Page 210 of 440 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 6592
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Warrior Woman was in BvS, it was just that she was fighting Doomsday so it wasn't inappropriate. It was just the right amount, which could have easily gone bad I suspect if the plot focused on her character more. But it's kind of moot because the plot didn't.

I don't think she was in enough of BvS to really get a grasp of her, probably intentional given the solo film was being made at the same time. She did seem to be the thing audiences came away from mostly liking but being the most liked thing in BvS isn't that hard.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think she was in enough of BvS to really get a grasp of her, probably intentional given the solo film was being made at the same time. She did seem to be the thing audiences came away from mostly liking but being the most liked thing in BvS isn't that hard.
    I think what we know now (the leaked photo) combined with the sword and shield stuff is an indicator that Warrior Woman was a possibility. But Snyder could have abandoned that idea anyway, and like you say it's hard to say completely for sure.

The plot not touching her that much was a blessing in disguise, even if she was sort of superfluous in the final movie. Still the best thing about it though by a wide margin which is...not great.

She was going to chop off heads. Thanks to Jenkins we are getting more of classical Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    She was going to chop off heads. Thanks to Jenkins we are getting more of classical Wonder Woman
    And thanks to Johns, Azz and Snyder (both of them if I'm being honest), the classical take on Diana is perceived as wrong because their version of Wonder Woman is... Tell you what, I'll let one of Youtube's biggest comic book channels/personalities, Benny/Comicstorian (where a lot of people who don't read comics get the updates on what's going on with characters they love) tell you in his own words. In case I messed up the link, skip to 47:20 :

This is who people think she is now. It's a disgrace.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-14-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

So, that seems to be a major divide. To fans of WW, they like a well-balanced character who seeks to disarm her enemies and even attempt to reform them if possible. Non-fans want Warrior Woman, goes sword first into any interaction, leads with violence, kicks ass and asks questions later, no mercy shown/given. The question coming to me is: how do you go about bridging that gap, and is it even possible to do so?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No, no, no, no! Stop race bending known characters. It's lazy, tiresome and fake progression. The answer to diversity is making characters of color so amazing that everyone is drawn to them.
    It depends on what characters though... If someone really told me they cared about the race of a character like Cathy Perkins, I feel that they are lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    So, that seems to be a major divide. To fans of WW, they like a well-balanced character who seeks to disarm her enemies and even attempt to reform them if possible. Non-fans want Warrior Woman, goes sword first into any interaction, leads with violence, kicks ass and asks questions later, no mercy shown/given. The question coming to me is: how do you go about bridging that gap, and is it even possible to do so?
    I've even heard people say that Wonder Woman doesn't have as big of a rogues gallery as Batman and even Superman because she "takes care of them"...No they just don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post

I've even heard people say that Wonder Woman doesn't have as big of a rogues gallery as Batman and even Superman because she "takes care of them"...No they just don't use them.
    Yeah, I’ve had to correct that line. Wasn’t that something Geoff johns wrote for her in a justice league book or something? Anyways, it’s not true, and it certainly comes from someone who has a spotty record at best when it comes to WW.

Yeah, I’ve had to correct that line. Wasn’t that something Geoff johns wrote for her in a justice league book or something? Anyways, it’s not true, and it certainly comes from someone who has a spotty record at best when it comes to WW.
    Yep, courtesy of our boy Geoff:

I recently saw someone on Twitter comment Flashpoint...where Diana chops Mera's head off, murders children, and attempts genocide...was (his words) "Wonder Woman at her best." I needed to lie down after that whopper.
    We often talk about awful Wonder Woman writers like Frank Miller and such, but in terms of long-term damage inflicted on her, Geoff Johns is probably tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

I recently saw someone on Twitter comment Flashpoint...where Diana chops Mera's head off, murders children, and attempts genocide...was (his words) "Wonder Woman at her best." I needed to lie down after that whopper.
    We often talk about awful Wonder Woman writers like Frank Miller and such, but in terms of long-term damage inflicted on her, Geoff Johns is probably tops.
    That's fair though I'd say popular elseworlds, which I guess Miller and Flashpoint do fall under, like Kingdom Come and Injustice also play a factor into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

I’d also throw in what’s his name? I don’t know his first name, but his last name was Priest I think? I’m mentioning him because he’s another writer who I feel fundamentally doesn’t understand WW. He’s worked on Black Panther and other stuff. He wrote a Justice League story and I believe he said somewhere in an interview that he struggled to write Wonder Woman because he said something to the effect of “I can’t take tough talk from a woman wearing a tiara seriously”.

Yikes. And it showed.
    Last edited by Amazon Swordsman; 01-14-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I’d also throw in what’s his name? I don’t know his first name, but his last name was Priest I think? I’m mentioning him because he’s another writer who I feel fundamentally doesn’t understand WW. He’s worked on Black Panther and other stuff. He wrote a Justice League story and I believe he said somewhere in an interview that he struggled to write Wonder Woman because he said something to the effect of “I can’t take tough talk from a woman wearing a tiara seriously”.

Yikes. And it showed.
    I think this is it
    I couldn't relate to white women in tiaras talking Big Talk and having exotic conflicts over exotic dangers.
    He goes on to explain his issues with the character and DCs handling of her
    http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/ww.html

This is happening with Batman and Superman to an extent as well where people are bringing up past instances of them killing in order to 'prove' that they are really killers.

Some will change their mind. Others will continue to be stubborn. We just need people like Patty in charge and people following Matston/Rucka/Perez's lead handling the comics. It might take a generational shift or two for things to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    And thanks to Johns, Azz and Snyder (both of them if I'm being honest), the classical take on Diana is perceived as wrong because their version of Wonder Woman is... Tell you what, I'll let one of Youtube's biggest comic book channels/personalities, Benny/Comicstorian (where a lot of people who don't read comics get the updates on what's going on with characters they love) tell you in his own words. In case I messed up the link, skip to 47:20 :

God, I'm dreading the next Injustice and the inevitable "this is how Wonder Woman should be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Neither Azzarello nor Snyder depicted Diana like that. There are a lot of issues with Azzarello's Wonder Woman run but Diana isn't one of them.