Page 368 of 438 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378418 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 6569

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    So Wonder Woman should be written as a mythical adventurer battling mythical monsters/beasts, gods/goddesses, demons, sorcerer/sorceress?
    More like an agent of change and seeker of truths with a voracious hunger for learning. Truly, a Wonder

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Artists I don't care for their Wonder Woman:

Joelle Jones
    Yannik Paquette
    Jason Fabok
    Otto Schmidt
    Dan Mora
    David Yardin
    What do you think of Cliff Chiang's WW (beyond the Azarelo stuff)?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    More like an agent of change and seeker of truths with a voracious hunger for learning. Truly, a Wonder
    You mean like a peacemaker?
    Last edited by Zahina; 11-30-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    If you are talking about Cliff Chiang as an artist, I wasn't impressed. His artwork on Wonder Woman seemed simple, not very detailed.

I really wish they could consistently get top artists as well as writers for Wonder Woman, and not just short 4-5 issue stints. They do this for their favorites like Batman and then Superman, but Wondy always gets the short end of the stick.

Perfectly fine. Not my favorite but I can see why he's usually the one thing about Azz's Wonder Woman that get praise without asterisks.

I don't care for blonde Hippolyta and I was 50/50 on his God designs though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    If you are talking about Cliff Chiang as an artist, I wasn't impressed. His artwork on Wonder Woman seemed simple, not very detailed.

I really wish they could consistently get top artists as well as writers for Wonder Woman, and not just short 4-5 issue stints. They do this for their favorites like Batman and then Superman, but Wondy always gets the short end of the stick.
    What kind of artist do you prefer in general for WW? More detailed ones ala Liam Sharp?

WW CHIANG 6.jpg

He was very limited in his facial expressions for Diana and there were superficial elements I hated like the duck-bill boots, Hippolyta's lobster armor and this look that everyone else seems to love but I think is tacky. Anytime the belt has a star in the center it becomes like another giant tiara and reminds me of the NBC pilot.

WW ARMOR 5.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 12-01-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

What kind of artist do you prefer in general for WW? More detailed ones ala Liam Sharp?
    Liam Sharp would be a good start. Bring back Aaron Lopresti. He was a great artist for Wonder Woman. I loved George Perez as an artist (RIP). John Byrne along with Karl Kesel back in the day was a good combination (not so much when he was both inking and drawing on Wonder Woman). Alan Davis, Adam Hughes, Dale Keown, Todd McFarlane.

I think the artists that I mentioned above are all above average, draw with detail and a prolonged run with any of them would definitely boost the sales for Wonder Woman, which is pretty much in the tank as it is now. Of course, the writing team would have to change since sales under Cloonrad have not been great for Diana.

Incredible Member

Liam Sharp would be a good start. Bring back Aaron Lopresti. He was a great artist for Wonder Woman. I loved George Perez as an artist (RIP). John Byrne along with Karl Kesel back in the day was a good combination (not so much when he was both inking and drawing on Wonder Woman). Alan Davis, Adam Hughes, Dale Keown, Todd McFarlane.

I think the artists that I mentioned above are all above average, draw with detail and a prolonged run with any of them would definitely boost the sales for Wonder Woman, which is pretty much in the tank as it is now. Of course, the writing team would have to change since sales under Cloonrad have not been great for Diana.
    Not that those are bad artists, but they're definitely from a certain era...though Sharp continues evolving in his style and approaches, with insane amounts of detail as one of his most defining characteristics. His run on WW did have some amorphous backgrounds, though, but I still enjoyed his time on her book and he improved with the WW/Batman team up he wrote and drew. The truth is that the WW does not sell enough to really get such high profile artists, not for interiors, anyway. Adam Huges doesn't do sequentials anymore, anyway, nor McFarlane and I think Alan Davis hasn't done any DC work in at least a decade.

Of the artists with a style similar to the above artists, I'd say Capullo would be a big get for WW. But again, probably too expensive for anything more than 6 issues before he runs off back to Snyder at Image. I think Jorge Jimenez and Dan Mora have substantial followings, and I can see them both doing awesome stuff with her book, given the writing provides good material. Travis Moore was dope while we had him, as was Xermanico and the few Nahuelpan issues (or was that JLD I'm thinking of) we got, but for the most part, they don't stick around, as DC reassigns them to higher profile books. And I don't see that changing anytime soon...as soon as a writer makes even the smallest splash on the WW book, they're usually put on something else with better ROI. Even Historia only has 1 issue per artist, and I can guarantee DC is paying them a much better rate than the artists on her monthly.

