Page 267 of 440 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277317367 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 6592

If DC wanted Diana to have a father, it should have just been some no name mortal who Hippolyta had a relationship with before Themyscira sealed itself off. Zeus was and remains the worst option.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-01-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If DC wanted Diana to have a father, it should have just been some no name mortal who Hippolyta had a relationship with before Themyscira sealed itself off. Zeus was and remains the worst option.
    Yeah for me it goes

1. clay birth
    2. some mortal man, like Silver Age Prince Theno.
    3. Heracles, with certain caveats.

But they skipped right over all of those and went with Zeus because she just had to be a demigod. As if super powered Amazon is so difficult to wrap the head around...

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

1. Clay origin, blessed by the Goddesses
    2. Clay origin, sculpted by Hipp/Zeus or Hades
    3. If she gotta have a blood father...at least let it be one that Hippolyta can have an actual relationship with or whose been dead for centuries. If she and Zeus were in love and they have Diana....why isnt he around at all after that? Just goes back to the usual status quo of the two never seeing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There New 52 affair was not rape. Azzarello said Diana was conceived "in love," but I don't view it as love either. At least not on Zeus's end. But Zeus attempting to take Diana by force in the Perez run makes this all the more awkward.

Kind of feel bad for Heracles being cast as overly villainous because of this. IF we had to have a father for Diana from Greek myth (I'd rather they skip it entirely though and stick with the clay birth), on paper he makes more sense than Zeus since he's already tied to the origin and Hippolyta is known from the myths of his 12 labors. But with Perez having him rape Hippolyta, and Morrison heavily implying that Hercules at least had plans to do something similar before Hippolyta killed him (along with the bizarre and uncomfortable way she used his seed to create Diana), that well has been poisoned at this point. Which would be fine if they didn't' feel it was ok to use friggin Zeus instead, and for all his faults in the Greek myths, I don't think Herc was known for being a sex creep like his father and Poseidon.
    That one page flashback of their “get together” was definitely more lust than love, lol.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

1. Clay origin.
    2. See option 1.
    3. Seriously, see option 1.

She doesn't need a father. She flies has a rope that forces people to tell the truth. Half the planet believes in a virgin birth so I strongly doubt that Diana not having a daddy is a problem.

I can't see how Dc needs she needs to be relatable to have a dad. There are many women who hope to get pregnant anyway that can. Not only that but this isn't out of the norm in Greek myths for a woman to get pregnant. Hera got pregnant just out of angry.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I can't see how Dc needs she needs to be relatable to have a dad. There are many women who hope to get pregnant anyway that can. Not only that but this isn't out of the norm in Greek myths for a woman to get pregnant. Hera got pregnant just out of angry.
    The men at the top cant relate to her so they need to force a father on her.

I always saw Hippolyta/Diana as an allegory for a single mother and daughter relationship. Even as a dude I find it vaguely insulting that they think we can't like a character or relate to a character who doesn't have a father figure.

In Perez's Gods & Mortals, Diana's infant soul was in the 'Well of Souls' so she technically did have a father, he just wasn't relevant to the story. It's clear that the lack of a father figure is so that, story wise, the father doesn't take away from the Amazons and Hippolyta. Diana is 100% a product of an all female society.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I always saw Hippolyta/Diana as an allegory for a single mother and daughter relationship. Even as a dude I find it vaguely insulting that they think we can't like a character or relate to a character who doesn't have a father figure.
    As a dude, I find it insulting whole-cloth. It's goddamn bullshit.

I never got the impression they made Zeus her father to make her more relatable, but to add a “cool” factor to the character they felt was lacking. Considering the Nu52 was all about pulling that stuff, I think that’s where they were coming from with it.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I never got the impression they made Zeus her father to make her more relatable, but to add a “cool” factor to the character they felt was lacking. Considering the Nu52 was all about pulling that stuff, I think that’s where they were coming from with it.
    I think they wanted an easy explanation for her powers "daughter of zeus" and to put her on more equal footing with the gods. Before it was always in question what would happen if the gods that bequeathed her powers were to suddenly decide to revoke them. I guess they didn't realize she was already perceived as being greater than the gods by most fans after kicking their asses so many times. But yeah, it's trite, sexist, drivel that should be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I think they wanted an easy explanation for her powers "daughter of zeus" and to put her on more equal footing with the gods. Before it was always in question what would happen if the gods that bequeathed her powers were to suddenly decide to revoke them. I guess they didn't realize she was already perceived as being greater than the gods by most fans after kicking their asses so many times. But yeah, it's trite, sexist, drivel that should be reversed.
    The fact that she had a body constructed from Gaea should have made her more powerful than any of the Greek Gods since Gaea is their progenitor and Diana is a "direct descendant" of sorts, and on top of that had various blessings of the gods. But that would require DC putting two braincells together on their part.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-02-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    The fact that she had a body constructed from Gaea should have made her more powerful than any of the Greek Gods since Gaea is their progenitor
    ❤️
    Thank you!!
    DC Comics should have used Gaea as the perfect explanation to make Diana the strongest of the strong. A "daughter" of the earth itself should be as strong and as tough as the planet itself, and then you add all the other rest of the goddesses’ gifts and you have a pretty untouchable superhero. But nah... it's better to make her Daddy's girl and second best to Supes. 🙄

This got explored with Cassie. She was at one person granted powers by Zeus.... then lost them when he wasn't able to keep giving them. Then Ares stepped up... and later betrayed her by transferring those powers to Lycus who tried to kill her. Both times it was like a Kryptonian being exposed to Red Sunlight. She'd become drastically weaker, fully mortal, or shift between the two.

I never liked the revoking thing. Once you gift someone with them it should be become of part of who they are. Its like in the OG WW animated movie where they had to come up with special bands that took Ares powers away as long as he worn them. Should have to do the same for anyone gifted powers by the Gods.