Page 216 of 437 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 6549

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't get the hype around Yara.
    Brazil has a lot of DC fans thanks to the DCAU. I’ve learned that through Twitter and Instagram. Yara for them is sort of a validation of their fandom. Plus she’s got a cool costume, and sometimes that’s enough, Venom has coasted for decades solely off of how cool he looks.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Brazil has a lot of DC fans thanks to the DCAU. I’ve learned that through Twitter and Instagram. Yara for them is sort of a validation of their fandom. Plus she’s got a cool costume, and sometimes that’s enough, Venom has coasted for decades solely off of how cool he looks.
    Apparently she's not a complete hit with Brazilians.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How can we balance out the competition? That's why I did love Mala. If they did being her back and pushed this idea that Diana could have close it would be great
    She ingests a herb that suppresses her natural powers? :P

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"When the first issue dropped people, namely People of Color, started realizing she sounded off, not even close to resembling the ethnicity the character should be conveying."

"The lack of commitment is clear when we realize that saying Yara comes from the Amazon (which we now know is a lie since she comes from Idaho) is enough to inform her ethnicity, her heritage and her identity. "

" I should note that the strange YouTube channel she links to in the piece is solely about Southern Brazilian state culture, which is predominantly white. They have a history of flirting with secessionist ideas, and are the exact opposite of where the Amazon rainforest is, geographically speaking. In other words that’s as far from the Amazon as you can get without leaving Brazilian borders. This is the same as saying Taco Bell is traditional Mexican cuisine. So DC decided to create a character for its Brazilian audience and they assigned it to a White woman in America who’s sitting at home watching YouTube videos about a culture she doesn’t understand and I should recognize that as authentic? "

Heheh. That does sound like the common mistakes foreigners do when writing a culture not about their own and they don't have native consultants.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-01-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "When the first issue dropped people, namely People of Color, started realizing she sounded off, not even close to resembling the ethnicity the character should be conveying."

"The lack of commitment is clear when we realize that saying Yara comes from the Amazon (which we now know is a lie since she comes from Idaho) is enough to inform her ethnicity, her heritage and her identity. "

" I should note that the strange YouTube channel she links to in the piece is solely about Southern Brazilian state culture, which is predominantly white. They have a history of flirting with secessionist ideas, and are the exact opposite of where the Amazon rainforest is, geographically speaking. In other words that’s as far from the Amazon as you can get without leaving Brazilian borders. This is the same as saying Taco Bell is traditional Mexican cuisine. So DC decided to create a character for its Brazilian audience and they assigned it to a White woman in America who’s sitting at home watching YouTube videos about a culture she doesn’t understand and I should recognize that as authentic? "

Heheh. That does sound like the common mistakes foreigners do when writing a culture not about their own and they don't have native consultants.
    It's a lot of mistakes/misconceptions american often have from Brazil. It's a very complex country, indigenous culture is complex too. At the end Brazil is just her birth place, sh eis mostly a foreign on her own country.

Jones said that Dc offered the chaarcter to brazilians creators, DC probably asked for one or two creators tht were lreay working on their own things.

I think a lot of hype was because of the tv show that didn't went forward

Amazing Member

I will say something. I'm a descendant the of Goitacá indians my grandmother is indigenous, and I can say that Yara is far from being a representation of Brazilian Indians .. .. Yara is a nice character, but she doesn't sound like an indigenous Girl .. and I agree with the article, I read many truths there.
    Last edited by Superfamily; 03-01-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Here's something that could be considered controvercial, given those vociferous few who keep posting all they hate about it.

Wonder Woman 84 is a fun, emotional, and beautiful movie with amazing action sequences and the scene where Diana

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

learns to fly is on par with No Man's Land from the 1st WW.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Here's something that could be considered controvercial, given those vociferous few who keep posting all they hate about it.

