Page 182 of 440 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    That's the idea I have, making Nubia the Shimtar of the Bana and having her originate there.
    Interesting, hadn't considered that. Could be a way of making her part of the Bana but distinct from Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Interesting, hadn't considered that. Could be a way of making her part of the Bana but distinct from Artemis.
    No. That takes Nubia too far away from her original origin and encroaches too much on Artemis. Plus the Bana are already considered to be the "bad ethnic" Amazons despite the Themysciran's diversity that Nubia adds to, so the optics aren't good. It's reminiscent of Diana stealing Cassie's origin.

A while ago I had this idea for Nubia's origin: she's made on the same day and from the same clay as Diana (which kinda makes them "twins" but not really) by a rogue faction of the Amazons who worship Ares. Nubia is raised in secret in Man's World and gifted with powers by Ares and his children so that she can eventually destroy Diana. Of course this origin is no good now since it's way to similar to Donna's current one (as well as Devastation and Genocide).

Personally I'd go for a full on modernization of her first origin complete with Slaughter Island where she's the Queen. Why should Marvel corner the market on high tech Africans?

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No. That takes Nubia too far away from her original origin and encroaches too much on Artemis. Plus the Bana are already considered to be the "bad ethnic" Amazons despite the Themysciran's diversity that Nubia adds to, so the optics aren't good. It's reminiscent of Diana stealing Cassie's origin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well, considering that Artemis by all accounts is an amazon, granted a really good one, and not a goddess like Diana or Nubia there is already a huge power difference. Actually, we can potentially have Artemis and Nubia be friends on Bana, similar to Akila was. Nubia was the newest Shimtar but, after she leaves on a mission and doesn't return (getting captured, brainwashed, etc... like in her original origin) Artemis and Akila try to be Shimtar, keeping their stories together. Maybe the Bana need a bit of change, the "bad ethnic" amazons is an old trope that probably should die. Bana don't like Themyscira, for the obvious reason that Hippolyta and Atalanta had a falling out.

Nubia's origin would be that she's the physical reincarnation of the Egyptian goddess of protection, Bastet.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Well the thing is the Egyptian gods are already still there so Nubia wouldn’t need to be a recantation. Nubia due to Jason should just be Diana’s twin. Taken by Ares to be his weapon. Adding her to the Banas once again had a issue. All of Diana’s family and allies have gone so far from her connections to her. Artemis has just started to appear. Dc is just not caring about Diana in a long time. Before any changes maybe Nubia and the others be in their original origins
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-25-2020 at 06:59 AM.

If you're going with the "lost babies washing up on the seashore" approach to Amazon origins, then... Nubia's a baby from a place south of the Mediterranean?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    If you're going with the "lost babies washing up on the seashore" approach to Amazon origins, then... Nubia's a baby from a place south of the Mediterranean?
    Yea. There could also be a mix. Using legends we can also have reborn children also.

BANNED

The retcons of Diana's past is the charm of her character.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    That's Donna ^^
    I know Donna by the reputation of her backstories before I know anything about the character

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Well, considering that Artemis by all accounts is an amazon, granted a really good one, and not a goddess like Diana or Nubia there is already a huge power difference. Actually, we can potentially have Artemis and Nubia be friends on Bana, similar to Akila was. Nubia was the newest Shimtar but, after she leaves on a mission and doesn't return (getting captured, brainwashed, etc... like in her original origin) Artemis and Akila try to be Shimtar, keeping their stories together. Maybe the Bana need a bit of change, the "bad ethnic" amazons is an old trope that probably should die. Bana don't like Themyscira, for the obvious reason that Hippolyta and Atalanta had a falling out.

Nubia's origin would be that she's the physical reincarnation of the Egyptian goddess of protection, Bastet.
    Diana is only a demi goddess, and only in thr nu52 and after.... when Nubia was created, she and Diana were not divinity...

Strongly disagree... its a total shart show.

I completely disagree. I think it's bad for the character, and it's one of the reasons she could never develop a consistent supporting cast or a "family" that stayed associated with her, and one of the (several) reasons that she's just not "up there" with the other two members of what they call "the Trinity."

And I think the constant changes to Donna's origin have been bad for her too, and prevented her from having a decent, ongoing relationship with Diana.

(Yes, I know, everybody's origin and supporting cast and families change over time - even Superman and Batman. But not quite like this.)

But that's just me. Or, not just me, but me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's Donna ^^
    I know Donna by the reputation of her backstories before I know anything about the character
    Donna's convoluted backstory is one of the reasons why I love the character (same with the Hawks). I dunno, there's just something appealing for me about having to literally study a character's history to make sense of them. And I think it's almost poetic that Donna never quite fits into the WW lore, considering that she was initially added there by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Nubia... should just be Diana’s twin. Taken by Ares to be his weapon.
    Hasn't Ares been trapped in a prison under Themysicra from about 3000 years ago to just a few years ago?

(Way to take a big player off the board, DC! Ares winds up not involved in the politics of the gods for all that time, not influencing anything on Earth, not an early villain against Diana, not someone who empowers early villains against Diana. A waste of 3000 years!)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/