Page 245 of 440 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295345 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 6590
    Mighty Member

Here's a take...the New Gods can be used as a crutch when people can't figure out how to use a superhero's classic rogues in interesting ways. (i.e. Superman the Animated Series they've straight up said they used the New Gods because they were having trouble with Superman's rogues [same guys who made Freeze into a household name couldn't figure out how to use characters like Terra Man, Master Jailer, etc]). I wouldn't want Diana to mix up with them too much, I get that they can satisfy the powerhouse problem, but if they fight Diana too often I see it as a cop out. (i.e. if they use say Stompa to fight Wonder Woman over Giganta that's when I ask "WHY?!")

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Here's a take...the New Gods can be used as a crutch when people can't figure out how to use a superhero's classic rogues in interesting ways. (i.e. Superman the Animated Series they've straight up said they used the New Gods because they were having trouble with Superman's rogues [same guys who made Freeze into a household name couldn't figure out how to use characters like Terra Man, Master Jailer, etc]). I wouldn't want Diana to mix up with them too much, I get that they can satisfy the powerhouse problem, but if they fight Diana too often I see it as a cop out. (i.e. if they use say Stompa to fight Wonder Woman over Giganta that's when I ask "WHY?!")
    The only "evil" New Gods Diana should have the most interactions with, and by that I mean a story line every now and again, is 1) Chang Tzu 2)Granny and the Furies and 3) the 4 horsemen. One should be her in her rouges to begin with, the other seems to be a default enemy for her or any other superpowered heroes, and the last seems like something I would personally like to see.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    *sigh* yeah... I hate when writers make her say stereotypical "man-hater" dialogue, it's so lazy, you can tell they know nothing about the character.
    I still blame Bruce Timm for causing that in the Justice League animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I think it's a pretty common criticism DC uses the New Gods as a quick-and-easy way to spruce up character's worlds because no one would actually buy a New Gods/Fourth World ongoing; Superman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg from the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Because the man barely gets a real chance.
    It's true, but I honestly think Diana should move on to more unique characters to fall in love with. Steve is fine as the first man she meets and that shows her that men are worth caring about, but after that he kind of reduces her world doesn't he? I don't think Diana is the type that just wants someone nice and dedicated to settle down with. She's an adventurer at heart to me. So she needs to keep meeting people that show her fascinating new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's true, but I honestly think Diana should move on to more unique characters to fall in love with. Steve is fine as the first man she meets and that shows her that men are worth caring about, but after that he kind of reduces her world doesn't he? I don't think Diana is the type that just wants someone nice and dedicated to settle down with. She's an adventurer at heart to me. So she needs to keep meeting people that show her fascinating new things.
    That doesn't mean she needs to be romantically involved with them.

Because the man barely gets a real chance.
    Doesn't he? Between the movies and the t.v. shows, he's certainly gotten more of a chance than just about any love interested Diana has had.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doesn't he? Between the movies and the t.v. shows, he's certainly gotten more of a chance than just about any love interested Diana has had.
    Compared to the likes of Lois Lane, Selina Kyle, Iris West...no he doesnt. He's often one and done.

Movies - 2...but died in the first one and 2nd was all about Diana learning how to move on from him.

Animated - was in what? 2 episodes of JL animated? 2 WW animated films

Well, when the other options are being Superman or Batman's lapdog.

Ah yes, the love sick puppy with no other qualities to him but loving Diana and flying constantly following Diana's feet, never gets old. Between his golden age version, his silver age version, his non existence in post-crisis, and being cuckold in Nu52 to Clark constantly trying to one up each other, and now his reversion back to something akin to the golden age. Steve has never really been a character. He's a pilot and he loves Diana, that's pretty much it. I don't recall much else about him. Does he like to travel? what's his hobbies? is he just a stereotype all American commando from G.I.JOE? who is Steve Trevor outside of Diana's puppy? and even with all that exposure, writers almost seem to NOT want to make him interesting.

Edit: as others pointed out it wasn't much exposure.
    Last edited by Perseus; 05-07-2021 at 08:38 PM.

I ask once again, why do writers have to invest time into a love interest if there's nothing interesting about him? Why does Diana have to be with Steve?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I ask once again, why do writers have to invest time into a love interest if there's nothing interesting about him? Why does Diana have to be with Steve?
    A character is only as interesting as the writer makes them. Steve is boring if the writers make him boring just as with Diana is a warrior if they make her into a warrior. Steve is Dianas, Lois. That's why even after a decade of being ignored he continues to pop up here and there.

Clark and Lois are interesting because conceptually they make sense. So regardless of execution it's always going to be a good pairing.

I have nothing against Steve Trevor and I myself have a particular idea for what I would like to do with him, but it seems to me like we are way past this romance and I don't understand why people don't want Diana to have a relationship with someone that is completely different and just as fascinating and unique as Diana.

I'm with you on this Steve is pretty boring, I'll admit I haven't read every story he's been in but he doesn't excite me at all. Especially as a love interest to WW, I'd rather see her pursue someone else.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Snyder does seem like the kind of person to have nuance fly over his head. Like how DKR is suppose to be a deconstruction on batman and how that era of comics were being "dark" in name without any of the afterthought or character development or something like that.
    It must be lost on Miller too because he constantly touts he "gave Batman his balls back."

What most people take as deconstruction-- if you look at the history of his work-- I think Frank took seriously. More and more, I am convinced Year One and Daredevil were flukes. Likewise, I think Snyder's ham-fisted approach is him playing it 100% straight and thinking himself a visionary. The primary difference between the two? I think Snyder feels a little sillier but also more honest. I genuinely don't know if Miller's even in on the joke. Even ASBAR feels meanspirited to laugh at sometimes because I start to wonder if the dude is even aware people only enjoy that book for the art or to marvel at his literary lunacy.

Hot take on Diana's love life: Steve is never going to be interesting if DC keeps trying to sell him to the traditional readerbase. There was a Street Fighter meme a while back based on one of Ryu's costumes where he's shirtless and rocking a beard where Twitter took to imbuing him with masculine traits/habits that they found attractive. It was mostly supportive ****. You want Steve to work? Look at those trends and craft his character into someone who builds up Diana and looks at her the way Lois looks at Superman. Trying to make him into a superspy so he's "cool, but not cooler than our spies we tell stories about" just makes him a low-rent King Faraday or something. If you just asked "who," then that only helps my point.

Steve isn't Lois. He shouldn't try to be. He's Wonder Woman's (usual) boyfriend. Build him into one that plays into her thematic elements of ushering in a world with masculinity sans toxicity, give him agency in something that can be used to push her core beats (I think making him someone who works with veterans suffering PTSD would work while keeping him semi-involved with military ops when necessary) and just give him something to do other than mope and whine she has no time for him.

Literally who finds that appealing in a character much less significant other? Every time Steve whines about Diana not having time for him you can just hear the book slamming shut somewhere in the world. That somewhere is my location because it's always the end of the line for me and I only come back after a time if the art was good enough.

We often hear the excuse of how male writers can't write romance because they can't write women but the biggest stumbling block in Diana's love life is male writers being unable to write a compelling man. What the actual fu--

Steve will only continue to be a problem until DC learns to hire writers over the idea of making a guy "worth" Diana. He just needs to be someone with traits that are appealing. There's no level of "soldier/spy/pilot" that ever gets on Diana's level so stop trying. Make his character what's attractive. I won't speak to the art because these characters are always drawn to be attractive so that's a wash.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-07-2021 at 11:25 PM.