Wonder Woman 84 is a fun, emotional, and beautiful movie with amazing action sequences and the scene where Diana

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

I thought it was more so on par with Man of Steel flight scene. (They're actually surprisingly similar, why has no one pointed this out, lol)

Superman flies because he finally accepts the responsibility of becoming Superman.

Diana flies because she reclaims the responsibility of Wonder Woman.

Both of their flight scenes come from sacrifice and acceptance. It's similar to the eastern philosophy of letting go of earthly attachments so you can be free.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Yeah I loved watching the movie. Well the first act was disapointing to me and I really didn't like the acting of Max's son. But I loved the rest. It's shocking how focussed it was on that core theme. It didn't have any unecessary subplots

It's kind of rich to see people complaining about Diana killing terrorists whose potential victims included children after seeing multiple videos and articles defending Harley Quinn and Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's kind of rich to see people complaining about Diana killing terrorists whose potential victims included children after seeing multiple videos and articles defending Harley Quinn and Scarlet Witch.
    That's like saying that people hate Superman being a cold blooded killer but don't complain about Deadpool and Raven controlling people while influenced by her demon dad.

Diana shouldn't be on the level of either of these characters. The most annoying part is really that overkill of an explosion when she could easily use her lasso to disarm him or just dash to him while he was reloading.

Here's a hot take I think people are going to love, the WHOLE terrorist scene from start to finish... should have been axed.

It has no bearing on the plot. It doesn't tie into the overall story. Its Diana at her worst out of character moment. It only serves as an intro to a character with already 2 prior movie appearances. Its too long as an intro anyway. The terrorists have no actual motivation, if they did we didn't get it cause Diana acted ooc. The lasso of truth might as well be the lasso of going around the truth based on the guy's dialogue. Diana blows up a side of the building she was trying to prevent getting blown up anyway, for no reason. She blows up the side where the debris landed on the police, news crews, and civilians were all located. The people she saved should be traumatized for life having 1) witnessed a blood massacre happen before their eyes in like 10 seconds 2) narrowly escaping death by getting shot at 3) watching a guy get literally vaporized.

These weren't religious fanatics that somehow knew of Darkseid and wanted to appease/prepare his arrival by destroying half a city and killing millions. That would have been a little comic bookie. Realism, its only important where people want it to be.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Yeah I agree and I thought the same of a lot of things in the first act.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's like saying that people hate Superman being a cold blooded killer but don't complain about Deadpool and Raven controlling people while influenced by her demon dad.
    When those people act like they are every bit as heroic as Superman and Wonder Woman, then yeah, it's hypocritical.

Even if you have an issue with how Diana acted in that scene, the way people talk about her you'd think she was the Red Skull.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Here's a hot take I think people are going to love, the WHOLE terrorist scene from start to finish... should have been axed.

It has no bearing on the plot. It doesn't tie into the overall story. Its Diana at her worst out of character moment. It only serves as an intro to a character with already 2 prior movie appearances. Its too long as an intro anyway. The terrorists have no actual motivation, if they did we didn't get it cause Diana acted ooc. The lasso of truth might as well be the lasso of going around the truth based on the guy's dialogue. Diana blows up a side of the building she was trying to prevent getting blown up anyway, for no reason. She blows up the side where the debris landed on the police, news crews, and civilians were all located. The people she saved should be traumatized for life having 1) witnessed a blood massacre happen before their eyes in like 10 seconds 2) narrowly escaping death by getting shot at 3) watching a guy get literally vaporized.

These weren't religious fanatics that somehow knew of Darkseid and wanted to appease/prepare his arrival by destroying half a city and killing millions. That would have been a little comic bookie. Realism, its only important where people want it to be.
    She was trying to save civilians not necessarily the building itself. And being traumatized is going to come with the territory of being a civilian in a superhero universe where death and destruction are an everyday occurrence.

The issues with the scene mainly come down to people complaining about her not using the Lasso enough, a complaint that frankly has gotten old the more its repeated. It's like people think the damn thing is a character in its own right instead of just one of many tools Diana uses. At times, I kind of wish it never existed.