Page 42 of 440 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

None of the other Amazon characters should have lassos. That should be Diana's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like 100% training, with no blessings from the gods, and her just like every other Amazon (except more skilled). But it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion.
    Original Golden Age Wonder Woman was like that, but I'm not sure it fits with the current ultra-high-powered state of the DC Universe. Having several thousand Superman-equivalent women on a magical island right here on Earth causes all sorts of suspension of disbelief issues that a couple of Kryptonians doesn't do. Also, you run right into the narrative problem of Conservation of Ninjutsu.

Personally, I favour a mix of gifts/blessings from the Patrons, Amazon training, and innate Amazon abilities for Diana.

Like many creative choices, this has a degree of arbitrariness, what you want to tell, and putting stuff together so they do fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Controversial WW related opinion. More Wonder Girl/Troia. I don't find it important that Donna was raised on the island or is WW's sister. In the era I mostly read her in (1980-1990 New Teen Titans and some earlier Teen Titans), she rarely expressed any particularly Amazonian beliefs or displayed that much of a relationship with Diana or Hippolyta. I forget they're connected half the time.
    As far as I understand it, Donna's relation to Diana in the comics has always been much weaker than the one between Batman and Robin. And DC right now treat them very separately: as far as I can tell the Wonder Woman writers would need cross-editorial permission to even include Donna in a story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    This. 'Amazons' should be like Kryptonians or Daxamites, members of a race with inherent high level superpowers. Diana is first among equals among them, not set aside with special advantages unique to her. They don't have to be Superman level out of the box, but they are close, and possibly more effective pound for pound because of their extensive martial training. Diana ought to have a superpowered army at her command: a real army, not members of a league, but a crack unit of soldiers.

I agree on the first part, not the last sentence. They should not be at her command, IMO, but her mother's. And very sparingly used in that sense, IMO. I like reading superhero stories, not war stories. I'd much rather read her as a hero than a general.

Also, it'd be way too easy to win every fight - save them for things like The Invasion! and the like.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-06-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of the other Amazon characters should have lassos. That should be Diana's thing.
    I totally disagree, lassos are to the WW Family like batarangs are to Batman's. The way Nightwing as wing-dings and Robin has R shurikens there should be variations on lassos, they all should do something different, be it truth telling, persuasion, lightning, submission etc.

Artemis is severely underused. She should appear in WW's book at least every 20 issues as a friend doing training, rescuing or recognizance and she deserves a place on some Justice League team as a more street level Wonder Woman. She makes the brand bigger.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-06-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Artemis is severely underused. She should appear in WW's book at least every 20 issues as a friend doing training, rescuing or recognizance and she deserves a place on some Justice League team as a more street level Wonder Woman. She makes the brand bigger.
    Nothing controversial about Artemis being underused. That’s just a fact.

Boisterously Confused

I totally disagree, lassos are to the WW Family like batarangs are to Batman's. The way Nightwing as wing-dings and Robin has R shurikens there should be variations on lassos, they all should do something different, be it truth telling, persuasion, lightning, submission etc.
    I've said before that I like the idea of Amazon's being slightly super, with many of them - thru training - mastering techniques that boost their abilities psychokinetically, and with WW being so much better at those techniques than other Amazons that she's is Superman's league. I also like the idea that the bracelets and lassos are psychokinetic amplifiers. Between the two, it would still leave room for Wonder Girl and other Amazons to have a lassos of their own, but explain why only WW's can perform feats like compelling the truth: she's just that much more powerful and skilled in the use of Amazonian psi-boosting implements.

Yeah, no secret she's underused.

That said, in Red Hood and the Outlaws, she and Bizarro are stuck, uh, somewhere else. Its not exactly clear where or when, but yeah. But Lobdell has said he plans for both to return. And she and Biz have become Jason's family in the Rebirth era.

I love that lariat skills are an Amazon thing, but I agree that none of the other Wonder women should have magic lassos. I remember liking that in TNTT Wonder Girl's lasso was made from a super strong polymer or something or other. If the Amazons keep getting retconned as being technologically advanced, it'd be kind of interesting to see what types of "weapons" they'd create, based on their ideals, philosophy, and culture, and might supply Amazon warriors, but I digress...

I've developed a magical weapon for Troia that's all her own. I haven't had as much luck with Cassie yet. Back when she was Zeus's kid, I thought the thunderbolt lasso was a clever idea.

. If the Amazons keep getting retconned as being technologically advanced,
    Well, they started out being quite technologically advanced. In plot-convenient areas, anyway. If not from the very first appearance, certainly quite early.

I agree. It should be either a unique item that she won the use of when winning the competition or one crafted for her after she won the competition, IMO. Magical rather than technological (not that I think I've ever seen it depicted as the latter).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Well that ship has sailed, everyone has had a lasso now except for Nubia, who we'll probably never see again because she keeps getting replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I love that lariat skills are an Amazon thing, but I agree that none of the other Wonder women should have magic lassos. I remember liking that in TNTT Wonder Girl's lasso was made from a super strong polymer or something or other. If the Amazons keep getting retconned as being technologically advanced, it'd be kind of interesting to see what types of "weapons" they'd create, based on their ideals, philosophy, and culture, and might supply Amazon warriors, but I digress...

I've developed a magical weapon for Troia that's all her own. I haven't had as much luck with Cassie yet. Back when she was Zeus's kid, I thought the thunderbolt lasso was a clever idea.
    In my WW verse, Donna uses an Amazon battle staff and enchanted Filipino knives (Donna's Filipino in my verse). These symbolise her two different heritages.

For Cassie, I gave her a pair of gauntlets to channel lightning and increase her punch damage.

In my WW verse, Donna uses an Amazon battle staff and enchanted Filipino knives (Donna's Filipino in my verse). These symbolise her two different heritages.

For Cassie, I gave her a pair of gauntlets to channel lightning and increase her punch damage.
    I've given Donna a staff of sorts too. One that can become different lengths, or separate into two sticks, kind of like Diana's staff from the a Dungeons and Dragons animated series.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Not sure if this qualifies as "controversial," but I recall reading someone in one of these threads suggesting Jason could have been more tolerable if he had been a child of Hippolyta from her younger days before the Amazons even left Man's World, and not a twin brother of Diana, and I kinda dug it. Maybe tying him into the Gargareans could work, providing another tribe (like the Bana) with its own pluses and minuses that could eventually come together with the main Themyscira Amazons. It'd be a good way to have "Male Amazons" without going the stupid route the New 52 did. But I could still live without him, and his personality would still need a drastic overhaul before I embraced the idea.

Robinson's run in general had some good basic ideas that he either breezed right past or executed in an underwhelming/horrible way. Jason was the big one, but also I think Diana interacting with other famous Greek heroes like Hercules and Perseus could have been rich with potential, but they were all killed off by a character significantly less interesting than them (Grail). Re-introducing the Kapatelis women, but rushing things to make Vanessa the Silver Swan and killing off Julia. Further developing Godwatch into a modern Villain Inc, but doing away with Zara and the Snowman within a couple pages each instead of giving them their own issues/arcs, etc.

I don't know how controversial this is, but in regards to everyone talking about Diana and her family, I don't think Diana needs any siblings in any shape or form. I actually dislike that she isn't an only child in every sense of the word.