Page 21 of 440 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    You and Scott have some really cool ideas about an iconic city for Diana? Do you think those ideas - city being space portal, weird citizens, warrior Holliday girls, big military presence, etc - can be incorporated into Virginia Shoreline, VA?

I'd like to see Diana return to Gateway City, with Donna taking over Hercules's cabin in Elexinor (OR), putting both Wonder-women on the West Coast, ..but, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I'd like to see the old Sensation characters - Mister Terrific, Sargon the Sorcerer, Wildcat, Gay Ghost, the Whip, Lady Danger, the Black Pirate - become occasional companions for Diana, on her adventures. Joining Donna, Cassie, Hercules and I Ching, they could become a sort extended Wonder Family, like Batman's, Superman's or Flash's. Nothing on the horizon tells me that's ever going to happen, but, I think it might be interesting. I suppose you could cram all of this into Virginia.

I don't know...

Wonder Woman having a Wonder Family seems to a controversial opinion, if only because every attempt to give her one gets junked by a new writer. Jason could have been retooled for on-going use, given a cool codename, lair (etc), ..but just got dumped into limbo, as I predicted.
    Having a Wonder family isn't a controversial opinion. Who should be in the Wonder Family is a different can of worms.

You and Scott have some really cool ideas about an iconic city for Diana? Do you think those ideas - city being space portal, weird citizens, warrior Holliday girls, big military presence, etc - can be incorporated into Virginia Shoreline, VA?

I'd like to see Diana return to Gateway City, with Donna taking over Hercules's cabin in Elexinor (OR), putting both Wonder-women on the West Coast, ..but, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I'd like to see the old Sensation characters - Mister Terrific, Sargon the Sorcerer, Wildcat, Gay Ghost, the Whip, Lady Danger, the Black Pirate - become occasional companions for Diana, on her adventures. Joining Donna, Cassie, Hercules and I Ching, they could become a sort extended Wonder Family, like Batman's, Superman's or Flash's. Nothing on the horizon tells me that's ever going to happen, but, I think it might be interesting. I suppose you could cram all of this into Virginia.

I don't know...

Wonder Woman having a Wonder Family seems to a controversial opinion, if only because every attempt to give her one gets junked by a new writer. Jason could have been retooled for on-going use, given a cool codename, lair (etc), ..but just got dumped into limbo, as I predicted.
    This is how it would work. There are two gate ways. The regular one then the one somewhat in a magical dimension. Meaning that you don't have to worry about how large it is. I honestly was just going to put her either back in Boston or DC.

Hey I don't mind Diana having a relationship but what about the military? I mean is the military paying her bills? She says she has no money. I honestly feel that much like how Myndai did. She would make sure Diana had a brand and deals so Diana would get her own income of money in. I don't want the U.S goverment to pay Diana.

Mala. How should Mala be brought back to the main cannon of DC? I feel it's wrong Diana doesn't have a best friend. A young child should have at least a young friend to play with. What would be so wrong that another amazons had found a baby girl?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Jason can be fixed. But I'd put a much higher priority on fixing Donna and Cassie (with "fix" in the meaning of giving them positive and long-lasting relations to Diana).

Given that Jason is also tied to the daddy! Zeus concept right now, I'd rather prefer to not do anything with Jason until that has been cleared up.
    At this point and considered how badly he was introduced, losing Jason would be okay. On a sidebar, I could be happy with Sargon the Sorcerer, Achilles or I Ching joining the adventures, once in a while.

For me, Jason is a proxy or stand-in for Diana's cousin, Virbius Rex, who I think really should have been in the comic, since the Silver Age. A guy, who has the whole Wonder-deal, ..Greek myth origin, the powers, magical weapons, the hereditary royalty, hanging out with the Amazons, futuristic technology, space-agey vehicles - all of that would have been fun, reading about. Even if he never became a Wonder-anything, seeing a guy get 'the deal', being in the Wonder Family and occasionally joining the fun would have been the cat's pajamas!

Virbius is Antiope's boy, by the way. He was condemned to death (drowned), by his father, King Theseus, for a crime he didn't commit, until the goddess Artemis resurrected him, as the king and protector of an enchanted forest, in Italy. Wouldn't the magic forest would be the perfect rationale for why he could never be a regular in the WW comic? He could just show up and do his super-powered cousin thing, once in a while, like Supergirl did for years, ..and back off to the forest, he'd go!

Anyway, Jason, Herc, I Ching and Sargon are still out there, apparently. Let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Having a Wonder family isn't a controversial opinion. Who should be in the Wonder Family is a different can of worms.
    Superhero families typically reflect a superhero, and, because there have been so many interpretations of Wonder Woman, over the last 70+ years, ..it's hard to know what family should look like. Should it be classic Sensations Comics heroes, like Wildcat, Mister Terrific and the rest? Should it be all Greek gods or some of DCU's magical superheroes? Should it be popular WW side-orders, ..like Donna, Cassie, Artemis and Hercules (as Champion)?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is how it would work. There are two gate ways. The regular one then the one somewhat in a magical dimension. Meaning that you don't have to worry about how large it is. I honestly was just going to put her either back in Boston or DC...
    I just love the idea of Wonder Woman's iconic city, being someplace, like Kanigher's Paradise Island, ..in city form. It's literally a gateway to the DCU, with super-powered beings dropping in from weird dimensions, magical realms and time-travel - maybe, hanging out and getting into a little trouble, while Diana figures out what to do with them. Call it Georgetown, Marston City, Gateway City or whatever you like; it could be the universally recognized X-Files Capital of the DCU...

