Page 190 of 440 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's weird because they are not even synching her up with the world war the movies used.

Wonder Woman's entire publication history is harder to have flow into each other than even Superman's, and tying her old school stuff specifically to a particular time period is going to make that worse. The likes of Morrison couldn't even get it 100% for Batman (though he came close), with Wonder Woman all her iconic runs don't really mesh together at all. The Multiverse is really the only way to have it all, but they just insist on having this shared legacy Earth despite all the problems it brings.
    Yeah, any attempt to combine GA with the Post-Crisis/New52/Rebirth stuff would be a mix-and-match up rather than a through line like with Marvel characters or Bats/Supes.

Should just make a line of Earth 2 books.

Okay. I know many of you want D.C or Boston not Gateway. What if Gateway was at least a location Diana can go to from time to time? Like since it's an actually Gateway and where mythical creatures also live. Wouldn't it make sense if Medusa or cheetah go there? Marston University and other things are in D.C or Boston. Okay, the next thing is Diana's house. What should it look like?

I think if Diana lived in Boston or DC, and Gateway was this city full of actual gateways like y'all pitch that she visited regularly, a lot of fans would quickly start wondering why Diana lives in such a boring city as Boston or DC and not Gateway.

And Diana's house should be the very definition of elegance. Spacious, rich furnishings, but not opulent. It should look like the home of a person who appreciates high quality and has the resources (and eye) to get the best of the best, but not the home of someone who revels in their wealth or buys something simply because it's expensive. Somewhere between art deco and ancient Greek in architecture. Furniture should be of upper crust modern design while the decorations (paintings, statues, knickknacks, etc) would be things you'd expect to find in a museum.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I have been thinking about this for a while. What if and being back the Wonder Dome but not 100 the same object with the same name. It could change into her home. It's large on the Inside with many different rooms. That way she has her own fortress of solitude or bat cave

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think if Diana lived in Boston or DC, and Gateway was this city full of actual gateways like y'all pitch that she visited regularly, a lot of fans would quickly start wondering why Diana lives in such a boring city as Boston or DC and not Gateway.

And Diana's house should be the very definition of elegance. Spacious, rich furnishings, but not opulent. It should look like the home of a person who appreciates high quality and has the resources (and eye) to get the best of the best, but not the home of someone who revels in their wealth or buys something simply because it's expensive. Somewhere between art deco and ancient Greek in architecture. Furniture should be of upper crust modern design while the decorations (paintings, statues, knickknacks, etc) would be things you'd expect to find in a museum.
    Guess that makes sense for someone who was raised as royalty. Though for whatever reason I've tended to think Diana's personal residence in Man's World would be...well, "Spartan" for lack of a better word. At least as far as superheroes can be.

I don’t know wouldn’t Diana would to live as a normal person? To get a everyday experience? That’s why I kind of like the whole Vanessa relationship. That’s why I kind of miss Diana prince. There is this gap of intimacy if we also give her the royal treatment also. I’m not saying for her to get a job but just have her get something humble and simple

Interesting question there, Ascended. Since one's home is often viewed as an extension of oneself, it hits really close to how one views Diana as a person. But a home can also fill several different roles, and project a social or public image.

So I'm going to limit this first to what I will term Diana's personal living space, like her personal living quarters in an Themysciran embassy. I don't think it should be spartan, but I also think it shouldn't be expensive. Art and other objects are there because they are personally meaningful to Diana, not simply because they are pretty. Furniture is there to be used. That it's pretty is important, but a sofa should first and foremost be there to sit on.

