Page 191 of 440 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241291 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 6592
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I wish the Amazons were closer to their mythological origins. Of course, portraying "real-life" mythology as being whitewashed is a brilliant move to handle discrepancies.
    Beyond making Hippolyta and her sisters demigod daughters of Ares having a bit of story potential (more so because we can throw Otrera into the mix and give Diana a badass grandmother), I don't know if much of the real world myths about them would offer much.

DC's Amazons were designed to subvert the entire way of thinking behind the original myths after all, it would seem counter productive. I think Rucka by way of Barbara Minerva already laid out why it isn't really worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Beyond making Hippolyta and her sisters demigod daughters of Ares having a bit of story potential (more so because we can throw Otrera into the mix and give Diana a badass grandmother), I don't know if much of the real world myths about them would offer much.

DC's Amazons were designed to subvert the entire way of thinking behind the original myths after all, it would seem counter productive. I think Rucka by way of Barbara Minerva already laid out why it isn't really worth considering.
    What do you mean by the last bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think when Barbara was searching for the amazons in her single issue she came a cross the belief that amazons would cut off one of their breasts to shot arrows, however that would make no medical sense because that would actually kill them. Its based in the patriarchal idea that the amazons were more so used as propaganda as to what women should NOT be like, i.e. independent and in power.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I think when Barbara was searching for the amazons in her single issue she came a cross the belief that amazons would cut off one of their breasts to shot arrows, however that would make no medical sense because that would actually kill them. Its based in the patriarchal idea that the amazons were more so used as propaganda as to what women should NOT be like, i.e. independent and in power.
    Yeah, it was essentially a "take that!" to the entire belief that the DC Amazons should be like the mythological ones and a reaffirmation that Marston's original idea to flip the script on the Amazons was the right one.

Fitting that Barbara is the one to deliver it, since Azzarello said she had no reason to be Wonder Woman's arch nemesis and she's basically sending the middle finger to takes like his Amazons

While it’s not as irritating because of how Batman is DC’s golden boy, Superman writers are also fairly guilty like Batman writers when it comes to Diana being shortchanged as a whole whether as a punching bag, arm candy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    While it’s not as irritating because of how Batman is DC’s golden boy, Superman writers are also fairly guilty like Batman writers when it comes to Diana being shortchanged as a whole whether as a punching bag, arm candy, etc.
    You really start to notice it when they play up the will they or wont they couples angle.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'm curious would it be a good or bad thing if a once upon a time the amazons did live the Island?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Sadly, that's true for a lot of things involving Wonder Woman.
    Perhaps but with a lot of elements of Wonder Woman's world, we can point to actualized takes on what we would like. With Gateway, it's always theoretical and it isn't a city created for Wonder Woman. It was for the Spectre.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    You really start to notice it when they play up the will they or wont they couples angle.
    While I can’t say I really care for that relationship as a long term thing because how of bad it can be written, I’ll say at least for the most part I’ve seen it’s usually portrayed as a two-way street in terms of affection. While when it’s Batman, it’s usually her just giving googly eyes at him or just as object for Bruce to gawk at.

Extraordinary Member

As much as I liked Perez's art on The New Teen Titans, the way he renders curly hair on women (especially Wonder Woman) is absolutely terrible.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    As much as I liked Perez's art on The New Teen Titans, the way he renders curly hair on women (especially Wonder Woman) is absolutely terrible.
    I thought I was the only one who hated how he draws hair on Wonder Woman it looks really really Wiggy

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I actually prefer Diana with curly hair over straight.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    I thought I was the only one who hated how he draws hair on Wonder Woman it looks really really Wiggy
    Right? It's really weird, when I compare his WW with Starfire in re to their hair. Starfire is clearly a product of her time, so I've never really had any issue with how he drew her very now dated look. WW should always look timeless, though, which is probably why I always preferred Perez's version of Donna.

edit: by extension, I'm also not a fan of how Phil Jimenez drew WW's hair. And don't even get me started on his writing...
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-15-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Perez's Diana isn't anywhere near as dated as Starfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I actually prefer Diana with curly hair over straight.
    So do I. The more exaggerated it is the more I love it in fact.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El