And that would provide a never-ending source of bizarre, memorable and imaginative stories for the WW comic! Possibly the best WW runs, ever!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-21-2019 at 05:28 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

For me, Jason is a proxy or stand-in for Diana's cousin, Virbius Rex, who I think really should have been in the comic, since the Silver Age. A guy, who has the whole Wonder-deal, ..Greek myth origin, the powers, magical weapons, the hereditary royalty, hanging out with the Amazons, futuristic technology, space-agey vehicles - all of that would have been fun, reading about. Even if he never became a Wonder-anything, seeing a guy get 'the deal', being in the Wonder Family and occasionally joining the fun would have been the cat's pajamas!

Virbius is Antiope's boy, by the way. He was condemned to death (drowned), by his father, King Theseus, for a crime he didn't commit, until the goddess Artemis resurrected him, as the king and protector of an enchanted forest, in Italy. Wouldn't the magic forest would be the perfect rationale for why he could never be a regular in the WW comic? He could just show up and do his super-powered cousin thing, once in a while, like Supergirl did for years, ..and back off to the forest, he'd go!
    Are you thinking about Hippolytus?

One could possibly do something with him, but he is rather a mishmash of Greek and Roman myths, and I'd prefer to get some solid handle about the history of the Amazons and their role before introducing stuff like that. And there isn't that much to work with when it comes to him, mythologically speaking.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Diana's city can take her anywhere in the world. So her passport from Gateway changes to where she is. She is a citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Are you thinking about Hippolytus?

One could possibly do something with him, but he is rather a mishmash of Greek and Roman myths, and I'd prefer to get some solid handle about the history of the Amazons and their role before introducing stuff like that. And there isn't that much to work with when it comes to him, mythologically speaking.
    Virbius is same guy...less typin'.

Adapting his myth should be easy for a good writer. Anyway, he's a cousin, an immortal demigod and the king of his own enchanted forest. The best he could do is visit, once in awhile, show off some super-powers and get back to kinging those woods. Maybe, his backstory doesn't matter that much.

Donna, Cassie, Queen Desira and Lord Hermes are probably the best place to start with a Wonder Family. They don't have to be regulars, either, ..and I'd prefer they weren't. I think having Desira and Hermes in the family would almost feel like having him, back with Queen Hera.

For me, the regulars (as in every or every other issue) are Rucka's regulars - Etta, Steve (and in that order) and Ferdinand. I'd add sunny, optimistic Mala to play against tough, brash Etta, ..and to invent things for Diana. Mala could also spar with her...useful.

Maybe, having a cast and a Wonder Family isn't controversial, as Agent Z said. Maybe, nobody on the creative end, since Kanigher, has bothered to keep them in circulation.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana's city can take her anywhere in the world. So her passport from Gateway changes to where she is. She is a citizen of the world.
    A sentient Gateway City would be delightfully weird. I think the WW comic needs more weirdness.

They did that with the Wonder Dome. So maybe another way to do it is something that would make sense. Maybe there is a god that is the actually gateway or something else.

I'd add sunny, optimistic Mala to play against tough, brash Etta, ..and to invent things for Diana. Mala could also spar with her...useful.
    Which is a neat counter-poise to the Kryptonian Mala. I'd really love to see her in a story where she escapes the Phantom Zone and hides on Paradise Island.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Which is a neat counter-poise to the Kryptonian Mala. I'd really love to see her in a story where she escapes the Phantom Zone and hides on Paradise Island.
    I love what you guys are coming up with here. Ever since the idea was brought up I’ve been obsessed myself with establishing holiday college, minor dc characters and the wonder family in Gateway. I love this concept and I hope it happens one day.

I would love to see Paradise Island, conceptually, come back as Diana's Batcave, ..under the singular condition that it doesn't swallow the entire island. The Island and the Amazons used to be useful plot devices and more than that, supplying a story with weird, problem-solving thingamabobs, heart-warming companions and the occasional subplot. However, since George Perez left the comic, writers have used the island to hatch stories, showcasing Diana's Greek myth background - the exhausting cycle of god-wars.

I'm so sick of god-wars.

Now, the WW comic seems eyeball deep in Greek myth-inspired stories, anyway, ..even without the Island in the picture. Theoretically, Greg Rucka's getting the island out of the picture might have created an opportunity for writers to explore Diana's colorful, non-mythical rogues ..and stories that showed her to be the trans-genre superhero, she was in the Golden Age. May as well bring Paradise back, since its absence doesn't seem to make a difference, anymore!

I am still an advocate for the fabled two-comic solution. A second comic [Sensational World of Wonder Woman?], that is entirely devoted to myth and magic stories, featuring the Amazons and their Greek myth allies, might find a loyal following. A WW-related anthology comic, featuring stories about Artemis, Donna Troy and Sensation alumni, like Lady Danger, Wildcat, Mister Terrific, Sargon the Sorcerer, Hop Harrigan and the Gay Ghost also has possibilities.

In addition to returning the Island-as-Batcave option to the on-going narrative, the establishment of an iconic weird city, a capital of the bizarre - populated by DC's strangest heroes and supporting characters - could also bring a narrative structure that could justify the long-term interest of inspired writers and speculative, new readers. Maybe, I emotionally invest in the WW comic, easier, if I think I'm going to see her interacting with my favorite supporting characters ..or occasionally teaming up with Donna, Hercules and Wildcat.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-26-2019 at 02:45 AM.

I been curious with the way Barbra has been written. How different would it be if she already became Cheetah? I mean in many origins she is a archeologist. Maybe she should already have a interest in becoming a god

Boisterously Confused

Letting Original Diana survive the Crisis, complete with Fury as her grown daughter, would have made for some interesting stories back in the 1980s (or today for that matter).

I would have loved that. I really hope Diana’s daughter is about Fury