Page 217 of 440 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She was trying to save civilians not necessarily the building itself. And being traumatized is going to come with the territory of being a civilian in a superhero universe where death and destruction are an everyday occurrence.

The issues with the scene mainly come down to people complaining about her not using the Lasso enough, a complaint that frankly has gotten old the more its repeated. It's like people think the damn thing is a character in its own right instead of just one of many tools Diana uses. At times, I kind of wish it never existed.
    By blowing up the building she endangered the people on the street. And I haven't actually seen many people complaining about her not using the lasso in that scene. She shouldn't need any weapons to deal with non-powered enemies. The complaints are usually about the unnecessary violence and terrible dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    By blowing up the building she endangered the people on the street. And I haven't actually seen many people complaining about her not using the lasso in that scene. She shouldn't need any weapons to deal with non-powered enemies. The complaints are usually about the unnecessary violence and terrible dialogue.
    The explosion wasn't even that large in the first place.

She was trying to save civilians not necessarily the building itself. And being traumatized is going to come with the territory of being a civilian in a superhero universe where death and destruction are an everyday occurrence.

The issues with the scene mainly come down to people complaining about her not using the Lasso enough, a complaint that frankly has gotten old the more its repeated. It's like people think the damn thing is a character in its own right instead of just one of many tools Diana uses. At times, I kind of wish it never existed.
    The lasso is the physical embodiment of her beliefs. It's not about "tradition" or "rituals". Any scene where Diana uses a sword is far more interesting if she solves that problem with her bare hands or the lasso.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The lasso is the physical embodiment of her beliefs. It's not about "tradition" or "rituals". Any scene where Diana uses a sword is far more interesting if she solves that problem with her bare hands or the lasso.
    She didn't use a sword once in that scene and people are still complaining.

The lasso only exists because of Marston's interest in s&m. Let's not act like it goes any deeper than that.

It's kind of rich to see people complaining about Diana killing terrorists whose potential victims included children after seeing multiple videos and articles defending Harley Quinn and Scarlet Witch.
    I’m not particularly enamored with the terrorist scene (I thought it was just kind of silly) and I have no love for any version of Harley Quinn but what did Scarlet Witch do? I don’t watch WandaVision so I assume it’s something related to that?

It's kind of rich to see people complaining about Diana killing terrorists whose potential victims included children after seeing multiple videos and articles defending Harley Quinn and Scarlet Witch.
    I don't care that she killed terrorists. It's just silly because the scene itself show's she faster than a bullet, but for some reason it's still necessary for her to kill them instead of disarm them? It's just a scene that's clearly being over the top for the sake of being over the top.

It also comes across like they tried so hard to have her be "realistic" that she does something completely unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’m not particularly enamored with the terrorist scene (I thought it was just kind of silly) and I have no love for any version of Harley Quinn but what did Scarlet Witch do? I don’t watch WandaVision so I assume it’s something related to that?
    Between the terrorist scene and the ancient lamentation soundtrack that keeps blaring in the background every time Diana moves, Snyder's Wonder Woman has more-or-less become a meme.

As for what Wanda did, she brainwashed an entire town essentially turning them into human puppets who where partially aware of their actions under her control (a dream-like state basically), and had children be separate from their parents and locked in their rooms for several days until she needed them for her sitcom...
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-01-2021 at 05:53 AM.

The lasso only exists because of Marston's interest in s&m. Let's not act like it goes any deeper than that.
    I know. And it has tons of meaning beyond Marston himself.
    She is the kind of person that brings a lasso to a gun fight. A lasso that reveals the truth (regardless of how its powers work)

The sword only bothers me when they have Diana use it too much. I think it should be an "oh ****" moment when she uses it. I guess to me it's like Spider-man using a gun, it's just off.

I think the mistake people make with Wonder Woman is that she's a superhero first and a warrior second. The first movie it didn't bother me because she didn't know much about her powers, she was fighting in a war, and the sword turned out to be completely useless when used against Ares anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I don't care that she killed terrorists. It's just silly because the scene itself show's she faster than a bullet, but for some reason it's still necessary for her to kill them instead of disarm them? It's just a scene that's clearly being over the top for the sake of being over the top.

