Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 1017
  1. #661
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I recently decided I really like the idea of the Amazons continuing and developing "sciences" that we gave up on centuries ago. Rather than just having sci-fi style guns and other "human" style technology I'd rather see them master alchemy, astrology, enchanting, stuff like that. Not quite science, not quite magic. I think it would give them more of a national identity if they had innovations other than "here's a gun that looks like it came from Star Wars."
    Yeah, it's somewhat similar to my take on Amazon technology, which would be much more focused on individual craftsmanship and on the specific need of the Amazons rather than mass production or machinery. They have no need for aircraft, but when they repaired Steve Trevor's aircraft, it turned into the invisible jet. And so on. But they should be much more advanced than us in fields like medicine, psychology, sociology, or botany.

    As for a controversial opinion, unrelated to the above: I find the obsession with boy or male Amazons to be counter to what Wonder Woman is about.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  2. #662
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,808

    Default

    Alchemy sounds like a skill Akila could have used.

  3. #663
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,808

    Default

    Hippolyta and Diana's relationship does need conflict. However, too often, writers make her borderline abusive.

  4. #664
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hippolyta and Diana's relationship does need conflict. However, too often, writers make her borderline abusive.
    I'm not sure any of that is controversial in any way. Any relationship in fiction needs drama, and that is often based on some form of conflict.

    And I don't think it's controversial at all that most writers at DC have been horrible at writing female characters, and even more so when depicting relationships between women.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  5. #665
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, it's somewhat similar to my take on Amazon technology, which would be much more focused on individual craftsmanship and on the specific need of the Amazons rather than mass production or machinery. They have no need for aircraft, but when they repaired Steve Trevor's aircraft, it turned into the invisible jet. And so on. But they should be much more advanced than us in fields like medicine, psychology, sociology, or botany.
    Exactly. Less mass production, more items crafted by hand for a specific person. Less gunmetal and more alchemy and enchanted weapons, etc.

    As for the invisible jet......there was a thread about it a while ago and I gave it a bit of thought and decided I dont actually want it to be tied to the Amazons at all. They shouldn't have aircraft, at least not like that (hot air balloons or something maybe, but they have no need for air transport like planes), and since the invisible jet is really about the only example we have of the Amazons building stealth tech it never really seemed to fit, even with the excuse of keeping the Island's location hidden when Steve and Diana leave.

    I'd have the jet be a prototype US military development; the next step in stealth technology. And I'd make the thing larger, more of a bomber or transport than a fighter. I'd like to see the jet serve as a mobile base for Diana, full of armor and weapons and tools she might need for any given mission, food and supplies, etc. DC has done that a couple times and it gives the jet more of a purpose (when Diana can fly, the reasons she needs the jet become hard to justify) and would give Steve something to do (it's in his charge, so he's gotta take care of it). It also reinforces Diana's relationship with the military/Argus/DMA/whatever, and I like it when her stories are as rooted in political/military narratives as mythology.

    I'd also like to see the idea brought back that Diana can control the plane mentally (that, I could see as an Amazon invention), and have it used in combat more often. Imagine having to fight someone like Diana, with all her skill and strength and mythical weapons, and on top of it you've got an invisible plane making strafing runs, high-tech Argus level bullets and bombs flying.

    You mention sociology and psychology, and I actually think it'd be rather interesting to see Amazon theory and philosophy there. I think their theories would be more advanced than our's in some ways, but because the Amazons would have built these schools of thought around a society without gender differences a whole lot of it wouldn't really make sense in Man's World. I think it could be a great example of highlighting how the Amazon's philosophy is better than our's in some ways, but inapplicable or worse in others.

    As for a controversial opinion, unrelated to the above: I find the obsession with boy or male Amazons to be counter to what Wonder Woman is about.
    Agreed completely.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #666
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,490

    Default

    In Earth one they and teleports and motorcycles. Why not give it to some of the Amazons? That they at least know about airplanes and how to repair a airplane. They should have some advance weapons. For one dealing with a god.

    One another thing is I do think the Amazons shouldn’t be the only living humanoid on the island. What about fairies or something else
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Support IMPOSSIBLE JONES

    impossiblekickstarter.com

  7. #667
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    ...and I do think bullets should be able to kill them (because I'm attached to bracelet-deflecting bullet bit). I think I like the idea of vulnerability to projectiles and sharp edges, but not vulnerable to blunt force. Thought I acknowledge there's no real logical consistency to this.
    I like your answer the best re the bracelets. You realize that none of it really makes any sense and you don't try and make it make any sense. It's simply your preference. This level of honesty regarding the bracelets/her invulnerability is pretty refreshing, TBH, and it's the same reason I prefer Diana having the Invisible Jet rather than not.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  8. #668
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I prefer Gaia bringing Diana to life than Aphrodite and Athena.

  9. #669
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    It does, actually. I think Wonder Woman should be the only child from the island and from her mother, etc. I think in an effort to build more lore into the Wondy mythos, they've lessened what makes her special, in my eyes at least. I know tons of people like Donna, but I never cared for her, let alone anyone else they added into her.
    Interesting... I’m down with a different origin for Nu’Bia and Diana as the only child of the Amazons while she’s on the island, but prefer Donna’s origin of being saved by Diana in an adventure and brought to Themyscira to be raised by Hippolyta and the Amazons.

