Page 332 of 440 FirstFirst ... 232282322328329330331332333334335336342382432 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I said in another thread that Snapper Carr would have made more sense as the big villain of Sacrifice. Part of the impact of Sacrifice it was somebody that everybody kind of knew, who did something horrible, turned allies against each other and Diana had to do the unthinkable to save the day.

Though if I had to fix the mess that they've made of Maxwell Lord, I would just the Max in Sacrifice was a clone of the original created by Pyscho and Image Maker in an attempt to discredit WW. They also hired Professor Zoom to plant thoughts in old Max's head in an attempt to make their 'retcon' stick.

The other explanation would be the Kilg%re virus in his body manipulating him into becoming a villain and creating a new body for him. But a backup of the original Max exists then he gets a new body and goes onto recreate the JLI as sort of 'Heroes for Hire' group 'the heroes a common man could call upon'. Evil Max is still around with original Max trying to clear his name.
    unh hunh... so which one is Divine working for?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also... this wasn't even the worst thing Lord has ever done! Yeah.....

There's a very specific reason I keep mentioning Divine...

Yeah Lord cloned Powergirl, and programmed the clone to be his loyal lackey.
    We don't really talk about that part of the Winick run.

Or much of the Winick run, really.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Dr. Psycho would've made for a far superior WW villain that Max effin' Lord in the movies, but for one prickly issue: his villain name is pretty unacceptable. Even though the Batman franchise has repeatedly struck gold by focusing on mental health issues in their villains, "Dr. Psycho" is a step in the wrong direction. The easiest way to get around that is just by going by his birth name, of course. I dunno, maybe the villain just needs to be rebranded entirely. If they can do that to the real Captain Marvel, then they can do it for Dr. P.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Dr. Psycho would've made for a far superior WW villain that Max effin' Lord in the movies, but for one prickly issue: his villain name is pretty unacceptable. Even though the Batman franchise has repeatedly struck gold by focusing on mental health issues in their villains, "Dr. Psycho" is a step in the wrong direction. The easiest way to get around that is just by going by his birth name, of course. I dunno, maybe the villain just needs to be rebranded entirely. If they can do that to the real Captain Marvel, then they can do it for Dr. P.
    They don't call Diana "Wonder Woman" or Barbara Minerva "Cheetah" so they don't have to call Edgar Cizko "Dr. Psycho"
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think the major difference between Lord and Psycho is that Psycho can never "fit" into the everyday life of Diana and the public would have more sympathy for a Maxwell Lord (unless of course Psycho puts on a disguise). Psycho is more of an annoying fly in Diana's life.
    Yeah, this pretty much sums up my feelings about the two. Plus, I love the Harley Quinn show and his depiction there is definitely less than menacing.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We don't really talk about that part of the Winick run.

Or much of the Winick run, really.
    Was it Power Girls baby level cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The sliding timeline of Capsicle is a wonderful boon to anyone writing Captain America, something Diana used to have with how long she's been off the island being a nebulous "I dunno, ten years ago?"

Having her debut in WWII basically makes it seem like she's changed nothing. If women can't even get the same pay as a man with Diana in the world being THE superhero for 80 years, I'm sorry, she's done nothing. It actively hurts her as a character. It's not only a matter of "old institutions" when she's been around long enough that people's grandparents grew up with her as a role model. She would have inspired someone by now if she could, but she hasn't which proves she's not actually as special as they want her to be-- as she is.

Like any aspirational superhero, they have to debut in a somewhat contemporary setting and the date of arrival needs to slide with the timeline or else it just proves that they don't do anything significant. This is because superhero comics are designed to run indefinitely, sure, but that's why you write around the medium to benefit the story and character.

Like Daddy Zues, I think this hurts Diana significantly more than it helps her and only appeases people who want their hero to be first or the bestest best in name if not in function.
    Messner-Loebs Hippolyte? Is that you?

I'd like it if Wonder Woman had a no kill rule as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'd like it if Wonder Woman had a no kill rule as well.
    She did in the Golden Age, at a time when Superman and Batman were blatantly killing.

But honestly, Diana was trained to fight in Man's World. She had to learn how to kill. She values life to a great degree so she would be very hesitant, but it's certainly a rule she would break if she had to, and then lament (as she has in the past).

The question is Wonder Woman the scariest out of the three of them should come up occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    The question is Wonder Woman the scariest out of the three of them should come up occasionally
    Why would we want people to be scared of Diana?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like Diana killing when she needs to.

Villains can be scared of her because they know that she will go there if need be unlike Batman and Superman. That already makes her scarier.

I'll accept Diana having a no killing rule when the same fans also demand a no torture rule, no privacy violation rule, no contamination of evidence rule, no abuse rule and no plotting to "neutralize" his friends rule for Batman.

That's assuming every WW fan is also a Batman fan who is okay with all the negative aspects of his character getting ramped up over the years. Fans aren't a monolith.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'll accept Diana having a no killing rule when the same fans also demand a no torture rule, no privacy violation rule, no contamination of evidence rule, no abuse rule and no plotting to "neutralize" his friends rule for Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's assuming every WW fan is also a Batman fan who is okay with all the negative aspects of his character getting ramped up over the years. Fans aren't a monolith.
    I'd rather WW and Batman both have no kill codes and for Batman to be toned way the hell down in general. But since *******/unhinged Batman is inexplicably very popular, I don't see DC doing it across the board any time soon, unfortunately.

So I don't think the WW franchise should be concerned with what is going on with him. Do what's best for her. Perez, Rucka and Simone wrote her being willing to kill if necessary well, but they kind of are a drop in the bucket when looking at her overall history. I don't view her lack of a "no kill code" to have netted a lot of good things since it was introduced to make it worth keeping around at this point.