Page 299 of 440 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349399 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 6592

The DCEU is a damaged brand, they have to start over again in a couple of years, if they want to build a Universe a la Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Gal Gadot’s also said she wants to do a movie with Harley Quinn at the first DC FanDome.

I honestly want them to be separated we already have the new dc animated universe

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    A two minute short film of Diana curb-stomping Harley and then tossing her in jail, right?

Right?
    I think you’re gonna need that wishing stone Gaius.

(Don’t listen to Wonder Woman this time, this wish is worth any price)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Hey I been thinking. What men in Dc would be honorable Amazons? I feel like Steve could be in a sense a leader of who can enter in the Island. I can see Clark and Dick also

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think you’re gonna need that wishing stone Gaius.

(Don’t listen to Wonder Woman this time, this wish is worth any price)

Incredible Member

We do not need two Marvel's. One is bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Hey I been thinking. What men in Dc would be honorable Amazons? I feel like Steve could be in a sense a leader of who can enter in the Island. I can see Clark and Dick also
    Tim Drake? Kyle Rayner? Martian Manhunter? Jason Todd (well maybe a Bana amazon)? Dead Man?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, yes and no. Superman has the Fortress of Solitude, which is a massive structure he could live in as his private mansion if he actually wanted to. His powers give him massive resources that, even if not technically money have enormous value.
    That's kind of the point I was making. He doesn't live there but anyone who wants to be pedantic can find something to argue for why these characters are privileged, don't know how to be people, etc.

Clark. Diana. Bruce. There's always some pedantic point to argue.

Clark definitively chooses to live in Metropolis and generally doesn't do anything with his powers or resources to live lavishly. He usually gets by on what he's paid.

This isn't a Superman thread so I'll stop there, but it works as an ur example.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't want any amazon half naked men...

Ok Siggy and Tom Tresser :P

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    We do not need two Marvel's. One is bad enough.
    But they do want and have wet dreams about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They usually do find their way back in, but in the form of overcorrecting rebuttals. You'll have stories so focused on making Clark one of the common folk, you get "Truth" in the New 52 which outed and depowered him while making him a social crusader.... Instead of just making him a social crusader. It looks at his powers as the problem instead of just humanizing the character that people already love.

Essentially, to sell Diana and Clark to people who don't already like them, they change them into someone they may like but existing fans don't. It's how you get Azzarello's Wonder Woman run. This ends up being volatile and changing back which scares away the readers you gained while only getting a percentage of the ones you originally lost back. It's full-on mismanagement, and when you compound that over several decades, you get 30k-if-you're-lucky sales per issue on characters beloved the entire world over.

I'm generalizing, there's more to the issue, but this is the vicious cycle of writing to address complaints or trying to court antithetical arguments instead of redoubling and better executing the character's core themes and, well, character.

The Batman page Gaius posted is possibly one of the best examples of doubling down on Batman's core themes and executing it well. Year One is possibly the best Batman story ever told. Certainly the best Miller ever penned (perhaps I should post that again in Batman controversial opinions as I do every year. Hah).

That isn't to say stuff like the excellent Batman the Brave and the Bold cartoon are wrong, but it's decidedly an adaption that works in tandem with the baseline instead of, well, the baseline.

If Azz's WW was coming out as an Elseworlds while the current run was being released, you'd see a lot less backlash.
    Jumping in to say gratitude to you and Gaius and Agent Z for your thoughts on this. At risk of derailing into Batman and Superman discussions I'll leave it at that

Your point about Azzarello really resonates, and I think sometimes its clear when a writer comes in with a vision of Diana that isn't about the character, but a rebuttal to accusations or criticisms about the character. The line is super subtle but I think its there, and I wonder if we polled the writers how they'd report back on that.

I remember noticing this with Jill Thompson's graphic novel which, while beautiful to look at, seemed to have at its heart an accusation of "she's too perfect, I have to invent a flaw for her to resonate", rather than going in celebrating who Diana is.

A two minute short film of Diana curb-stomping Harley and then tossing her in jail, right?

Right?
    You crazy? We all know that Harley can defeat (with just her bat!!!) an ancient all-powerful hip-gyrating sorceress. And she also knows exactly how to destroy (with just a loaned javelin) intergalactic, mind-controlling star-shaped kaijus!!! I am sure an Olympus-powered amazing amazon will be no match for the clown princess of crime!!!!!!

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

When she isn't Wonder Woman, Diana should be someone who swears and drinks a lot and loves a good time.

Not saying she should be a drunk or uncivilized, but she grew up with the Amazons, who I definitely picture as being very open and free spoken, which had made her much the same whenever she gets the chance to just be herself.

Would love to see the league joking a out how Diana is the best drinker and has a tongue that would make a Guy Gardner blush.

If Diana did use profanities it wouldn't be modern ones.