Page 24 of 440 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seriously, am I the only one who thinks it would be less convoluted if Themyscira were accessible through normal means amd creating these hoops to jump through in order to get there undermines the story's message of reintegration and unity?
    It's been destroyed too many times for that, I'd like it in another dimension where the Amazons are safer. If they had ways of replenishing their ranks I'd be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    I have absolutely no idea why any Wonder Woman fan would want her to be in a relationship with Superman, especially long term. I know most Wonder Woman fans also don't agree with it but I just don't get the few that do. Why would you want your hero to be someone else's love interest? Shouldn't Diana have her own love interest and supporting cast rather than be part of Superman's?

I'm not saying you can't be a big WW and like their relationship, I just don't know how.
    For me it's the black hair and blue eyes, similar ideologies, powers, names and color schemes.

What do you guys think about the send away children idea? I think it could be a bit expanded on. Like maybe not just children in water but girls abandoned or killed

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    I have absolutely no idea why any Wonder Woman fan would want her to be in a relationship with Superman, especially long term. I know most Wonder Woman fans also don't agree with it but I just don't get the few that do. Why would you want your hero to be someone else's love interest? Shouldn't Diana have her own love interest and supporting cast rather than be part of Superman's?

I'm not saying you can't be a big WW and like their relationship, I just don't know how.
    I loved SM/WW being a couple!! I thought it was the best thing DC comics ever did!! When they rebooted and started rebirth I dropped DC comics!! I think SM being with Lois again is boring, same goes for WW and Steve!! Bring back SM/WW the power couple!!

Hey, am I the only one who thinks Villainy Inc should be more written like a twisted version of the Amazons? I mean majority of the times is female villains. A twisted sisterhood. That they should somewhat care for each other’s. I know that is silly but I do think it would fit in with a twist sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Hey, am I the only one who thinks Villainy Inc should be more written like a twisted version of the Amazons? I mean majority of the times is female villains. A twisted sisterhood. That they should somewhat care for each other’s. I know that is silly but I do think it would fit in with a twist sisterhood
    I am not so certain that they should be written as an opposite for the Amazons, but, I think they should each be uniquely relevant to challenging Wonder Woman's mission. These ladies should be the elite class of Diana's adversaries - no come one, come all admissions policy - and it should be easily apparent, individually, why they are.

I'm trying very, very hard to rationalize or understand how Cheetah's situation makes her Diana's natural nemesis. In the past, I have defended her potential as the bloodthirsty, pessimistic Darwinist-nihilist, who challenges Diana's belief in humankind's ability to save itself and make the world a better place. However, that argument has always been justified by what I have understood to be Cheetah's potential, as her arch-nemesis. Recently, I have come to question that potential, which, in spite of Cheetah's use by several skilled writers, ..never seems to materialize in any kind of significant, game-changing way.

Cheetah isn't the only one. Maybe, that's controversial.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm trying very, very hard to rationalize or understand how Cheetah's situation makes her Diana's natural nemesis. In the past, I have defended her potential as the bloodthirsty, pessimistic Darwinist-nihilist, who challenges Diana's belief in humankind's ability to save itself and make the world a better place. However, that argument has always been justified by what I have understood to be Cheetah's potential, as her arch-nemesis. Recently, I have come to question that potential, which, in spite of Cheetah's use by several skilled writers, ..never seems to materialize in any kind of significant, game-changing way.
    I think nemesis is the wrong word to describe the relation between Wonder Woman and the Cheetah. Cheetah is more of a twisted or distorted reflection of Diana's personality. For an actual nemesis, I think Ares or Doctor Psycho or Veronica Cale are better positioned, since they are much more in direct opposition to Diana's values and beliefs.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Technically Ares ain’t just Diana’s enemy but the Amazons also. So he isn’t necessarily her archenemy

