Page 371 of 440 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381421 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 6592
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It may be too soon to tell until we get the whole story, but I would be fine with Historia functioning as its own thing and also double as the default history of the Amazons going forward. It's better than anything that came before (including Marston and Perez), and isn't likely to be topped any time soon, so I don't see a downside.

Only change I might make is having Nubia not be one the original Amazons so she could still be Diana's sister in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It may be too soon to tell until we get the whole story, but I would be fine with Historia functioning as its own thing and also double as the default history of the Amazons going forward. It's better than anything that came before (including Marston and Perez), and isn't likely to be topped any time soon, so I don't see a downside.

Only change I might make is having Nubia not be one the original Amazons so she could still be Diana's sister in some capacity.
    Ideally for me it'd work like Year One where you can read it on it's own and but it also the in-cannon origin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ideally for me it'd work like Year One where you can read it on it's own and but it also the in-cannon origin.
    Yeah, that would be a good model for it.

The shared Nicola Scott connection makes it easier for me to view them as companion pieces. Once it's all collected I will probably read Historia and hop right into Year One

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There are Wonderverse characters who have stayed dead (namely Amazons). If you want to talk about a character whose death should have stuck, that would be Hippolyta.
    Gotta disagree on Hippolyta. Though in an ideal world I don't think they should ever have killed her off in the first place (in Jimenez's run - which was not his choice - or the current run).

My possibly-controversial opinion is that the mother-daugher relationship between Diana and Hippolyta is just as essential as the relationship between, say, Batman and Alfred. It's the emotional core of the character. There are great WW stories that don't feature Hippolyta and more often than not she's dragged through the mud, but when she's done well she's the lynchpin of Diana's lore and arguably the most compelling supporting character in the entire Wonder-verse.

Really miffs me to see so many writers treat Hippolyta as disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Completely agree. Or even just allude to elements of it in canon until the pieces come together. But the main risk is that they could totally bastardize it - like, imagine Geoff Johns getting his paws on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Gotta disagree on Hippolyta. Though in an ideal world I don't think they should ever have killed her off in the first place (in Jimenez's run - which was not his choice - or the current run).

My possibly-controversial opinion is that the mother-daugher relationship between Diana and Hippolyta is just as essential as the relationship between, say, Batman and Alfred. It's the emotional core of the character. There are great WW stories that don't feature Hippolyta and more often than not she's dragged through the mud, but when she's done well she's the lynchpin of Diana's lore and arguably the most compelling supporting character in the entire Wonder-verse.

Really miffs me to see so many writers treat Hippolyta as disposable.
    Heh, yeah, one of the most amusing things was seeing people complain about Hippolyta being a "damsel in distress" in DCAU... wait... the same woman who breaks herself free and confronts the person who took her hostage while the heroes are busy fighting Star Sapphire and the sword girl? Yeah, Hippolyta wasn't exactly helpless.

Hmm, guess Hippolyta did captured a bit in the times she showed up.

Though on the list of bad things about DCAU Wondy I wouldn't really rank it that high. Her having blonde hair is a bigger offense.

Hmm, guess Hippolyta did captured a bit in the times she showed up.

Though on the list of bad things about DCAU Wondy I wouldn't really rank it that high. Her having blonde hair is a bigger offense.
    Is blonde hair really that bad?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

IF Hippolyta truly 'died' I would only except it if it was something actually major and drastically changed the narrative. Like how the first God of War was about Kratos and Atreus taking Faye's ashes to Juntonhiem. or how Visery's death leads to the Dance of Dragons. Its would need to be absolute peak story telling that's handled with care and grace. Definitely NOT what trials was.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Yes but seriously, all of the worst changes in WW history tend to correlate with Hippolyta going blonde (the Kanigher era, n52).

Also you don't see many heroines who have strong Mediterranean features - that includes both the dark curly hair and (especially) the Roman nose. We've got enough Aryan-looking characters.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    For Hippolyta? Yes, and I can get to say that as a blonde.

If artists can't differentiate between two women with the same hair color then those same artists also forfeit the right to draw Superman and Batman for the rest of their careers.

For Hippolyta? Yes, and I can get to say that as a blonde.

If artists can't differentiate between two women with the same hair color then those same artists also forfeit the right to draw Superman and Batman for the rest of their careers.
    I think most of the field would be zeroed out with that criteria. Not many actually can do that, it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think most of the field would be zeroed out with that criteria. Not many actually can do that, it seems
    Well, it's part of what makes an artist... well.. worth their paycheck. It's just part of being a skilled artist.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yes but seriously, all of the worst changes in WW history tend to correlate with Hippolyta going blonde (the Kanigher era, n52).

Also you don't see many heroines who have strong Mediterranean features - that includes both the dark curly hair and (especially) the Roman nose. We've got enough Aryan-looking characters.
    This. She should resemble her daughter, and I don't like the first/main queen of the Amazons being a whitewashed Mediterranean woman.

On the one hand, it's very on brand for DC.

Please note in not saying women of other ethnicities shouldn't be queen, but Hippolyta specifically is actually a character from Greek mythology (who is also the daughter of Ares) and should be Mediterranean. Like come on.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This. She should resemble her daughter, and I don't like the first/main queen of the Amazons being a whitewashed Mediterranean woman.

On the one hand, it's very on brand for DC.

Please note in not saying women of other ethnicities shouldn't be queen, but Hippolyta specifically is actually a character from Greek mythology (who is also the daughter of Ares) and should be Mediterranean. Like come on.
    Dark hair big nose olive skin are MAJOR Mediterranean stereotypes. Especially in America of course. Obviously they come in many looks. Dceu/JL show/70s show all have blonde Hippolytas. Kal el Bruce Diana have always had the same identical features they could be triplets.
    Last edited by Mysterious; 12-14-2022 at 03:52 AM.

My 2023 wish is for Diana to leave the JL and be on her own and deal with her own universe/mythos.