Page 29 of 440 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Ways to solve Diana being a lone child on the island:

1. Diana is the only child on the island, with thousands of aunts. Deal with it, Pérez did
    2. Amazons later were taught to sculpt new children from clay. I think Marston introduced this
    3. Some or several Amazons were with child upon arrival at Themyscira. Diana thus had older sisters
    4. Sex pirates. Just lets not go there

Ways to solve Diana's age:

1. Diana is 3,000 years old upon arrival in Man's World. Deal with it
    2. Time goes differently due to the magical nature around Themyscira, so Diana is whatever the desired age is
    3. The gods only instructed Hippolyta on how to create Diana a short time ago. This was Pérez's solution
    4. Sex piracy every 30 years. Just lets not go there
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Perez disagreed with it, Rucka disagreed with it. I'll never understand your fascination with Wonder Woman being an old lady. It's a moot point anyway Willow already made her hundreds of years old retroactively if you were paying attention. It's so banal and clichéd.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Perez disagreed with it, Rucka disagreed with it. I'll never understand your fascination with Wonder Woman being an old lady. It's a moot point anyway Willow already made her hundreds of years old retroactively if you were paying attention. It's so banal and clichéd.
    In the context out the DCU, how is it cliche? I love the idea that Diana had hundreds, if not thousands of years to study and learn about the world, about languages, philosophy, history, politics, the whole works. It banishes the *worst* cliche that writers keep saddling Diana with; the fish out of water (i.e. 'what's a turnstile?')

Also, there is the issue of 'did she give up immortality' when she left the island? To me, if she had lived beyond a normal lifespan, then she would know in actuality (as opposed to in theory) what she was losing, which makes it more 'real' as it were.

I find an immortal who is already versed in the languages and cultures of the world trying to apply that understanding once she experiences it to be a lot better of an idea than the the naive, sheltered girl going out into the big, new world for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    In the context out the DCU, how is it cliche? I love the idea that Diana had hundreds, if not thousands of years to study and learn about the world, about languages, philosophy, history, politics, the whole works. It banishes the *worst* cliche that writers keep saddling Diana with; the fish out of water (i.e. 'what's a turnstile?')

Also, there is the issue of 'did she give up immortality' when she left the island? To me, if she had lived beyond a normal lifespan, then she would know in actuality (as opposed to in theory) what she was losing, which makes it more 'real' as it were.

I find an immortal who is already versed in the languages and cultures of the world trying to apply that understanding once she experiences it to be a lot better of an idea than the the naive, sheltered girl going out into the big, new world for the first time.
    My problem is none of that sounds fun or relatable. I can't picture your version opening a mod clothing boutique, or working at Taco Wiz, or listening to heavy metal music, or enjoying clubbing. It sounds like the preachy, toga wearing, speech maker, looking down her nose at modern society and wanting to change everything her way. What's worse is when it comes to gender politics she doesn't really know what she's talking about. She hasn't personally experienced men, just their history by studying them and their ways for hundreds of years from a Utopian society without them. That's a long time to become biased..instead of the idealistic, extremely curious, adventure loving hero that wants to stop war with love.

I don't want a Studebaker when I could have a Tesla.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-15-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Leave real life politics out of it, please

My problem is none of that sounds fun or relatable. I can't picture your version opening a mod clothing boutique, or working at Taco Wiz, or listening to heavy metal music, or enjoying clubbing. It sounds like the preachy, toga wearing, speech maker, looking down her nose at modern society and wanting to change everything her way. What's worse is when it comes to gender politics she doesn't really know what she's talking about. She hasn't personally experienced men, just a their history by studying them and their ways for hundreds of years from a Utopian society without them. That's a long time to become biased..instead of the idealistic, extremely curious, adventure loving hero that wants to stop war with love.
    Just because she is hundreds of years old and coming to man's world to learn first hand and to teach, that does not automatically mean 'preachy' or unrelatable. I can easily picture the aged version wanting to experience things in man's world, including clothing, food, culture, etc. I do not, for a minute, see a 'toga wearing speech maker'.

Assuming she would be biased assumes that she is incapable of making up her own mind, which is generally a part of why Diana is different. It also assumes that the Amazons all hate men, which they don't, or that Diana would only get one POV, which she wouldn't.

I have no problems imagining Diana finally getting the opportunity to go out and experience the world and being excited, curious, idealistic and adventure loving.

The toga wearing speech maker is more fandom head canon than anything that actually happened in the comics. It's really just an annoying oversimplification of how Diana was actually written.

My problem is none of that sounds fun or relatable. I can't picture your version opening a mod clothing boutique, or working at Taco Wiz, or listening to heavy metal music, or enjoying clubbing. It sounds like the preachy, toga wearing, speech maker, looking down her nose at modern society and wanting to change everything her way. What's worse is when it comes to gender politics she doesn't really know what she's talking about. She hasn't personally experienced men, just a their history by studying them and their ways for hundreds of years from a Utopian society without them. That's a long time to become biased..instead of the idealistic, extremely curious, adventure loving hero that wants to stop war with love.
    It seems to me you're basing how relatable or interesting Diana is on whether or not she shares your interests. Just because she's not going to do any of those things doesn't mean she won't be relatable or interesting to someone else.

Could it be possible even without Diana Prince id. That Diana could open her own business?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Could it be possible even without Diana Prince id. That Diana could open her own business?
    Example?
    I mean, I can't see her opening up the next Amazon.com Though she did help Gay Frolick open up the Joy Clinics back in the golden age.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How are those two better archenemy?
    If you look at Wonder Woman, as a freedom-loving Amazon, first and foremost, her natural enemies are villains, who threaten freedom and seek domination over others.

Grail, being an Amazon, whose sole purpose for existence is the murder of free will, all across the universe, grows out of the Amazon narrative. The problem with Grail is that NO-body ever uses her purpose as a motivation for her. Combine her with Veronica Cale, a mortal, who also wants to control everybody, and you have a natural enemy for Diana.

Maybe, Wonder Woman has no natural enemy.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The toga wearing speech maker is more fandom head canon than anything that actually happened in the comics. It's really just an annoying oversimplification of how Diana was actually written.
    I think you may be oversimplifying how often she appeared in a toga and made speeches, it wasn't my imagination.

WW SPEECH.jpg

I think you may be oversimplifying how often she appeared in a toga and made speeches, it wasn't my imagination.

WW SPEECH.jpg
    One image doesn't prove it happened all that often.

It seems to me you're basing how relatable or interesting Diana is on whether or not she shares your interests. Just because she's not going to do any of those things doesn't mean she won't be relatable or interesting to someone else.
    No, I don't want her to share my interests. She doesn't have to watch Bravo and eat Chipolte with her hair in a ponytail while wearing yoga pants. I'd just like her to behave like a normal modern person that owns a cellphone, owns a car she likes, has a social media presence, is aware of pop culture references and has a hobby other than crime fighting and pontificating.

One image doesn't prove it happened all that often.
    But it did, especially during Phil Jimenez's run (which I otherwise loved).

WW SPEECH 2.jpg

But it did, especially during Phil Jimenez's run (which I otherwise loved).

WW SPEECH 2.jpg
    That image isn't even from Jiminez. It's from Paul Dini's Spirit of Truth (which basically flanderized Diana into what you're afraid of her turning into).