Incredible Member

I feel like Diana doesnt need a male sidekick or counterpart. But she could could be a mentor to a young male upcoming hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I feel like Diana doesnt need a male sidekick or counterpart. But she could could be a mentor to a young male upcoming hero.
    Sargon the Sorcerer could hang out with her and Maggie, sometimes. He's a Sensation Comics hero, and he's sufficiently unlike her, so as not to upstage her act.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's been destroyed too many times for that, I'd like it in another dimension where the Amazons are safer. If they had ways of replenishing their ranks I'd be fine with it.
    Then stop having it destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I loved SM/WW being a couple!! I thought it was the best thing DC comics ever did!! When they rebooted and started rebirth I dropped DC comics!! I think SM being with Lois again is boring, same goes for WW and Steve!! Bring back SM/WW the power couple!!
    Does the current version feature Super-Lois? Lois is a character as interesting as Superman. Writers not using her well is the problem, not her being boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I am not so certain that they should be written as an opposite for the Amazons, but, I think they should each be uniquely relevant to challenging Wonder Woman's mission. These ladies should be the elite class of Diana's adversaries - no come one, come all admissions policy - and it should be easily apparent, individually, why they are.
    One idea that comes to my mind is the idea of making them akin to a supervillain mentorship program. You have the top villains that teach the lesser villains how to be better (worse?) villains. That might shake Diana more than any one individual can.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Technically Ares ain’t just Diana’s enemy but the Amazons also. So he isn’t necessarily her archenemy
    He's definitely the arch enemy of the patrons, particularly Aphrodite and Athena, not Diana herself. He's poised as the Big Bad to their Big Good, and the Origin Villain, and has proven to not be suited as a direct recurring personal arch enemy. His impact diminishes with almost every appearance.

Circe would be a better option, but she should also be Hippolyta's nemesis, less so Diana. She just cannot get to Hippolyta while she is on the island, so she takes out her grudge on her daughter (and in the process develops a rivalry with her). The one improvement the DCAU made to the Wondy mythos was simplifying Circe's motivations (hates Hippolyta) from the convoluted nonsense we get in the comics (the trading souls stuff).

Cheetah and Veronica Cale are 100% Wonder Woman's, and their grudges are more direct and simple, so they would be better suited for the arch nemesis spot.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Does the current version feature Super-Lois? Lois is a character as interesting as Superman. Writers not using her well is the problem, not her being boring.
    Clark/Lois cane be boring, but that's just because they've been a couple or ship teased since friggin 1938. Anything will get stale when stretched out that long. At their core, they are perfect for each other, and it has more passion than SM/WW could ever hope to.

Lois is many things, and the Silver Age not many were positive (same with the rest of the Super cast), but she was never boring.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-28-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Cheetah and Veronica Cale are 100% Wonder Woman's, and their grudges are more direct and simple, so they would be better suited for the arch nemesis spot.
    I see Circe as a figure akin to Ares who is bigger than WW, and not a personal enemy, but an enemy of the Amazons.
    Clark/Lois can be boring, but that's just because they've been a couple or ship teased since friggin 1938. Anything will get stale when stretched out that long. At their core, they are perfect for each other, and it has more passion than SM/WW could ever hope to.

Lois is many things, and the Silver Age not many were positive (same with the rest of the Super cast), but she was never boring.
    Yeah, real world, Superman and Lois Lane have been written for 80 years. That's a LOT!

I have to wonder just what the subtext for some of her early appearances was. In the Max Fleischer cartoons she was written as a non-villainous antagonist/annoyance more than a romantic interest. Or so it feels now. I'm wondering if the subtext was that she was presented as the sort of woman who was an ideal love interest, even if the cartoons never actually showed them doing anything romantic.

Do we even know what Circe’s current origin is? Because I’m really liking the confrontation between Diana and Circe that’s being built to in JLD. For me the only two who can even have a chance of laying claim to the title of arch for Diana is Cheetah and Circe. I like Cale a lot after Rucka’s Rebirth run, but I don’t think she’s done enough to really be in competition for being the WW villain.