I enjoyed Skylar Partridge in the TotA event and I have big love for Emmanuela Lupacchino, but they are only ever around for little stints. This run hasn't had bad art, it's just so obvious that the editors cannot find or are unwilling to find a longterm artist, and it has an effect on the storytelling. Cloonrad clearly have a more whimsical approach, but they also try to write to their artists, which is great! Except when they've had at least 6 if not more artists on pencils in the 24 mainline issues they've been on so far.... The book can't forge a unique identity when there's constant turnover on pencils, and the run suffers because of it.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 12-01-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Diana's powers should be her own. Meaning the gods can't take them away from her, and if they do, it's only a temporary muzzle she can break out of.
    If her power demands an explanation, link her to Gaea (clay origin superiority) and emphasize Amazon training like the Golden Age.

Furthermore, Diana should surpass the gods. I know, on paper, gods should GODS and exist on this level of power beyond comprehension. But the thing is, the gods of DC (and Marvel to be frank) are not and have not been portrayed as that. Honestly this extends to the New Gods and even non-comic stuff like Raiden in Mortal Kombat.

If gods are active agents in the story, they won't maintain their "god-like" aura for long. There's a saying in table-top RPGs I heard that I think sums it up: "If it has Hit-Points, the players are going to try to kill it."
    If your god character is on the ground, interacting and fighting with the protagonist(s), they're beatable.

But this segues to another trope that I'm tired of: Diana ascends to god-hood. She's done it multiple times already. It's going to happen again. And it never amounts to anything. There's never even a discernible power boost. It's a meaningless label that sounds impressive, but only implies that Wonder Woman--as she normally is--isn't as good as a god.

So, I say enough with pretending the gods are some high watermark. Stop suggesting Diana's powers are dependent on them or that she gains anything by becoming one.

The gods are obsolete.

EDIT:
    P.S.: Even though I'm bringing up Wonder Woman's powers and how they relate to the gods, I'm speaking more in terms of their function in the narrative and what it says about her and her agency as a character.

Can we please not turn this into another idiotic power-scaling argument about who lost a fight and when.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 12-06-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Diana's powers should be her own. Meaning the gods can't take them away from her, and if they do, it's only a temporary muzzle she can break out of.
    If her power demands an explanation, link her to Gaea (clay origin superiority) and emphasize Amazon training like the Golden Age.
    I strongly agree there. There's no takebacks in gift giving.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Furthermore, Diana should surpass the gods. I know, on paper, gods should GODS and exist on this level of power beyond comprehension. But the thing is, the gods of DC (and Marvel to be frank) are not and have not been portrayed as that. Honestly this extends to the New Gods and even non-comic stuff like Raiden in Mortal Kombat.

If gods are active agents in the story, they won't maintain their "god-like" aura for long. There's a saying in table-top RPGs I heard that I think sums it up: "If it has Hit-Points, the players are going to try to kill it."
    If your god character is on the ground, interacting and fighting with the protagonist(s), they're beatable.

But this segues to another trope that I'm tired of: Diana ascends to god-hood. She's done it multiple times already. It's going to happen again. And it never amounts to anything. There's never even a discernible power boost. It's a meaningless label that sounds impressive, but only implies that Wonder Woman--as she normally is--isn't as good as a god.

So, I say enough with pretending the gods are some high watermark. Stop suggesting Diana's powers are dependent on them or that she gains anything by becoming one.

The gods are obsolete.

EDIT:
    P.S.: Even though I'm bringing up Wonder Woman's powers and how they relate to the gods, I'm speaking more in terms of their function in the narrative and what it says about her and her agency as a character.

Can we please not turn this into another idiotic power-scaling argument about who lost a fight and when.
    Agreed with all of this. If the Gods are actually active characters that participate in the narrative, their powers will logically be limited so that they don't overwhelm the story. Thus Diana surpassing them is actually a logical choice as it's the fact that her pwoer should be her own (otherwise she loses agency as a character).

The only other alternative I see is for Gods to be almost abstract beings that barely participate in any story and don't have actual charcter-like narrative motivations.

I love ALL your choices. As much as I love "cartoony" art (like the stuff you'd see in animated shows), I would definitely prefer George-Perez-type of detail for my Diana. lol
    There's an artist named Dale Eaglesham who is, imo, brilliant. Detailed, not too realistic as to take me out of the ilusion (as someone like Alex Maleev or Greg Land would) but not as bombastically cartoony as Madureira, but a nice balance, in my opinion. Dale drew the first arc (and more) of the Justice Society of America book from 2006. The art was amazing!!!! I love that book mainly because the art was 100 % appealing to my "art sensibilities," and I always wanted him to draw Diana.

I'd also love if Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (talk about a DC Comics superstar legend!) did a WW arc or two (only because I doubt he would commit to a full 12-issue run; the guy is pushing eighty). Oh, but what a dream it would be to see Garcia Lopez' rendition of Diana, Circe, Ares, CHeetah, Silver Swan at al...

Diana's powers don't work like Billy's, once she has them she has them, end of story.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Characters who WW should interact with less:
    Superman
    Batman
    Supergirl
    Batgirl
    All Robins
    Harley Quinn
    Green Arrow
    Black Canary

Characters who Wonder Woman should interact with more:
    Zatanna