Page 186 of 440 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 6590

I mean it's also the same thing that happened with Rucka with Diana being taken down with sniper. Speaking of which. Many in DC think we hate the idea of a new version of the character. That's not the case. The issue is how they try to change what the character is about and the core. Like how important the amazons are. They became unlikable and not even necessary. They killed babies. There is no reason to keep. But Diana's core is the same. There are issues in the fact her important cast is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    the amazons... They killed babies.
    As far as I can recall they didn't kill babies. They killed the fathers of the babies, after having sex with them. And they planned to kill the (male) babies. But Hephaestus (feeling sorry for the children, because his mother treated him so badly) offered to trade weapons for the babies, and the Amazons took the deal. He raised them and taught them craftsmanship, and they formed what to all appearances was a peaceful, content single-sex society that was happy at their work/art, and didn't even hate the opposite sex. Given the chance, they only wanted to be reconciled with the Amazons - who would have killed them as infants if a kindly, male deity hadn't intervened.

While some readers continued to insist that it made perfect sense - was inevitable - that the Amazons, being a single-sex society, must be bigoted to the core: psychologically unhealthy, hate men to the point of murder, warlike, willing to kill their own babies, hating Diana because she was "different."

Yeah, that wasn't great.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm not defending this movie (I've never even seen it), just the theory of using a sniper to take Cheetah down.

I don't think she's fast enough to react to a unexpected shot. I mean, we're talking about her going from "idle" to "faster than a speeding bullet" within the span of a inch and a nanosecond, and only *after* her nervous system registers the pain of the impact (even the sound wouldn't reach her before this). That is legit crazy fast; not even Barry hits that kind of acceleration; that's a Waid-era Wally type of thing, back when he could destroy the Anti-Monitor's armor by himself at speeds so high even high level Silver Age Kryptonians couldn't see him. As badass and quick as Cheetah is, she's not *that* fast. Nor should she be. Hell, Wally probably shouldn't have been that fast.

Don't get me wrong, Cheetah should be a major heavy hitter, well beyond the ability of 90% of heroes to handle. The idea of a Bat taking her down in a fist fight is just plain ass stupid. But I honestly don't think she's got the velocity to dodge a bullet that's already digging into her.

And it's not like this would be an easy thing to pull off anyway. Avoiding her enhanced senses, catching her off guard (not like Barbara Ann is one to relax), making sure she doesn't see the muzzle flash......all that on top of needing a weapon capable of actually killing her. I'm not gonna pull my hunting rifle off the wall and do this myself, y'know what I mean? Like, you'd have to get some Amanda Waller level resources and planning, and put the gun in the hands of someone like Deadshot, to even have a *chance* of being successful with this plan. But as far as plans to take down Cheetah, this is better than most.
    It's a smart plan, and there are characters who could do this. Deadshot, example, maybe Deathstroke. Not Jason. And the gun and ammo would need to be a god-killer calibre, anything less is going to bounce off, alert her then she kills them a second later.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's a smart plan, and there are characters who could do this. Deadshot, example, maybe Deathstroke. Not Jason. And the gun and ammo would need to be a god-killer calibre, anything less is going to bounce off, alert her then she kills them a second later.
    Again, they shouldn't be able to pull it off. Nobody will convince me that you need to have Wally West level of super speed, in order to react in time against a bullet after being shot. With how fast Cheetah is supposed to be. She should have no problem reacting to speeding bullets. WW has reacted to bullets after they were shot while she was distracted, and she still reacted fast enough to block them. In fact, Diana has reacted to things way faster than bullets countless times. And Cheetah is supposed to have even greater super speed.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    As correct as all this stuff is. The main problem here is why Cheetah is even in a batman film about his family drama. This is like when Amazo was in "Under the Redhood" and Bats/Nightwing took him down. Like, it could have been literally any bat villain. Cheetah has 0 ties to the bat fam.
    If they really wanted to sell “Jason’s gone over the edge” they should have it Catwoman or Harley in his scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'd add Roy Harper to the list too. Potentially, he could do it. We're talking about a idle Cheetah after all, not one who is running around with the blood pumping. Roy's got the skills to get close enough without attracting attention and make the shot....as long as he's on his game. Dude isn't reliable enough to be someone I'd *trust* with the job, but I think he's got the ability to do it if he doesn't self-sabotage.

