Page 268 of 440 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318368 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 6592

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    1. Clay origin.
    2. See option 1.
    3. Seriously, see option 1.

She doesn't need a father. She flies has a rope that forces people to tell the truth. Half the planet believes in a virgin birth so I strongly doubt that Diana not having a daddy is a problem.
    This. By miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There New 52 affair was not rape. Azzarello said Diana was conceived "in love," but I don't view it as love either. At least not on Zeus's end. But Zeus attempting to take Diana by force in the Perez run makes this all the more awkward.

Kind of feel bad for Heracles being cast as overly villainous because of this. IF we had to have a father for Diana from Greek myth (I'd rather they skip it entirely though and stick with the clay birth), on paper he makes more sense than Zeus since he's already tied to the origin and Hippolyta is known from the myths of his 12 labors. But with Perez having him rape Hippolyta, and Morrison heavily implying that Hercules at least had plans to do something similar before Hippolyta killed him (along with the bizarre and uncomfortable way she used his seed to create Diana), that well has been poisoned at this point. Which would be fine if they didn't' feel it was ok to use friggin Zeus instead, and for all his faults in the Greek myths, I don't think Herc was known for being a sex creep like his father and Poseidon.
    Not a sex creep, but not really out of the possibility either, Hercs done some "bad" stuff. His actions in Perez's run aren't out of his MO imo. I remember asking someone about his misdeeds.

1) Killed his music teacher Lindos after Lindos struck him for being a poor pupil
    2) Cut off the noses and ears of Erginos' heralds
    3) Fed Diomedes to his man-eating horses
    4) Killed an Amazon queen and with Theseus abducted an Amazon for later ransom (see later)
    5) Killed the Moliones at the Isthmian Games as revenge for having defeated his army when he was ill
    6) Raped the priestess Auge during a festival of Athena after drinking too much wine
    7) Killed Iphitos for not handing over his daughter Iole as promised (despite being married to Deianeira at the time)
    8) Enslaves the inhabitants of Omphale
    9) Slew Syleus' daughter Xenodike and burned his vineyard

There are other possible misdeeds, of course - I'm not sure that all 49-50 daughters of Thespios consented that night, for example, but you never know.

As for murdering his wife and children (and possibly his brother Iphicles' children), we have the flipside. Herakles' murdering of his children is attested to as early as the Kypria (8th/7th century), and it's put down to madness. However, it's not until Euripides (5th century) that not only is Hera the cause of the madness, but Herakles killed his wife Megara as well.

Now all you have to do is decide whom to believe ;-)
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Clay origin all the way for me, too. And honestly, if she absolutely MUST have a father for some god forsaken reason, I really can't think of any one that wouldn't bother me on some level.

If anything, and I agree, they should emphasize Diana's link to Gaia. Gaia trumps the gods and it would be thematically appropriate if Diana's power comes from the Earth herself.
    She doesn't need a dad. She has two moms.

Yep. Along with Nubia....

Sculpted from the clay of Gaia on the beaches of Paradise Island and brought to life by the breath of the Gods.

I thought the Olympians in the myths are supposed to be more powerful than their predecessors. That's hoe they defeated the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Not a sex creep, but not really out of the possibility either, Hercs done some "bad" stuff. His actions in Perez's run aren't out of his MO imo. I remember asking someone about his misdeeds.

1) Killed his music teacher Lindos after Lindos struck him for being a poor pupil
    2) Cut off the noses and ears of Erginos' heralds
    3) Fed Diomedes to his man-eating horses
    4) Killed an Amazon queen and with Theseus abducted an Amazon for later ransom (see later)
    5) Killed the Moliones at the Isthmian Games as revenge for having defeated his army when he was ill
    6) Raped the priestess Auge during a festival of Athena after drinking too much wine
    7) Killed Iphitos for not handing over his daughter Iole as promised (despite being married to Deianeira at the time)
    8) Enslaves the inhabitants of Omphale
    9) Slew Syleus' daughter Xenodike and burned his vineyard

There are other possible misdeeds, of course - I'm not sure that all 49-50 daughters of Thespios consented that night, for example, but you never know.

