Page 377 of 440 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387427 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 6591

Wonder Woman should have scars from some of her battles. Like ones where she's fought the strongest monsters and gods.

Not to the extent they like to have Batman, but just some here and there.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Wonder Woman should have scars from some of her battles. Like ones where she's fought the strongest monsters and gods.

Not to the extent they like to have Batman, but just some here and there.
    This reminds of another disappointing thing that was undone by Infinite Crisis when it tanked Rucka's run was getting rid of the grey eyes she got after Athena healed her wounds from the Medusa fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This reminds of another disappointing thing that was undone by Infinite Crisis when it tanked Rucka's run was getting rid of the grey eyes she got after Athena healed her wounds from the Medusa fight.
    Can't even have a cool eye color change without it affecting the "status quo" :/
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Can't even have a cool eye color change without it affecting the "status quo" :/
    If only it was resetting to "status quo". Post-Infinite Crisis Wonder Woman was resetting to a status quo from 30 years ago in 2006, that's just character regression.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-04-2023 at 06:11 PM.

She should at least have some burn marks from her first fight Ares as well as claw marks from Cheetah.

New head canon: Wonder Woman uses a special ointment to hide her scars. Not because she is ashamed of them or anything, she just doesn't like people asking about them and doesn't feel they're appropriate in some settings. She also thinks it might help her get through to Barbara.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    She should at least have some burn marks from her first fight Ares as well as claw marks from Cheetah.

New head canon: Wonder Woman uses a special ointment to hide her scars. Not because she is ashamed of them or anything, she just doesn't like people asking about them and doesn't feel they're appropriate in some settings. She also thinks it might help her get through to Barbara.
    I wrote it off as a function of the purple healing ray.

Ruka did write in his first run about how wounds from gods don't heal naturally...
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Writers who say WW is "just too hard to write" should just say they don't like/get the character and accept there are others who have done better than them rather than trying to make out writing WW requires having some or sort Doctorate in Neuroscience.

A.K.A "Mark Waid Syndrome".

Writers who say WW is "just too hard to write" should just say they don't like/get the character and accept there are others who have done better than them rather than trying to make out writing WW requires having some or sort Doctorate in Neuroscience.

It's weird to see comments like these from writers who are also fans of Superman, a character who gets similar accusations.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's weird to see comments like these from writers who are also fans of Superman, a character who gets similar accusations.
    It's corporate speak. Creators can't just go and say "hey, I'm not that interested in this character but she's famous and I'm kinda forced to write her" and saying "I just don't get it and didn't didn't wat to spent time doing the homework" makes you look dumb and/or lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It always carries the air of self-congratulatory patting on the back. It also comes off as belittling and insulting to writers who did do great with the character, too much pride to admit there is no writer who "can write everyone" regardless of how much a self-proclaimed "I love everything about DC" fanboy they are.

Didn't Mark Waid just admit that?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Mark Waid just admit that?
    Goes to what I said above. Always couched with the implication that since he couldn't do the character right or has found a story to his liking than clearly no one has.

I mean yeah, sure. I suppose WW might be harder to write than "guy who runs really really really fast this time" but that says more abut Waid than it does WW.

Goes to what I said above. Always couched with the implication that since he couldn't do the character right or has found a story to his liking than clearly no one has.

I mean yeah, sure. I suppose WW might be harder to write than "guy who runs really really really fast this time" but that says more abut Waid than it does WW.
    If I remember right he admitted he just can't get into her and probably isn't qualified to write her, not that it would be impossible for someone else to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I remember right he admitted he just can't get into her and probably isn't qualified to write her, not that it would be impossible for someone else to do so.
    He actually just addressed it in a Word Balloon interview and was talking about how he thinks the bondage/sexuality and proto-feminist elements of the GA books were the key to her success and staying power and he doesn't feel equipped to address that.

You can debate the merit of that all day - I'd argue that Morrison's Earth One would be a lot more popular and definitive if it were true - but it definitely says quite a bit about Waid. He's a nostalgia guy, just like so many other superhero writers. His entire process involves riffing on the Silver Age stuff he read when he was 12. He doesn't have his typical source material to draw from because that era was hijacked by Kanigher, so his only solution is to look back to the earliest possible interpretation that worked and he can't access it. Same deal with Geoff Johns, dude's entire approach is working with the stuff he liked as a kid in the '70s-early '80s and he's had 2 notable interpretations of the character - stale, distinctly non-WW sword maiden archetype (his n52-era stuff) and woefully out-of-date Lynda Carter/Donner Superman pastiche (WW84).

Jimenez is the only big nostalgia guy who's done strong work on WW and he's a lot less puritanical about it than Mark Waid. He's got his dealbreakers but his preferences skew Marston and he built his masterpiece around Kelly Sue DeConnick's pitch that began with "I'm rejecting Marston."