But nobody who has the skill also has the resources to get the kind of weaponry required to take Cheetah down, either. Honestly, Deadshot has the best odds of doing it, since Waller could likely get her hands on a gun and bullet capable of killing gods.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Again, they shouldn't be able to pull it off. Nobody will convince me that you need to have Wally West level of super speed, in order to react in time against a bullet after being shot. With how fast Cheetah is supposed to be. She should have no problem reacting to speeding bullets. WW has reacted to bullets after they were shot while she was distracted, and she still reacted fast enough to block them. In fact, Diana has reacted to things way faster than bullets countless times. And Cheetah is supposed to have even greater super speed.
    Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. And yeah, Diana and Barbara Ann can react to bullets and faster projectiles while distracted. But we're talking about a scenario where Cheetah wouldn't know she's been shot until the bullet is already breaking skin and bone. Is Cheetah fast enough to dodge a bullet *after* she's been hit with it? If she's sitting in her favorite chair reading a book, is she fast enough to go "huh, my head hurts. I wonder why? Oh, a bullet is ripping into the back of my skull! I should move out of the way before it can finish going through my brain." I don't think she is. Neither is anyone else (except Wally during that one specific era).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd add Roy Harper to the list too. Potentially, he could do it. We're talking about a idle Cheetah after all, not one who is running around with the blood pumping. Roy's got the skills to get close enough without attracting attention and make the shot....as long as he's on his game. Dude isn't reliable enough to be someone I'd *trust* with the job, but I think he's got the ability to do it if he doesn't self-sabotage.

But nobody who has the skill also has the resources to get the kind of weaponry required to take Cheetah down, either. Honestly, Deadshot has the best odds of doing it, since Waller could likely get her hands on a gun and bullet capable of killing gods.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. And yeah, Diana and Barbara Ann can react to bullets and faster projectiles while distracted. But we're talking about a scenario where Cheetah wouldn't know she's been shot until the bullet is already breaking skin and bone. Is Cheetah fast enough to dodge a bullet *after* she's been hit with it? If she's sitting in her favorite chair reading a book, is she fast enough to go "huh, my head hurts. I wonder why? Oh, a bullet is ripping into the back of my skull! I should move out of the way before it can finish going through my brain." I don't think she is. Neither is anyone else (except Wally during that one specific era).
    But my point is that the bullet should never hit her in the first place. Because even while being distracted she still should be more than fast enough to react and dodge the bullet after it was shot.

We *are* dealing with a reality where a blind Diana could still block bullets because she could feel the shift in the air currents ahead of the bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    We *are* dealing with a reality where a blind Diana could still block bullets because she could feel the shift in the air currents ahead of the bullet
    She did this to Flash too while sparring against the league. Diana is stupid fast and Cheetah is even faster.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    At this point, we should just reboot Diana or gave a cancelation for her series rather than continuing. It's clear that DC doesn't understand what they wanted from Diana and they didn't shy from it. So I think the possible answer to that gives her a bit holiday for a few years with her death or something like that. So DC can clear their mind and make a consensus on what Diana really lacks and what kind of story they really need to tell. Or, or hear me out, how about DC just sell her to another company because they clearly didn't want any hero aside from Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree with the put her on a break idea. I've suggested it myself in the past.
    Kind of jumping off this, but not gonna say put the character on a break but I wouldn't see the harm in moving the character off the Justice League. I know it was sticking point for some fans she wasn't a founding member in the post-Crisis years but going off modern Justice League (Morrison onward if you want a point of demarcation) I can't really see how being on the team has been beneficial for her as her role usually doesn't amount to much more than "she's Wonder Woman and she has to be there". Especially when taking into account media depictions of the JL which, the major ones at least, have been poor showings for her (DCAU, Injustice, DCEU Justice League).
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-01-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    A fair point.

Okay, so you wait down wind until a good breeze comes along from the right direction, *then* pull the trigger.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

A fair point.

Okay, so you wait down wind until a good breeze comes along from the right direction, *then* pull the trigger.
    The point everybody here is making. Is that a speeding bullet shouldn't be able to tag WW or Cheetah if they are distracted. Because they still should be fast enough to react in time to dodge or block it before it reaches them.

Also Barbara Minerva shouldn't be able to be killed by an ordinary bullet. It's the same old argument for most super-tough characters. One can make counter arguments for specialized hardware, but not normal hardware.

BANNED

Wonder Woman should be Batman's Sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Wonder Woman should be Batman's Sidekick.
    Didn't they already try that on DCAU JL/JLU.