Page 44 of 440 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I love that lariat skills are an Amazon thing, but I agree that none of the other Wonder women should have magic lassos. I remember liking that in TNTT Wonder Girl's lasso was made from a super strong polymer or something or other. If the Amazons keep getting retconned as being technologically advanced, it'd be kind of interesting to see what types of "weapons" they'd create, based on their ideals, philosophy, and culture, and might supply Amazon warriors, but I digress...

I've developed a magical weapon for Troia that's all her own. I haven't had as much luck with Cassie yet. Back when she was Zeus's kid, I thought the thunderbolt lasso was a clever idea.
    Isn't the current version also his descendant? So still a demi-goddess?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    This does happen in real life with bi-racial twins where one looks white and the other black, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of probability.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    that only works when both parents are mixed. It just doesn't come out dark enough when only one parent is mixed.
    Yeah, it'd be one thing if Diana and Nubia had a black father, but this is Hippolyta going solo and sculpting from clay.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Especially if Phillppus and Hippolyta both sculpted them and mixing their blood together in the clay to make Nubia and Diana
    This could work. I do like the Amazons giving their blood to the clay figures as part of the creation (like Hippolyta did in the DTV i believe). Diana is of Hippolyta's blood and could inherit her mother's demigod lineage without a father involved.

But I ultimately don't like Diana sharing her moment of creation with anyone, be it Nubia or (especially) Jason, either by clay birth or Zeus origin. If it's the clay birth, just have Hippolyta be the first Amazon bold enough to request this blessing from the Gods, and other Amazons when they want daughters do the same thing. Just have Philippus create Nubia from clay, share her blood, and let Aphrodite do the rest. I think other "second generation" Amazons, of which Diana would be the first, would be Nubia, Mala, Artemis (if she's there and not with the Bana) and Io. Donna's arrival would coincide with a third generation so she has some playmates.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I certainly understand having a frustration/apathy towards Donna (I have a love/hate "relationship" with her myself). She was largely foisted onto the WW mythos by accident due to an editorial oversight, and that's set the tone for her entire existence unfortunately. But with the basics of the old origin (adopted Amazon) I don't think she lessens what makes Diana special.

Especially with the clay birth in place, Diana is still the lead and Hippolyta's first child, and the one with the special destiny mapped out by the Olympians. Donna being Hippolyta's second adopted child and someone Diana acts as a mentor towards doesn't really disrupt that.
    The more I talk about it, the more I realize that I'm this weird type of fan that is extremely picky? Like, I don't like legacy characters, clones, siblings, etc. I think I latch onto one era or interpretation of characters and don't give anything else a chance

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, it'd be one thing if Diana and Nubia had a black father, but this is Hippolyta going solo and sculpting from clay.

This could work. I do like the Amazons giving their blood to the clay figures as part of the creation (like Hippolyta did in the DTV i believe). Diana is of Hippolyta's blood and could inherit her mother's demigod lineage without a father involved.

But I ultimately don't like Diana sharing her moment of creation with anyone, be it Nubia or (especially) Jason, either by clay birth or Zeus origin. If it's the clay birth, just have Hippolyta be the first Amazon bold enough to request this blessing from the Gods, and other Amazons when they want daughters do the same thing. Just have Philippus create Nubia from clay, share her blood, and let Aphrodite do the rest. I think other "second generation" Amazons, of which Diana would be the first, would be Nubia, Mala, Artemis (if she's there and not with the Bana) and Io. Donna's arrival would coincide with a third generation so she has some playmates.
    How far apart is the second generation? Mala and Diana are suppose to be around the same age

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    The more I talk about it, the more I realize that I'm this weird type of fan that is extremely picky? Like, I don't like legacy characters, clones, siblings, etc. I think I latch onto one era or interpretation of characters and don't give anything else a chance
    That's known as being aware of one's biases, which is a good thing as a reflective reader who likes to discuss things.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I often thing about the Gods should have adapted to the modern world. Like Hera being midwife or Aphrodite being a sex therapist. Because these things are important to many people. So the Gods feed off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm the opposite of you, I guess. I do think all Amazons should be as strong as Superman (with no special blessings for Diana) and I do think bullets should be able to kill them (because I'm attached to bracelet-deflecting bullet bit). I think I like the idea of vulnerability to projectiles and sharp edges, but not vulnerable to blunt force. Thought I acknowledge there's no real logical consistency to this.
    Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on all the Amazons being Kryptonian level powerful.

