Page 308 of 440 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318358408 ... LastLast
Results 4,606 to 4,620 of 6592

Yeah, in Johns's case, it's more like: "I love all DC, but maybe not so much Wonder Woman."

Took the guy over twelve years just to write her "not terrible." I don't know what made him think he should be one of the screenwriters of one of her movies. Crikey.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I meant that Johns doesn't really care for Batman that much, not that he really cares about the WW stuff either
    Does he care about Superman?

Johns always seemed to have a love for characters tipping towards the “B” end of the spectrum. Aquaman, Green Lantern, JSA all seem like his jam (and he made them all big moneymakers on the comic side…)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

Johns always seemed to have a love for characters tipping towards the “B” end of the spectrum. Aquaman, Green Lantern, JSA all seem like his jam (and he made them all big moneymakers on the comic side…)
    He's done a few Superman projects though I think his like of the character is filtered through the Chris Reeves films. Which makes sense as he got his break working under Richard Donner. I always thought he was a decent Supes writer though those who've read Superman more can probably speak better on that than me.

I think his preferences and writing talents better suited to those "A minus"/B plus" DC characters (Flash, GL, Aquaman, the Hawks, JSA, Captain Marvel, etc).

I don't think he's ever written a project about Supes, Bats, or WW that was well-regarded as his work on the aforementioned. I know he ruffled a lot of Bat-fans feathers with how he wrote Bruce in GL: Rebirth and I think I'm one of the few people who actually really likes the Batman: Earth One books (at least the first two volumes). And was brought up earlier, he had a pretty bad characterization of WW up until he did 180 around the time of Darkseid War.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    He's done a few Superman projects though I think his like of the character is filtered through the Chris Reeves films. Which makes sense as he got his break working under Richard Donner. I always thought he was a decent Supes writer though those who've read Superman more can probably speak better on that than me.

I think his preferences and writing talents better suited to those "A minus"/B plus" DC characters (Flash, GL, Aquaman, the Hawks, JSA, Captain Marvel, etc).

I don't think he's ever written a project about Supes, Bats, or WW that was well-regarded as his work on the aforementioned. I know he ruffled a lot of Bat-fans feathers with how he wrote Bruce in GL: Rebirth and I think I'm one of the few people who actually really likes the Batman: Earth One books (at least the first two volumes). And was brought up earlier, he had a pretty bad characterization of WW up until he did 180 around the time of Darkseid War.
    I think his Superman stuff usually ends up as "blandly competent." Secret Origin is only better than Byrne's MOS because it at least attempts to keep a lot of the pre-Crisis elements in continuity instead of chucking them, but is otherwise pretty soulless. I wouldn't say his Superman is as bad as his Batman or especially his Wonder Woman can be, but it's far from great. I think at best he may have some good ideas for the Trinity characters or their mythos (also some bad ones- Jason), but is often very underwhelming if not outright terrible when it comes to writing Clark, Bruce or Diana properly. The three characters are just way too nuanced to be boiled down to the "easily marketable" level he brings characters to.

It works far better with the Flash, GL and Aquaman, but even with the former two IPs he has misses to go along with his hits: helping to bring Barry back, at least the way that they did, causing damage to the Flash mythos and retconning a dead mother into things; and starting out as a good Hal writer before gradually ramping up his worse traits to the point of parody in New 52 JL, so now Morrison > Johns for me when it comes to Hal

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think his Superman stuff usually ends up as "blandly competent." Secret Origin is only better than Byrne's MOS because it at least attempts to keep a lot of the pre-Crisis elements in continuity instead of chucking them, but is otherwise pretty soulless. I wouldn't say his Superman is as bad as his Batman or especially his Wonder Woman can be, but it's far from great. I think at best he may have some good ideas for the Trinity characters or their mythos (also some bad ones- Jason), but is often very underwhelming if not outright terrible when it comes to writing Clark, Bruce or Diana properly. The three characters are just way too nuanced to be boiled down to the "easily marketable" level he brings characters to.

It works far better with the Flash, GL and Aquaman, but even with the former two IPs he has misses to go along with his hits: helping to bring Barry back, at least the way that they did, causing damage to the Flash mythos and retconning a dead mother into things; and starting out as a good Hal writer before gradually ramping up his worse traits to the point of parody in New 52 JL, so now Morrison > Johns for me when it comes to Hal
    Have pretty much come to this conclusion also (though in fairness Morrison's written a lot less Hal in compairson). Still shocked O'Neil had the better Hal story in the 80th Anniversary issue than Johns did.

Hmmm, forgot he had Hal calling “dibs” on Diana like Hollywoods version of a 14 year old…

Hmmm, forgot he had Hal calling “dibs” on Diana like Hollywoods version of a 14 year old…

You have no idea as someone whose a fan of Hal and Diana that this pains me that this probably the most notable interaction they've had with one another.

It could be time to change her outfit.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

You have no idea as someone whose a fan of Hal and Diana that this pains me that this probably the most notable interaction they've had with one another.
    I hear you, I'm feel the same way

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It is funny that Johns is responsible to bringing Hal back to A-list status yet did him next to no favors in New52 JL.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It is funny that Johns is responsible to bringing Hal back to A-list status yet did him next to no favors in New52 JL.
    Yeah, didn't he basically write him off and introduce Simon Baz and then immediately undercut his creation with his better creation: Jessica Cruz?

I prefer the idea that Cheetah is just a woman dressed like a cheetah.

Never read many Hal Jordan Green Lantern books, so almost everything I know about his character comes from GL: The Animated Series (which was my favorite show when it was airing) and New 52 Justice League, which was my first ever introduced to the character and had him saying **** like that.

So I’ve always had conflicted feelings on Hal. (Thanks DC)

Edit: Actually I forgot my first introduction to Hal was the live-action Movie. Which I didn’t hate nearly as much as everyone else but also didn’t help my confusing feelings on Hal, lol.

When DC told Johns to make the JL “younger”, it feels like he went for “frat boys but Bruce is the chaperone”.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-28-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Why, unlike my other Hal fans, I'm not interested in seeing Hal back on the JL much of anytime soon because how the trend of JL stories to write the characters at their most bare-bones autopilot self. Diana = Warrior Woman, Hal = Horny idiot who couldn't tie his own shoelaces.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It could be time to change her outfit.
    Yeah, but change it back the Sharp costume I say.