Page 43 of 440 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I don't know how controversial this is, but in regards to everyone talking about Diana and her family, I don't think Diana needs any siblings in any shape or form. I actually dislike that she isn't an only child in every sense of the word.
    I don't think it's that controversial, especially where Jason is concerned. Nubia is a little better, but her whole setup is kind of weird too (white Wonder Woman's black twin sister from a white mother and no father lol). I'd revamp her as Philippus's daughter, so they'd be like stepsisters.

Does your opinion extend to adopted Donna? I think she'd be adopted either after Diana has become an adult or when Diana is a teen, so Diana would be raised as a single child for a decent length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think it's that controversial, especially where Jason is concerned. Nubia is a little better, but her whole setup is kind of weird too (white Wonder Woman's black twin sister from a white mother and no father lol). I'd revamp her as Philippus's daughter, so they'd be like stepsisters.

Does your opinion extend to adopted Donna? I think she'd be adopted either after Diana has become an adult or when Diana is a teen, so Diana would be raised as a single child for a decent length of time.
    It does, actually. I think Wonder Woman should be the only child from the island and from her mother, etc. I think in an effort to build more lore into the Wondy mythos, they've lessened what makes her special, in my eyes at least. I know tons of people like Donna, but I never cared for her, let alone anyone else they added into her.

I don't know how controversial this is, but in regards to everyone talking about Diana and her family, I don't think Diana needs any siblings in any shape or form. I actually dislike that she isn't an only child in every sense of the word.
    Being an only child ain't all its cracked up to be.

I mean psychological elements have always been a small part of Diana. Which is why there were other kids up until post crisis. Most physiologist agree it's important a children plays with other kids. If we want Diana to be special there is a way to do it. Perez brought this up that amazons saved and helped being back kids who wash a shored on the Island but what if due to the fact the babies couldn't return due to the pocket dimension the Amazons adopted instead. Diana is special because she is the only Amazon born the Island with full Amazon blood. While yes Amazon training can make one strong like A amazon. Maybe there should be something that makes it harder for them fully locked their fully potential.Diana is a symbol of both Clarke and Bruce. Which means she somewhat should have a regular childhood. What makes her unique is she didn't have to go. Diana has always be a adventurer. She always wanted to leave. None of the Amazons wanted to leave. They did this because they saw it as a duty. Diana saw it as a duty and a chance to see what was beyond this island. unlike many other she didn't have that same past.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-06-2019 at 06:32 PM.

It really falls under my picky preferences. I'm sure there's tons of reasons in continuity and editorial for Diana to have siblings, but I can't see it as anything other than an attempt to steal her thunder.

Here's one for me. Complaints about a sibling "stealing Diana's thunder" or any superhero make no sense, especially when these characters are made with the point of being supporting characters. Okay, there's Jason and whatever the hell they were doing with him but he's the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I totally disagree, lassos are to the WW Family like batarangs are to Batman's. The way Nightwing as wing-dings and Robin has R shurikens there should be variations on lassos, they all should do something different, be it truth telling, persuasion, lightning, submission etc.
    Not everyone in the Batfamily uses Batarangs or variants of. In fact, I don't think Dick and Tim use them anymore. Jason, Stephanie, Cass and Helena definitely don't use them.

Different weapons can also help characters stand out more and make for more interesting fight scenes and line-ups.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It does, actually. I think Wonder Woman should be the only child from the island and from her mother, etc. I think in an effort to build more lore into the Wondy mythos, they've lessened what makes her special, in my eyes at least. I know tons of people like Donna, but I never cared for her, let alone anyone else they added into her.
    I certainly understand having a frustration/apathy towards Donna (I have a love/hate "relationship" with her myself). She was largely foisted onto the WW mythos by accident due to an editorial oversight, and that's set the tone for her entire existence unfortunately. But with the basics of the old origin (adopted Amazon) I don't think she lessens what makes Diana special.

Especially with the clay birth in place, Diana is still the lead and Hippolyta's first child, and the one with the special destiny mapped out by the Olympians. Donna being Hippolyta's second adopted child and someone Diana acts as a mentor towards doesn't really disrupt that.

Jason was the only other character who DC tried to allow to steal her thunder. DC was able to use Nubia correctly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

This does happen in real life with bi-racial twins where one looks white and the other black, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of probability.

Especially if Phillppus and Hippolyta both sculpted them and mixing their blood together in the clay to make Nubia and Diana

Should the Amazons be the only sentinel beings on the island? I mean shouldn’t at least one other Wonder Woman villain have connections with the Amazons or at least can find them? What about Clea? That she had a monster but the Amazons locked it up or at least freedom it from her control
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-07-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    This does happen in real life with bi-racial twins where one looks white and the other black, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of probability.
    that only works when both parents are mixed. It just doesn't come out dark enough when only one parent is mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Agreed, though I also think that the contest isn't necessary (both the movie and Earth One did without it without harming the plot any; well, the plot and setup of Earth One was rather badly done, but omitting the contest was not one of the problems).

For the contest to make sense from a world-building perspective, I think the following requirements should hold true:

1. There is a reason why not every single Amazon is participating or volunteering
    2. Diana must not have come into her full powers yet

Though now that I think of it, there might be a second possibility. Hippolyta knows that Diana has special powers and strengths, and will win if she enters. The real test would thus be if she is willing to go against her mother's stated wish by actually entering the contest. Though as plots go, that's rather too complex, I think.
    the only part that's too complicated IMO is giving Hippolyta an ulterior motive. Why have her "test" Diana by telling her NOT to do what she secretly plans for her to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like 100% training, with no blessings from the gods, and her just like every other Amazon (except more skilled). But it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion.
    It's the conservation of ninjutsu principle. The same applies to Aquaman and Atlanteans.

Controversial WW related opinion. More Wonder Girl/Troia. I don't find it important that Donna was raised on the island or is WW's sister. In the era I mostly read her in (1980-1990 New Teen Titans and some earlier Teen Titans), she rarely expressed any particularly Amazonian beliefs or displayed that much of a relationship with Diana or Hippolyta. I forget they're connected half the time.
    Well, Donna's origin is pretty much the only connection.... especially if you go the Troia route since her being a demi-Titan makes her something of an enemy of the Olympian gods.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I like the idea that the contest was put in place to decide who would be bestowed those powers, personally.
    In Superfriends, the winner got the title of Amazon Champion, along with a set of magical armor and weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But yes, strength does matter. At a certain point of invulnerability, it matters a lot. I was remembering a story where Dick Grayson (I think) sparred with Cassie Sandsmark and got his butt handed to him. That was a deliberate display - a normal human doesn't stand a chance against a well-trained meta (with those sorts of powers) in a fight. It's just ridiculous for it to be any other way, IMO, which is why (barring kryptonite), Batman should never ever be able to take Superman (or Wonder Woman) in a physical fight. Too often it's acted like powers are all the powered heroes have going for them, and that's generally not the case. But even when is, if the most the opponent blow can do is feel like a 2-year-old hitting them, then there's just almost no way at all the opponent should win. Not that I think heroes should be fighting each other all the time - but DC does love excuses to pit them against each other.
    Well, high tier super-durability is such that it's literally like hitting a brick wall.