It also comes across like they tried so hard to have her be "realistic" that she does something completely unrealistic.

Between the terrorist scene and the ancient lamentation soundtrack that keeps blaring in the background every time Diana moves, Snyder's Wonder Woman has more-or-less become a meme.

As for what Wanda did, she brainwashed an entire town essentially turning them into human puppets who where partially aware of their actions under her control (a dream-like state basically), and had children be separate from their parents and locked in their rooms for several days until she needed them for her sitcom...
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I know. And it has tons of meaning beyond Marston himself.
    She is the kind of person that brings a lasso to a gun fight. A lasso that reveals the truth (regardless of how its powers work)

Follow up, I wonder if people think Ghost Rider should use a sword. Ghost Rider's chains are used in such badass ways but for some reason people here think a sword is more dynamic than a magical rope.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The explosion wasn't even that large in the first place.
    Why does there even need to be an explosion at all (and some of the debris nearly hits people outside)? She's fast enough to close the distance between herself and the guy before he finishes reloading and starts opening fire again. She doesn't even need to use the lasso if you don't want to. Even if she still has to end the scene by killing him, why do it in the most OTT and dumb way possible?

Some people complain about the scene because it's a dumb scene in a movie that is otherwise pretty restrained by Snyder standards.

It can exist for that reason and also have some deeper meaning in his stuff and the work of others using the character.
    There's no hard rule it has to be either/or

What do the actions of these unrelated characters have to do with criticisms of the Wonder Woman scene?

I hate what Harley has become and don't care to defend her, and I haven't seen Wanda Vision yet
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-01-2021 at 06:30 PM.

I don't think I'd mind the sword and shield so much if they at least gave it some in-universe importance unique to Diana or Themyscira. The bracelets, lasso, and hell even the tiara and the belt have been given that in iterations but the sword/shield might as well just be stuff she stole from a museum.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-01-2021 at 07:24 PM.

What? You mean people hold Wonder Woman to a higher standard of heroism than the psychopathic anti-hero/villain and the traumatized woman who doesn't understand her powers? What idiots.

Honestly, what the terrorist scene reminded me of more than anything was the bit in Man of Steel where Clark is working at a bar or tavern and some dude is harassing the waitress. Clark asks him to leave, guys acts like an ass, so Clark...walks away.
    What this says is, in Snyder's point of view, Superman could either reduce this guy to paste or do absolutely nothing. There is no middle ground. There was no other possible way for Clark to deal with this unruly patron. Murder or nothing at all.

And we see this with Wonder Woman and the terrorists. Apparently, disarming and disabling the men was out of the question. Diana, despite being a master fighter with years of training and at least a century of experience, has so little control of her abilities she could only destroy the squishy humans with maximum brutality.

Snyder's gonna Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    [
    It's also worth pointing out that the show doesn't paint Wanda's actions as heroic or noble. And, slight spoiler, when she's confronted with what she's doing, she freaks out and tries to let them go.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    What? You mean people hold Wonder Woman to a higher standard of heroism than the psychopathic anti-hero/villain and the traumatized woman who doesn't understand her powers? What idiots.

Honestly, what the terrorist scene reminded me of more than anything was the bit in Man of Steel where Clark is working at a bar or tavern and some dude is harassing the waitress. Clark asks him to leave, guys acts like an ass, so Clark...walks away.
    What this says is, in Snyder's point of view, Superman could either reduce this guy to paste or do absolutely nothing. There is no middle ground. There was no other possible way for Clark to deal with this unruly patron. Murder or nothing at all.

And we see this with Wonder Woman and the terrorists. Apparently, disarming and disabling the men was out of the question. Diana, despite being a master fighter with years of training and at least a century of experience, has so little control of her abilities she could only destroy the squishy humans with maximum brutality.

Snyder's gonna Snyder.
    I actually think the scene of Clark in the bar is a pretty good scene, and trashing the truck is a wonderfully petty dick move straight out of the Golden Age.

But the terrorist scene forced me to conclude that Superman totally obliterated that dude he tackled through the wall in BvS but then said his hands were clean a couple scenes later

(insert Black Lodge Leland Palmer "I didn't kill anybody *giggles* GIF here)