I like having Themyscria involved on the world stage, to one small degree or another, and if they're all as powerful as Clark Kent that poses some problems and questions that just aren't worth the effort of dealing with.

Like I said, I don't really have a strong opinion on the topic, nor am I terribly concerned with whether Diana is as strong as Clark. I've heard some really great arguments for why she should be, and for why she *has* to be, and I get it. But I think the metatext works just as well if Diana is Clark's equal despite not being as strong as he is. Make no mistake, whether she can bench press (roughly) the same amount of weight as Clark or not, I think she takes him in a fight at least half the time (at least). She's just a much more capable and experienced combatant, probably the greatest superhuman fighter on earth. In my mind, she doesn't *need* to be as physically strong as Clark to equal him. But I totally get why people feel otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That brings up what kind of technology the Amazons should have. Sure, they're super-advanced. But why guns - as opposed to so many other techs? Especially as this is a technology they'd never have been exposed to, historically, and not one they'd really have use for (unlike mills, etc.) unless they preferred hunting with them, I guess (I don't think other Amazons were depicted as vegetarians?). Also, how much do they know about the outside world and its technologies? How much do they "import" because it sounds interesting if they do know about it v. develop independently?
    They kept tabs on Man's World and reverse engineered some of our developments.

I recently decided I really like the idea of the Amazons continuing and developing "sciences" that we gave up on centuries ago. Rather than just having sci-fi style guns and other "human" style technology I'd rather see them master alchemy, astrology, enchanting, stuff like that. Not quite science, not quite magic. I think it would give them more of a national identity if they had innovations other than "here's a gun that looks like it came from Star Wars."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't see why they can't have laser guns. They can have that type of stuff. They should have things on the island that powers things. Like crystals that are the power source. So we would either need the magic sphere or maybe that was what the Wonder Woman contest was originally. One Amazon would leave and take some of our teach and being it back or draw and write about it
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

They certainly *can* and they have for most of their history. I'm just thinking it would be a little more interesting if they didn't, and had technology that was very different from what we have. And tying their development into early forms of "science" just seems fitting, while also being a way to give them something distinct.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

True so more mythical tech base? That they have things similar but nothing works the same way has ours. For example. Lights are somehow fire they are able to control and it never goes out on it's our

True so more mythical tech base? That they have things similar but nothing works the same way has ours. For example. Lights are somehow fire they are able to control and it never goes out on it's our
    Yeah. I like the Amazons being advanced, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean sci-fi versions of our own technology. Laser guns and flying cars.....we see that everywhere in fiction. But less common is the society built on alchemy or astrology, and there's some connective tissue there with Greek history. I thought it'd be a way to give the Amazons something distinctly their own you know? Make them stand out a little more. Granted, its not like alchemy is never used in fiction, but its seen a lot less than laser rifles.

~ Black Panther.

However, to keep with bullets and bracelets they should have guns. I mean it wouldn't be Wonder Woman with how at least some guns. So it wouldn't be a bad thing to see those just not a lot of Amazons use them. Guns are more for the Amazons guarding specific things.

Well, I do love bullets and bracelets so I suppose I gotta agree with that!

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Trust me, it's not that weird. Barring Wally West as the Flash, Damian (mostly in the hands of Morrison) and JSA related characters, I'm not that wild about excessive legacies or spin off characters either. I'm glad YJ has it's book, but I don't really care for that generation myself.

I do like Donna's generation though (and it's annoying how DC targets them for destruction) so for her sake I like the simple connection she had pre-Crisis to Diana. But I understand how annoying her...well, everything is, so I can't blame someone for not wanting to engage

How far apart is the second generation? Mala and Diana are suppose to be around the same age
    In my head canon, the other Amazons who wanted to be mothers would start soon after Hippolyta did her miracle thing, so Mala and co. would be born within a few days of Diana.

Of course not all Amazons would come to that decision to become mothers at the same time, so some Amazons could pray to Aphrodite for children around the same time Donna is brought to the island, or in between

Well Donna should be a child reborn who was found by Diana. Who quickly becomes attached. I mean maybe they should be 5 years apart