Page 310 of 440 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360410 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 6591

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Gonna piggy back off a recent thread and say that Diana is so, so monumentally lucky right now that she hasn't been saddled with a canon kid.
    I agree, like I said there I think it'd be only done for the sake of copying Superman and Batman. Which isn't the best creative basis imo.

I would have liked to see Rucka's Diana's Daughter have happened though the appeal to me of that was it was out of continuity. Though I guess to lead into another opinion, as much as I was looking forward to that and Historia, I was a bit disappointed the two WW BL projects weren't centered around Diana. There was Dead Earth eventually but that book nuked itself for me in the last two issues.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Gonna piggy back off a recent thread and say that Diana is so, so monumentally lucky right now that she hasn't been saddled with a canon kid.
    Oh man, you're going to hate the Wonder Woman Mother's Day 80-Page Giant next year and it's 63 variants.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like this got way worse post-Crisis and currently.

The characters always got dialed down for the big team book compared to their solo titles, but IDK the Satellite Era seemed to treat everyone right and gave them all moments to shine despite having a big cast. It's why I never got the mentality of "it's ok that her founding status in the JL got wiped out by COIE, it never did her any favors anyway and makes no difference." I always think it's people mistaking her time as the JSA secretary and all the underwhelming modern JL stories as the norm for Silver/Bronze age in general. Where there were of course missteps and dud stories, but overall I think she may have been treated better in JL than her own book in that period
    Also her role as "secretary" actually meant she was in a leadership position on the team. People keep talking like it made her a servant, but that's really not what it was.

Retired

I see Diana being the secretary in the J.S.A. as a compromise to give everyone something that they wanted. After seeing how she was used in ALL-STAR COMICS, Moulton Marston didn't want them to use her anymore. And, the bylaws of the Society meant that she should only be an honourary member like Flash and Green Lantern (also Superman and Batman), who had their own books. Having won her own title, Wonder Woman should have left. By making her the secretary, ALL-STAR was able to use that as a loophole for her to appear in the book, but not so much that it would upset Marston.

Clearly they wanted to have Wonder Woman in the book--maybe because she was so popular or maybe because the J.S.A. was a sausage party without her. Since Diana Prince (note that she signs all the documents for the Society) is a secretary for the War Department, she probably served as the liason officer between Washington and the Justice Battalion. So in this case the meaning of secretary would be one who has high ranking logistical responsibilities.

I’ve warmed up to what Morrison was going for in the EO books even it’s not really my cup of tea but one aspect I’ve actually gone the reverse on from where I started is I actually really do not like Yanick Paquette’s art on the series.

Giving her a child is not going to be any worse than anything else they've done with the character in the past several decades.

But what about the amazons. Should they have kids or at least adopted kids?

Despite being immortal having a child instantly ages Diana. The added responsibility changes the tone and tenor of her stories. The child has to be protected, nurtured and considered while she's out saving the world. She becomes Wonder Mom, her child eventually takes over her legacy (as well as her plotlines) and she's sent out to pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Despite being immortal having a child instantly ages Diana. The added responsibility changes the tone and tenor of her stories. The child has to be protected, nurtured and considered while she's out saving the world. She becomes Wonder Mom, her child eventually takes over her legacy (as well as her plotlines) and she's sent out to pasture.
    Susan and Reed have been parents since the 60's and they're not going anywhere. Has any hero been replaced by their child without coming back almost imminently?

Plus, I think Diana not being a book titled "Wonder Woman" violates the contract DC has with the Marston estate, so what are people worrying about? If they could send Diana "out to pasture" they would have done it in the 60's and 70's when her books weren't selling and no one at DC wanted to write her.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-02-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Susan and Reed have been parents since the 60's and they're not going anywhere. Has any hero been replaced by their child without coming back almost imminently?

Plus, I think Diana not being a book titled "Wonder Woman" violates the contract DC has with the Marston estate, so what are people worrying about? If they could send Diana "out to pasture" they would have done it in the 60's and 70's when her books weren't selling and no one at DC wanted to write her.
    I mainly think it’d end up either a Jason situation where they’d take over the book or Donna/Cassie where they end up having little to no presence in WW’s world.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

Sue Richards is exactly what I'm talking about. She's only had one limited series in her entire history. She's literally the Mother figure of the Marvel Universe and arguably Franklin and Valeria are more interesting than her.

When I said "sent out to pasture" I didn't mean permanently off the table, I meant like how Superman and the Authority are being sent off into space so Jon can have the spotlight on earth.

Motherhood is beautiful, it's a natural progression of life. As nurturing as Diana is she'd be great at it and I want it for her eventually, just not anytime soon.

Sue Richards is exactly what I'm talking about. She's only had one limited series in her entire history. She's literally the Mother figure of the Marvel Universe and arguably Franklin and Valeria are more interesting than her.
    The only other Fan 4 character to have a mini was The Thing (Edit: actually nm John's had a couple) , and I don't really find anyone on the team to be more interesting than the other.

And isn't Diana often describes as a nurturing maternal figure despite not being a parent, anyway?

When I said "sent out to pasture" I didn't mean permanently off the table, I meant like how Superman and the Authority are being sent off into space so Jon can have the spotlight on earth.

Motherhood is beautiful, it's a natural progression of life. As nurturing as Diana is she'd be great at it and I want that for her eventually, just not anytime soon.
    You mean like, exactly what they've been doing with Diana and Yara the past 7 issues of Wonder Woman?

Superman is gonna come back, we all know it. Plus Superman hanging out with Manchester Black, The Enchantress, Apollo and Midnighter sounds more interesting to me than anything he's been doing recently. Reminds me of Diana's JL: Dark days that ended too soon.

I mean, I get people not wanting Diana to be a parent, but I think if DC is gonna "replace" Diana it's not gonna come from a kid of hers.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-02-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Sue Richards is exactly what I'm talking about. She's only had one limited series in her entire history.
    That has less to do with her being a mother and more to do with her being a team character as opposed to being created as a solo act.

Characters get "sent out to pasture" all the time without being parents. Its happened to Diana three times in her history without a child being involved. First with Oranna, then with Artemis and then with Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That has less to do with her being a mother and more to do with her being a team character as opposed to being created as a solo act.

Characters get "sent out to pasture" all the time without being parents. Its happened to Diana three times in her history without a child being involved. First with Oranna, then with Artemis and then with Donna.
    Eh, I wouldn't say those three cases are exactly comparable. Orana and Artemis were both created for one singular storyline that ends with Diana reclaiming the mantle and both respectively dying (though in Artemis' case she stuck around).

I wouldn't really says it's comparable to something like where Clark is sharing the Superman titles and spotlight with Jon or Barry getting kicked up stairs so Wally can star in the Flash book (or when the reverse happened to Wally when they brought Barry back).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    But what about the amazons. Should they have kids or at least adopted kids?
    Honestly I think they shouldn't have children. The island should give "birth" to new Amazons every 50/100/1000 years or whatever from the Well of Souls. It should be a ceremony where the Amazons wait at the edge of the island and their sisters rise from the sea like the birth of venus.