Page 350 of 440 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360400 ... LastLast
Results 5,236 to 5,250 of 6592
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Is this a Wonder Woman controversial thread or a Xena one?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Is there any longer a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Hudson Leick would have made an excellent Priscilla Rich.

Their villains even somewhat line up:

Cheetah = Callisto
    Ares = Ares (duh)
    Circe = Alti
    Hercules = Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Is there any longer a difference?
    And that's why I hate Xena and have never watched a single episode of her show. I also resist any forced retroactive similarities added to Wonder Woman that makes the original more like the copy.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    And that's why I hate Xena and have never watched a single episode of her show. I also resist any forced retroactive similarities added to Wonder Woman that makes the original more like the copy.
    You hate a show that you've never watched? Makes sense.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There aren't that many (if any) forced retroactive similarities made to WW besides maybe her movie costume owing a bit of inspiration to Xena.

Beyond that, all similarities are pretty superficial. Xena being in ancient Greece owes more to being a spinoff of Hercules and being in that setting anyway. She's a warrior brunette that has some relationships with Ares and the Amazons, but said dynamics are WAY different than what Diana has. She's more like Red Sonja than Wonder Woman.

Never watched Xena myself but WW wearing Greco-Roman style outfits does pre-date Xena even if it wasn't her standard thing. Though I'd be surprised if it never came up when they were designing the movie/Rebirth outfit.

And I'm more willing to blame DC's creative deficiencies when it comes to WW if she's been made similar to Xena (whatever that means) than a show from two decades ago.

When the Xena comparisons were running rampant it was a stupid comparison since the two were barely anything alike in both costume and attitude.

You're really going to try to sell me on the idea that there are only minor similarities? The blue eyed, dark haired, warrior princess with ties to Olympian gods and Amazons wearing a chackram on her hip like the lasso but thrown like the tiara are enough for me. No thank you.

It's worth mentioning that Lucy Lawless did a great Wonder Woman voicing for New Frontier. I'd love to have her do more voice work as Wonder Woman.

You're really going to try to sell me on the idea that there are only minor similarities? The blue eyed, dark haired, warrior princess with ties to Olympian gods and Amazons wearing a chackram on her hip like the lasso but thrown like the tiara are enough for me. No thank you.
    Xena was originally going to be played by Vanessa Angel, there were no plans for Xena to be blue eyed/dark haired. Some things are just a coincidence. Xena isn't an actual princess like Diana. She's a former warlord whose just so good that she got the nickname of Warrior Princess. Wearing a weapon on your hip isn't a new thing. Wonder Woman doesnt go around throwing her tiara left and right, it happens like once in a blue moon. Similarities happen in a lot of things but neither is a rip off of the other.

Next thing we know, Xena's famous pressure points is going to be a rip off (or did WW rip her off) of the lasso of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It's worth mentioning that Lucy Lawless did a great Wonder Woman voicing for New Frontier. I'd love to have her do more voice work as Wonder Woman.
    Agreed, I'm surprised they havent had her voice the character more than just the one time. She'd also make a great Hippolyta for a modern day tv series.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-03-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Xena was originally going to be played by Vanessa Angel, there were no plans for Xena to be blue eyed/dark haired. Some things are just a coincidence. Xena isn't an actual princess like Diana. She's a former warlord whose just so good that she got the nickname of Warrior Princess. Wearing a weapon on your hip isn't a new thing. Wonder Woman doesnt go around throwing her tiara left and right, it happens like once in a blue moon. Similarities happen in a lot of things but neither is a rip off of the other.

Next thing we know, Xena's famous pressure points is going to be a rip off (or did WW rip her off) of the lasso of truth.

Agreed, I'm surprised they havent had her voice the character more than just the one time. She'd also make a great Hippolyta for a modern day tv series.
    She would make a fantastic Hippolyta.
    Just a silly side thought, but I always wondered how the very tall New Frontier Wonder Woman managed trying to pull off playing meek Diana Prince when she'd usually be taller than all the men she met. It's just a visual I can't help but imagine.

Vanessa Angel was the original choice to play Xena? Wow, my mind is completely blown. I guess it makes sense a little more sense to me why they would cast Lucy Lawless to play a character early in the first season of Hercules and then have her play Xena a few episodes later. Of course, Lawless wasn't the only actor to play two prominent guest characters; Kevin Smith (not that Kevin Smith; RIP) played Iphicles and Ares, two of Hercules' half-brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Vanessa Angel was the original choice to play Xena? Wow, my mind is completely blown. I guess it makes sense a little more sense to me why they would cast Lucy Lawless to play a character early in the first season of Hercules and then have her play Xena a few episodes later. Of course, Lawless wasn't the only actor to play two prominent guest characters; Kevin Smith (not that Kevin Smith; RIP) played Iphicles and Ares, two of Hercules' half-brothers.
    Yep. She ended up getting sick and couldn't make it so they contacted Lucy to take over.