Page 203 of 440 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I never cared for the technologically advanced Amazons and I think Perez actually made a good decision by going full fantasy with Themiscyra.
    I’ve never been strongly attached to it either since for the most part it comes off as largely window dressing.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’ve never been strongly attached to it either since for the most part it comes off as largely window dressing.
    It’s very rare for an isolationist nation, which is what the Amazons are, to be technologically advanced.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It’s very rare for an isolationist nation, which is what the Amazons are, to be technologically advanced.
    yeah but realistic isolationist nations are not immortal and in another dimension.

It always feels weird to single out the Amazons for their technology but we hear less about Gorilla City, Atlantis or Wakanda over at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    yeah but realistic isolationist nations are not immortal and in another dimension.

It always feels weird to single out the Amazons for their technology but we hear less about Gorilla City, Atlantis or Wakanda over at Marvel.
    I go back and forth in regards to the Amazons' technology. They shouldn't necessarily be singled out but I think there needs to be some way to make it stand out so it doesn't feel like window dressing. I'm not sure if most writers have been able to do that. Of course, this requires spending more time on Themyscira which certain fans would be resistant to.

I refuse to believe that the amazons sat on their butts or just spared for 3000+ years on an island crafted by Gods. No technological advancement or innovation was born out of sheer boredom, necessity, or curiosity? Its not like there isn't room for magic and tech in amazon society. There are quite a few magic metals from Greek and the Wonder mythos that could be used in similar ways vibranium is in MARVEL; Adamantine, Oriculum, and Amazonium for example. Heck the purple healing ray could be powered by some precious mineral only found on Themyscira. But I think that advance tech is used as an example as to what society could look like if it was more progressive and free from the blood thirsty war like mentality that the amazons view the outside world with.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Eh, tech or not, it’s a fantasy comic at the end of day so I don’t particularly take that much realism into account since it mainly comes more off as an aesthetic preference to me.

Only time I was really “wowed” with high-tech Themyscira was when Jimenez did it.

Eh, tech or not, it’s a fantasy comic at the end of day so I don’t particularly take that much realism into account since it mainly comes more off as an aesthetic preference to me.

Only time I was really “wowed” with high-tech Themyscira was when Jimenez did it.
    It was years later that I saw Jimenez got the idea for the Amazon's having invisible tech chariots from an episode of Super Friends. Still it was a great idea.

Originally Amazon's had advanced technology because their Magic Sphere let them see technology from anywhere in time and they duplicated and improved on it. Some readers think that's a cheat but it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't care where it comes from but I want the Amazons technologically advanced. I've seen Themyscira destroyed too many times and the bronze age weapons and magic bees they used during Amazons Attack were super lame. It's hard to believe they can defend against or fight a war in modern times without modern technology.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't care where it comes from but I want the Amazons technologically advanced. I've seen Themyscira destroyed too many times and the bronze age weapons and magic bees they used during Amazons Attack were super lame. It's hard to believe they can defend against or fight a war in modern times without modern technology.
    Both this and without the tech, it's not like they'd have as much to offer the outside world to make it better if they are without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It was years later that I saw Jimenez got the idea for the Amazon's having invisible tech chariots from an episode of Super Friends. Still it was a great idea.

Originally Amazon's had advanced technology because their Magic Sphere let them see technology from anywhere in time and they duplicated and improved on it. Some readers think that's a cheat but it makes perfect sense to me.

That’s fair, though I’d rather DC stop doing these “Themyscira gets invaded/Themyscira tries to conquer the world” stories. Well is truly run dry there and recently just comes off as a way to throw the Amazons under the bus.

Mighty Member

I think I've said that Wonder Woman dating Superman is one of the most boring pairs in all of DC... To add to that the DCAU having Wonder Woman have a crush on Batman is bad as well... Having Wonder Woman as arm candy to one of the male members of the trinity is a disservice to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I think I've said that Wonder Woman dating Superman is one of the most boring pairs in all of DC... To add to that the DCAU having Wonder Woman have a crush on Batman is bad as well... Having Wonder Woman as arm candy to one of the male members of the trinity is a disservice to the character.
    I agree but I don't think either of those (the Batman one probably) are particularly controversial opinions around here.

Apparently the DCAU gave Diana crush on Bruce because they thought it'd be more original than giving her one on Clark. That it never seemed to occur to them not have Diana crush on either those two lugheads seems to show how little actual thought went into the DCAU version of Diana beyond "gotta have the whole set".

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Phil Jimenez's run came across to me as meh fan fiction with lots of on-the-nose fanservice (his art was gorgeous though).

I agree but I don't think either of those (the Batman one probably) are particularly controversial opinions around here.

Apparently the DCAU gave Diana crush on Bruce because they thought it'd be more original than giving her one on Clark. That it never seemed to occur to them not have Diana crush on either those two lugheads seems to show how little actual thought went into the DCAU version of Diana beyond "gotta have the whole set".
    Was that the reason they gave? I thought it was because Bruce Timm loved projecting himself onto Batman to live out his horny geek fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Was that the reason they gave? I thought it was because Bruce Timm loved projecting himself onto Batman to live out his horny geek fantasies.
    Didn’t say that was the only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Phil Jimenez's run came across to me as meh fan fiction with lots of on-the-nose fanservice (his art was gorgeous though).
    That's almost blasphemy, he was one of the best Post-Crisis writers. I'd rank him third behind Perez and Rucka.

What's so wrong with fanservice anyway and why is it used as a pejorative? We're fans and we need servicing from time to time. That's partly what makes great runs.