As for murdering his wife and children (and possibly his brother Iphicles' children), we have the flipside. Herakles' murdering of his children is attested to as early as the Kypria (8th/7th century), and it's put down to madness. However, it's not until Euripides (5th century) that not only is Hera the cause of the madness, but Herakles killed his wife Megara as well.

Now all you have to do is decide whom to believe ;-)
    I vaguely recall a telling of the Odyssey where Hercules tried to kill some of the others. They apparently sailed without him after stopping to pick up supplies. which made him murderously angry. I mean there was like 90 people listed as Argonauts though. I do see mention of the abandonment on wikipedia, but not anything about him being murderously angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I thought the Olympians in the myths are supposed to be more powerful than their predecessors. That's hoe they defeated the Titans.
    Nah, I'd say the Titans had the raw power, but not the creativity/cunning.

Gaea is not a Titan, she is a primordial deity born from Chaos. She doesn't control the Earth (like how Poseidon controls the sea or Zeus the sky), she is the Earth. She's in a league of her own.

But yes, the Gods are stronger than the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Gaea is not a Titan, she is a primordial deity born from Chaos. She doesn't control the Earth (like how Poseidon controls the sea or Zeus the sky), she is the Earth. She's in a league of her own.

But yes, the Gods are stronger than the Titans.
    In DC you could take Gaia even further imo, she's not just earth but the mother of creation and life.

The Gods are actually weaker the the Titans. The reason they won was because of pack made between the Gods, Hecitoceries, Cyclopes, and a few Titans that switched sides. Greek myth is low key about how every generation is weaker the the last but use their wits/smarts to win.

Chaos >> Primordials >> Titans >> Gods >(I'd place Diana and Nubia here)> Demigods >>>>>> mortals

In DC you could take Gaia even further imo, she's not just earth but the mother of creation and life.

The Gods are actually weaker the the Titans. The reason they won was because of pack made between the Gods, Hecitoceries, Cyclopes, and a few Titans that switched sides. Greek myth is low key about how every generation is weaker the the last but use their wits/smarts to win.

Chaos >> Primordials >> Titans >> Gods >(I'd place Diana and Nubia here)> Demigods >>>>>> mortals
    Only 6 Gods battled the 12 Titans at that time (or 9 vs 9 because both sides had help and the details on the war were murky as heck ), and it was a stalemate before Zeus brought in the aid of the Hecatoncheires and Cyclopes to gift the gods their weapons and aid them in battle.

One of those gifts was the lighting bolt, so Zeus wasn't even blasting lighting yet and the Titans still couldn't push him back.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-03-2021 at 02:45 PM.

No, in the myths their forebears are more powerful (Perez used this at the conclusion to War of the Gods). The Olympians won the Titanomache but it was through cunning and getting one of the Titans to turn.

Spectacular Member

Zeus daddy origin is cool doesn't bother me. Alot of ppl don't even know her classic origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Zeus daddy origin is cool doesn't bother me. Alot of ppl don't even know her classic origin.
    You could honestly attribute the second part to lack of real media exposure until now and DC in general trying to strip away a lot of the originality from her character to make her more "marketable" to a lot of people. Most people don't know because DC never really showed and never trusted the source material to give it a fair chance.

You could honestly attribute the second part to lack of real media exposure until now and DC in general trying to strip away a lot of the originality from her character to make her more "marketable" to a lot of people. Most people don't know because DC never really showed and never trusted the source material to give it a fair chance.
    Yeah, was gonna the same thing. Can't exactly defend the Zeus origin on the basis no one knows her clay origin when the biggest WW stuff in the past few years either doesn't use it (the movie) or only alludes to it here and there (DCAU).

Not like everyone would know Superman's origin if hadn't had all those of decades of prominent projects in multiple mediums.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    That's kind of a sore spot for WW fandom

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There New 52 affair was not rape
    Perhaps not, but then what about the rape at the hands of Herakles?