Page 26 of 440 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Which is why I kind of have issues with the demi god origin or Perez. I'm curious do you guys think in most stories Diana should be older or younger? By that I mean should she be 18 years old or thousands of years old when she leaves Paradise Island?
    Hundreds at the very least. Wisdom comes from age, and that would be a unique aspect for her in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hundreds at the very least. Wisdom comes from age, and that would be a unique aspect for her in the DCU.
    It won't matter how old she is if she's never left the island before. Wisdom doesn't just come from age, it comes from experience as well.

Boisterously Confused

... I'm curious do you guys think in most stories Diana should be older or younger? By that I mean should she be 18 years old or thousands of years old when she leaves Paradise Island?
    Youngish, but not a teenager I think. She needs to be fresh enough for some wide-eyeness at the new world that she encounters to seem reasonable, and for some mother/daughter tension to resonate, but no one should be calling her "Wonder Girl."

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If she doesnt earn her power, it undermines the whole message of feminine power.
    It makes it less strong, but it does not necessarily undermine it. A lot depends on how the Amazons are presented as a group, how Diana's upbringing and time there is presented, and the framing of how she gains her superpowers..."Earning" can be done in lots of ways.
    I can buy that. I didn't mean to propose that her opening arc should be 12 issues of her developing one power after another. As long as the bulk of her abilities are something shown to emerge from her Amazonian training before she leaves the island, that's the main thing that I'm getting at. Women finding their own power is the core of this character (IMO).
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Which is why I kind of have issues with the demi god origin or Perez. I'm curious do you guys think in most stories Diana should be older or younger? By that I mean should she be 18 years old or thousands of years old when she leaves Paradise Island?
    18 It's hard to be hip, cool, or happening when you're a few hundred years old. With age comes irrelevance and invisibility, we live in a young person's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    18 It's hard to be hip, cool, or happening when you're a few hundred years old. With age comes irrelevance and invisibility, we live in a young person's world.
    Iron Man, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and Black Panther are among the most popular superheroes in the world. Neither is younger than 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It won't matter how old she is if she's never left the island before. Wisdom doesn't just come from age, it comes from experience as well.
    It does, but it also comes from learning (i.e. how monasteries and temples are all fonts of wisdom even though the monks and scholars who live there don't go anywhere )

I also like the idea that Diana has left the island before and has made less splashy appearances throughout history.

BANNED

I like Daina's one sided love for Batman in JL-JLU animated series. She should beg for some papa Bruce in the comics as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I like Daina's one sided love for Batman in JL-JLU animated series. She should beg for some papa Bruce in the comics as well...
    What purpose does this serve other than sate the ego of Batfans who are already catered to?

Boisterously Confused

First: what you describe is a terrible WW idea, that hacks at the roots of the whole point of the character.

Second: you are not remembering correctly. It was not one sided, Bats was working overtime at being cool, while WW was simply herself. In evidence i offer his actions to save Diana in "This Little Piggy" and his complete freakout when he thought her dead in P2 of "The Brave And The Bold," as well as his reaction to the cover kiss in "Starcrossed."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ugh, no.
    If not Steve, better Artemis or Io.

I'm curious should the Holliday girls be a thing? I always saw them has yes regular girls but due to living in GAteway city they explored the many parts of the city. When meeting Diana they learn from her and she learns from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Iron Man, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and Black Panther are among the most popular superheroes in the world. Neither is younger than 20.
    Here's the thing, if she's hundreds of years old she'd been on the island several lifetimes before Steve crashed on it. What was she doing all that time? It closes off hundreds of years of backstory and it's a shame she'd have to wait so long before her real life as a hero/ambassador began.

Here's the thing, if she's hundreds of years old she'd been on the island several lifetimes before Steve crashed on it. What was she doing all that time? It closes off hundreds of years of backstory and it's a shame she'd have to wait so long before her real life as a hero/ambassador began.
    What she's doing on the island is irrelevant. It's what she does when she leaves that is important.

To be clear, I don't necessarily want her to be 100 of years old but she doesn't need to be 18 either. It isn't lime her being 18 doesn't close off stpry ideas either.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    First: what you describe is a terrible WW idea, that hacks at the roots of the whole point of the character.

Second: you are not remembering correctly. It was not one sided, Bats was working overtime at being cool, while WW was simply herself. In evidence i offer his actions to save Diana in "This Little Piggy" and his complete freakout when he thought her dead in P2 of "The Brave And The Bold," as well as his reaction to the cover kiss in "Starcrossed."
    In a Batman Beyond episode, Bruce is seen looking at images of women he's been in relationships with. Diana isn't amongst them.

Calling it one sided may not be accurate but it clearly meant more tp her than him.

One solution is that she is doing the same stuff as the rest of the Amazons during that time.

Another solution is that time runs differently on Themyscira (probably due to whatever shielding effect is around the island). Diana might have been born 3,000 or more years ago "our" time, but subjective time on Themyscira has only passed 20–30 years.

Both solutions can be made to work if the writer is able to do fill in the background, and both can work as a framework for lots of stories.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])