  10. #670
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Isn't the current version also his descendant? So still a demi-goddess?
    I believe that’s what I read in a recent Young Justice issue. I think he’s her Grandgod now, with an as of yet unnamed father. Get your god or demigod Helena Sandsmark!
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.

  11. #671
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,490

    Default

    i wouldn't mind a small change in Donna's myth. That Hippoltya had found Donna. This is after Diana left and She finds a baby drowning. I'm curious how old should Diana leave. Generally it's often around the time of her being 18 into her early 20s
    Support IMPOSSIBLE JONES

    impossiblekickstarter.com

  12. #672
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Exactly. Less mass production, more items crafted by hand for a specific person. Less gunmetal and more alchemy and enchanted weapons, etc.

    As for the invisible jet......there was a thread about it a while ago and I gave it a bit of thought and decided I dont actually want it to be tied to the Amazons at all. They shouldn't have aircraft, at least not like that (hot air balloons or something maybe, but they have no need for air transport like planes), and since the invisible jet is really about the only example we have of the Amazons building stealth tech it never really seemed to fit, even with the excuse of keeping the Island's location hidden when Steve and Diana leave.

    I'd have the jet be a prototype US military development; the next step in stealth technology. And I'd make the thing larger, more of a bomber or transport than a fighter. I'd like to see the jet serve as a mobile base for Diana, full of armor and weapons and tools she might need for any given mission, food and supplies, etc. DC has done that a couple times and it gives the jet more of a purpose (when Diana can fly, the reasons she needs the jet become hard to justify) and would give Steve something to do (it's in his charge, so he's gotta take care of it). It also reinforces Diana's relationship with the military/Argus/DMA/whatever, and I like it when her stories are as rooted in political/military narratives as mythology.

    I'd also like to see the idea brought back that Diana can control the plane mentally (that, I could see as an Amazon invention), and have it used in combat more often. Imagine having to fight someone like Diana, with all her skill and strength and mythical weapons, and on top of it you've got an invisible plane making strafing runs, high-tech Argus level bullets and bombs flying.
    I like your thought about Amazonian aircraft being non-traditional, but I still like the idea of the plane. I'd say, rather than a jet, make it sort of kinetic energy engine that has a plane-like shape to take advantage of aerodynamic forces in flight. That's a very different technology than Man's World, that just looks - wait, it's invisible - that just happens to be shaped similarly.

  13. #673
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, it's somewhat similar to my take on Amazon technology, which would be much more focused on individual craftsmanship and on the specific need of the Amazons rather than mass production or machinery. They have no need for aircraft, but when they repaired Steve Trevor's aircraft, it turned into the invisible jet. And so on. But they should be much more advanced than us in fields like medicine, psychology, sociology, or botany.

    As for a controversial opinion, unrelated to the above: I find the obsession with boy or male Amazons to be counter to what Wonder Woman is about.
    For the former, I’m really interested in how their designs, engineering, technology, communications, architecture, etc. would all be different than ours and connected to their culture, values, etc. That’d take a LOT of world-building, but it’d be so interesting to see what writers and creators might come up with based on that POV.

    One of the things I really liked and thought was clever about Rebirth was the Amazons encountering Steve and company’s plane... They might not need aircraft themselves, but they immediately started to understand it once they studied it and then improved on it themselves for the task at hand - a way for the Amazon champion to clandestinely return Steve to the outside world.

    I want to see more of that in their daily lives whenever we get back to the Rebirth Themyscira. I hate seeing the Amazons stagnant and frozen in time.

    For the latter, I’m in the camp that doesn’t need Amazon children, let alone boys. Maybe in a future story, once the Amazons are not isolationists and their culture gets challenged/changes in ways from contact/trade with Patriarch’s World. I might find that storyline compelling through that lens.

  14. #674
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    ...I’m in the camp that doesn’t need Amazon children, let alone boys. Maybe in a future story, once the Amazons are not isolationists and their culture gets challenged/changes in ways from contact/trade with Patriarch’s World. I might find that storyline compelling through that lens.
    I don't mind the idea of children, but this is why I like the idea of having the Amazons master a form of artificial insemination that allows them to harvest genetic material from one Amazon, and plant it in another's egg. Two Xs = no boys. Their culture remains intact.

  15. #675
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I like your thought about Amazonian aircraft being non-traditional, but I still like the idea of the plane. I'd say, rather than a jet, make it sort of kinetic energy engine that has a plane-like shape to take advantage of aerodynamic forces in flight. That's a very different technology than Man's World, that just looks - wait, it's invisible - that just happens to be shaped similarly.
    Didnt they do something like that back in the.....late 90's, 00's or something? The "plane" was actually.....what was it....some sort of semi-alive shapeshifting AI goop or some such?

    That's a little over the top for my tastes, at least when it comes to the invisible jet. But I could be down with a flight engine shaped sort of like a bird, that thus happens to also have a similar shape to a plane. Though again, I'm not sure why the Amazons would need high-speed air travel when they live on a relatively small island, nor why this would be the only example of stealth tech they've created. That's why I like the idea of the plane actually being Argus tech; you just bypass all the questions about why the Amazons would have such a thing. Even if you can explain why the Amazons would have an invisible jet (repairing Steve's jet and making sure no one can follow it back to the Island being an easy answer) it just seems better to me (and this is just me, of course) to avoid those questions all together. But I know Im in the minority on this.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •