so being a source of transportation can't even be the plane's main story function. The plane can't be a plane, that's how weird the jet fits into Diana's narrative.
    Going back to the Golden Age, they have other stealth Swan Planes than just the one Diana uses on Themyscira. It is important for it to come from them along with their other technology. They had this stuff way before some of the other corners of the DCU were even thought up, but DC keeps nerfing them.

And this is why canon shouldn't be constructed with Diana flying so early on. It robs the plane of a simple purpose that it actually had for the first few decades of her publication, and it's reputation as being a confusing/contradictory presence in the WW mythos has always been undeserved and pretty frustrating when you know the whole thing. In present day she should absolutely have full blown flight but not every story needs to be told "in the now." Having it's place be firmly in the early adventures of Wonder Woman before she flew and it gets occasional usage in the present shouldn't be too much to ask for.*

*Not aimed at you, just general wider conversations about the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    lol

Oh, and sometimes it's mind controlled. Because of course it is.

I like it as a military stealth prototype; makes more sense that way. But if the jet is military, then why the crap are they letting Diana and/or Steve use it whenever the hell they want to?

Despite all that, I love the damn thing. If I were writing Wonder Woman, she'd use it all the time. It'd be a little flying HQ with armor and weapons and medical equipment, high end anti-superhuman weapons, and Diana would mind control the hell out of it. As silly and out of place as the invisible plane is, it's still badass. :p
    Yeah, that's kind of like how I'd prefer the jet to be. The Wagner Trinity mini-series wasn't that good for Diana but one aspect from it I liked was how the Invisible Jet functioned as a mobile base of operations for Diana, with having a mini-armory in it and all that. Like if the Fortress and Batmobile were rolled into one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The morphing crystal was the best version of the jet. It could turn into what she needed, like when it made giant fans to disperse Devastation's poisonous gas and plus the winged chariots were cool.
    I never knew about this. That sounds broken

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Going back to the Golden Age, they have other stealth Swan Planes than just the one Diana uses on Themyscira. It is important for it to come from them along with their other technology. They had this stuff way before some of the other corners of the DCU were even thought up, but DC keeps nerfing them.

And this is why canon shouldn't be constructed with Diana flying so early on. It robs the plane of a simple purpose that it actually had for the first few decades of her publication, and it's reputation as being a confusing/contradictory presence in the WW mythos has always been undeserved and pretty frustrating when you know the whole thing. In present day she should absolutely have full blown flight but not every story needs to be told "in the now." Having it's place be firmly in the early adventures of Wonder Woman before she flew and it gets occasional usage in the present shouldn't be too much to ask for.*

*Not aimed at you, just general wider conversations about the damn thing.
    If you want to show the Amazons as being scientifically advanced, why does the plane have to be present? It's not like it's the only form of advanced technology they have and frankly it's not all that impressive compared to most advanced creations in the DCU. It's not worth it for Diana to not be in possession of a power she's had for three decades even if that story is set in the past.

And as I said before, why does it have to be Diana using it? Steve can have the plane if he needs to follow Diana or give it to some Amazon who can't fly under her own power.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-23-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you want to show the Amazons as being scientifically advanced, why does the plane have to be present? It's not like it's the only form of advanced technology they have and frankly it's not all that impressive compared to most advanced creations in the DCU. It's not worth it for Diana to not be in possession of a power she's had for three decades even if that story is set in the past.

And as I said before, why does it have to be Diana using it? Steve can have the plane if he needs to follow Diana or give it to some Amazon who can't fly under her own power.
    It has to be Wonder Woman using it because it's Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane and has been since day 1. It's part of larger pop culture (even in parody) and merchandise is still made from it. Logically, it should then exist in her mythos and have a simple reason for existing. Steve or some no-name Amazon flying it exclusively over her doesn't matter compared to that. It's already present. And I'm sorry, I don't buy that it's not that impressive when Batman has all the cool gadgets including a Bat-Plane, and the Jet should leave that kind of thin in the dust.

So we can't have it set in the past even though Year One style stories are not that frequent to begin with? Again, why is that apparently asking for too much compared to the pro-flight people saying we can't have it at all? She's had the power for three decades, but the timing of her obtaining that power doesn't come from natural story progression. it comes from reboots and chucking continuity, so I don't think it should automatically be viewed as gospel. There's a story solution here to please as many parties as possible.

I think the important thing is that Wonder Woman should have an invisible plane. She might not have it from day one, she might have acquired it in different ways, she might not even use it that much. Heck, the way Rucka was used it in Rebirth was perfectly fine, being used to bring her and Steve to America from Themyscira, after which it disintegated.

But it is an important part of her iconography, and should be respected as such.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes, makes it more a thing that fits on a mystical island

I don't think this a opinion for wonder woman specifically but, why can't Donna be the second child that is sculpted from clay at the same time as Diana?

I feel like Nubia deserves a better origin than "wonder woman but black".
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I don't think this a opinion for wonder woman specifically but, why can't Donna be the second child that is sculpted from clay at the same time as Diana?
    Because the origin of a girl from the outside world being adopted into the Amazons worked better and you lose a more different perspective by making her another Amazon from the island.

I feel like Nubia deserves a better origin than "wonder woman but black".
    By that logic, doesn't Donna deserve a better origin than just having Diana's origin with nothing to separate her from her sister?

The clay birth shouldn't be shared with any other character.

Donna's pre-Crisis origin generally worked, and Nubia should exist but get something else as her origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because the origin of a girl from the outside world being adopted into the Amazons worked better and you lose a more different perspective by making her another Amazon from the island.

By that logic, doesn't Donna deserve a better origin than just having Diana's origin with nothing to separate her from her sister?
    Because I would still have it to where Donna is taken from the island and trains/grows up somewhere else, only discovering this fact later on. Also, isn't that the same deal with Cassie and Maggie and Veronica's daughter?

Nubia has a gorgon stare and different weaponry that at least gives her something different than Diana. I'd have all the "Wonder Women" have something power wise to separate themselves from Diana.

Peng Delian is bullet proof; I'd throw in fire breath and shape sifting into a dragon too. (I'd probably give her a different title too, something that translates to wonder woman or close to in Chinese)

Maria holds the Tapac-Yauri staff; she has like a classic Thor vibe, powered by a sun god, with added telepathy.

Diana has her witch mode and magic lightning.

Donna could get Diana's Nu52 god mode.

Nubia would have her gorgon stare and a healing aura transfer; sort of like a protection buff that heals an ally.

And each amazons would come from a different tribe from a different part of the world. Peng from China, Maria from South America, Nubia from Egypt, and Diana from Greece. So each amazon champion comes from a different tribe's perspective.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Because I would still have it to where Donna is taken from the island and trains/grows up somewhere else, only discovering this fact later on.
    Which would be unnecessarily convoluted when just having her come from outside Themyscira and then being adopted.

Also, isn't that the same deal with Cassie and Maggie and Veronica's daughter?
    Cassie was never adopted and her mother is still alive. Maggie and Veronica's daughter are relatively new characters and don't have the same history of being Diana's sister like Donna is.

Nubia has a gorgon stare and different weaponry that at least gives her something different than Diana.
    Agreed. And she'd still have that even with the clay origin.

Fantastic Member

Azarello's daughter of Zeus origin is the best origin.