Lots of textiles, like rugs or tapestries. A real functional fireplace of some sort somewhere. It's not that important how it looks (in many ways I think Diana would prefer one that isn't built to dominate the room), but definitely that it's functional and can be used for at least rudimentary cooking.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I think it's telling that every time Gateway City comes up, people talk more about what they want it to be rather than what it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it's telling that every time Gateway City comes up, people talk more about what they want it to be rather than what it actually was.
    Sadly, that's true for a lot of things involving Wonder Woman.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Well the actual Gateway city was largely just "generic fictional city with a bit more Greek architectural influence" so it's not surprising the discussion revolves around what it *could* be, because what it *actually* was is kinda bland.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don’t know wouldn’t Diana would to live as a normal person? To get a everyday experience? That’s why I kind of like the whole Vanessa relationship. That’s why I kind of miss Diana prince. There is this gap of intimacy if we also give her the royal treatment also. I’m not saying for her to get a job but just have her get something humble and simple
    I think Diana wants to know how the average person lives and what they need to improve their lives, what their values and concerns are, and so on, but I have never understood the drive for Diana to "be" one of them. She grew up as a royal, but one who was very close to her people. Despite her position of heir apparent she would walk the streets without guards, trained with the average Amazon warrior, etc. Diana's royal heritage never got in the way of her understanding or mixing with the regular Amazons and I imagine she doesn't think it gets in the way in Man's World. And she had plenty of "normal" friends; living in a fantastic Themyscrian embassy with a minotaur for a personal chef never stopped her from being friends with teachers, yknow? Diana's highly empathetic, she doesn't have to live poor in order to understand poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Interesting question there, Ascended. Since one's home is often viewed as an extension of oneself, it hits really close to how one views Diana as a person. But a home can also fill several different roles, and project a social or public image.

So I'm going to limit this first to what I will term Diana's personal living space, like her personal living quarters in an Themysciran embassy. I don't think it should be spartan, but I also think it shouldn't be expensive. Art and other objects are there because they are personally meaningful to Diana, not simply because they are pretty. Furniture is there to be used. That it's pretty is important, but a sofa should first and foremost be there to sit on.

Lots of textiles, like rugs or tapestries. A real functional fireplace of some sort somewhere. It's not that important how it looks (in many ways I think Diana would prefer one that isn't built to dominate the room), but definitely that it's functional and can be used for at least rudimentary cooking.
    Definitely agree with the textiles, rugs, etc, as well as the idea that the stuff should be functional. A couch is meant to sit on and Diana's definitely not the kind of person who would own one that's just meant to be looked at. But I do think she'd want high quality stuff. If she *had* to do her shopping at Sam's Club and Wal-Mart she would and it wouldn't bother her (she's not that materialistic), but if she has a choice, well she grew up in comfort, surrounded by fine (but usable) things, and I don't see why that would change. She's not going to own some weird modern art chair that's impossible to sit on, but given a choice she's going to want a comfortable, well-made, higher end chair with interesting lines, rather than some cheap ugly thing that cost fifty bucks.

Diana has an eye and appreciation for aesthetically pleasing things, but still wants those things to serve a purpose beyond expressing wealth or looking pretty. I think if you looked at her personal living space, it'd be clear the owner has resources and some wealth, but it wouldn't be a "intimidating" kind of display where you're afraid to touch anything because even the coasters cost ten grand and the toilet handles are pure gold. Diana's home should look classy and well-to-do, but a "comfortable" kind of classy.

I do think that any training area or armory or what have you would be fairly spartan. Her home is where she relaxes after a hard day and should reflect her refined taste, but the places/rooms where she trains should be places devoid of distraction.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I wish the Amazons were closer to their mythological origins. Of course, portraying "real-life" mythology as being whitewashed is a brilliant move to handle discrepancies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I wish the Amazons were closer to their mythological origins. Of course, portraying "real-life" mythology as being whitewashed is a brilliant move to handle discrepancies.
    Which myhtological origins? The myths weren't exactly consistent. Besides, the Azzarello run did that anyway.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-03-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Which myhtological origins? The mytgs weren't exactly consistent. Besides, the Azzarello run did that anyway.
    I know but "Paradise for Women" is probably the furthest from the myths.

Which myhtological origins? The myths weren't exactly consistent. Besides, the Azzarello run did that anyway.
    Yeah, kind of why I don’t really take into account “accuracy” in depictions of Greek mythology. The Greeks weren’t even consistent about it when it was widely worshipped.

I think portraying the Amazons truer to the myths defeats the whole purpose. It's like watching a Shrek movie and saying, "Yeah, but why is the ogre a hero? In the original stories ogres were always evil."
    The whole point of the Amazons was to subvert the original myths.

That's why I always thought the Azzarellazons were such a wrong-headed idea. When you deconstruct subversion, you're just playing it straight.