Page 39 of 440 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

I'm curious if the amazons had children. Should it also be based on Perez? That children who have terrible life were collected and given to the Amazons? I mean many girls are still killed for being girls. What if that is how Amazons have children?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I do think the subject is worthy of exploration in Elseworlds style but not with anti Amazon sentiment a la Morrison.
    I'd like to see a balance as I can imagine that people would be inspired by the Amazons, and others would demonized them. It'd be an interesting fantasy/sci-fi lens to look at the politics of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think there's a lot of potential in exploring the socio-political aspects of the Amazons revealing themselves. I mean, a highly advanced race of super women who show up with a very well defined philosophy that goes against big chunks of the world's opinions? That's a fascinating idea, and throwing Diana in the middle of it as the de-facto ambassador while also being a Leaguer and hero? That's some great stuff!

I dont need it being crazy heavy handed, nor do I want the Amazons written two-dimensionally, either as the clear moral superior nor as the clear moral inferior. Let their culture be as complex as any other, with good and bad points both.
    I agree wholeheartedly. There are some great subplots to explore through this lens of the Amazons. They'd absolutely be polarizing to contemporary society.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. There are some great subplots to explore through this lens of the Amazons. They'd absolutely be polarizing to contemporary society.
    Realistically people sweep things under a different rug these days and still don't actually address them.. :/

Artemis should be black or brown. Also, it might have been better to give her an Egyptian name. Or at least a name that isn't the same as one of the Olympians.

Well Artemis is fine given the fact Greek did at one point try and take over Egypt. Egypt did wind up sharing a lot of Greece culture. Also do you guys think in most cases Diana should be around the same age has Clark and Bruce or thousands of years old?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Also do you guys think in most cases Diana should be around the same age has Clark and Bruce or thousands of years old?
    I dont have a strong opinion either way but I do like the idea of Diana being centuries old. Under that sort of setup, I'd keep her being a JSA member back during WWII, she goes underground when the JSA disbands (maybe going back to the Island?) and then returning when Clark shows up to join the modern age of superheroes. I think she'd work well as the "bridge" between the JSA and the JLA.

Assuming we have to have clutter earth, anyway. I still prefer my JSA on earth-2.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Artemis should be black or brown. Also, it might have been better to give her an Egyptian name. Or at least a name that isn't the same as one of the Olympians.
    Actually, in ancient times, it was considered unlucky to give your child the name of a god. That was hubris. Therefore, there is _some_ logic in the fact that Diana is not wearing the name of a Greek goddess, and Artemis is not wearing the name of an Egyptian goddess (although I doubt that the authors intended this!).

Artemis doesn’t need to have a different skin color. For one in Egyptians come in all skin colors and two several important people in ancient Egypt had olive to light skin. Cleopatra is often named one of them.

Why can’t it simple be the fact can be named Artemis? Simply because her mother wanted to honor the original Amazons?

Artemis doesn’t need to have a different skin color. For one in Egyptians come in all skin colors and two several important people in ancient Egypt had olive to light skin. Cleopatra is often named one of them.

Why can’t it simple be the fact can be named Artemis? Simply because her mother wanted to honor the original Amazons?
    The original Amazons weren't named after the Olympians. So Artemis' mom wanting to honor them by naming her after an Olympian wouldn't make sense.

And yes Egyptians do have a lot of racial diversity. But it's a little troubling how the most prominent of Egyptian Amazons is white when most Wonder Woman characters are already Caucasian.

Artemis is fine as is. Rather than slap a new skin color on her, how about a new Amazon is promoted, or an already established one? And maybe have Artemis tutor her like Diana has done with Donna and Cass?

For Diana's age; I kind of like the idea of Hippolyta being the original Wonder Woman in the JSA, and then Diana being about the same age as Bruce and Clark.

As for my controversial opinion;
    The Amazons worship one of the deities responsible for them isolating themselves in Hera. Seriously, she set out to make Heracles' life awful from the day he was born. Which included the 12 Labors.

This is why I rather like the fact in Marston's they seem not to worship all the Gods. Mostly it's Aphrodite and Athena. I wonder if it's any of the male gods it would be Hades and Hephaestus. For me I really think the Amazons should make weapons to kill a God due to the fact Gods like Ares exist. Why shouldn't they have high tech weapons? Especially if Hera does try to destroy Paradise Island again. That she can't because the Amazons made a special border.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I would have the Amazons develop into a race of hyper-evolved ubermenschen who need “patrons” like a fish needs a bicycle. I hate what Perez turned Paradise Island into, it’s like a stagnant shelter for battered women

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Artemis is fine as is. Rather than slap a new skin color on her, how about a new Amazon is promoted, or an already established one? And maybe have Artemis tutor her like Diana has done with Donna and Cass?

For Diana's age; I kind of like the idea of Hippolyta being the original Wonder Woman in the JSA, and then Diana being about the same age as Bruce and Clark.
    I totally agree with all of this!

Artemis was given the responsibility of training Cassie by Diana and she obviously did a really good job. That might be her calling.

I'm curious if the amazons had children. Should it also be based on Perez? That children who have terrible life were collected and given to the Amazons? I mean many girls are still killed for being girls. What if that is how Amazons have children?
    I'd rather they not have children at all (other than Diana of course.....and I'll entertain an argument for Donna). They're immortals with a ridiculously low death rate. They don't need children, and if there's other kids running around it makes Diana's situation more common. I like the idea that Diana was this singular being from the very start; the only child on the Island, beloved and pampered and raised by the entire community. Its like every single Amazon adopted her, but if there's a bunch of kids running around? Then Diana is "just" the queen's daughter......which is a privileged position but not at all the same thing as being the only child in the society.

Didn't care for Perez's whole thing with the abused women. I mean, I get the appeal; it's basically heaven for DV victims (and I do think there's potential there) but it never felt right for the Amazons. It's like.....I dunno, you're born and live a whole life and then suddenly you're expected to train as a warrior and follow the demands of gods no one else believes is real? I dunno, it always felt just a little bit cult-ish to me. Never cared for it, even though I can totally see what Perez was trying to do and I give him props for dealing with the DV issue.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.