Page 5 of 437 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Cheetah shouldnt really be a villain
    I still say that she was lucky she was a villain in Superfriends, as they would have tossed her and Giganta aside for the more public domain baddies like they did a majority of the Golden Age rogues if they didn't show up on that show. (This is why cartoons and movies are important to helping sustain a comic book character's mythos)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't see people express it often. The first half of my opinion anyway.
    I think because it's pretty much a given that she's there. I mean, it's all entertainment so she (nor any of them) need to be there. From a marketing perspective though, the JL has always been their big guns teaming up. WW is ostensibly one of the biggest guns they have, so there really isn't a reason to exclude her.

No disagreement that the actual content of the stories seldom benefits her. Removing her from the situation would be a double edged sword. She'd be spared being featured in sucky stories, but it would pretty much be DC sending the signal that they've finally given up on her and don't consider her one of their big characters at the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Cheetah shouldnt really be a villain
    Why not? She has all the makings of one, albeit a tragic case. But then, Magneto, Two-Face and Mr. Freeze and plenty of antagonists in Greek myth have tragic elements and they work.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think because it's pretty much a given that she's there. I mean, it's all entertainment so she (nor any of them) need to be there. From a marketing perspective though, the JL has always been their big guns teaming up. WW is ostensibly one of the biggest guns they have, so there really isn't a reason to exclude her.

No disagreement that the actual content of the stories seldom benefits her. Removing her from the situation would be a double edged sword. She'd be spared being featured in sucky stories, but it would pretty much be DC sending the signal that they've finally given up on her and don't consider her one of their big characters at the forefront.

The Justice League has featured the likes of Martian Manhunters, Plastic Man, Red Tornado, Hawkman and Hawkwoman. None of these characters are considered by DC to be their big characters at the forefront. Or if they do, they certainly don't treat them that way, which is actually kind of similar to how Diana's been treated for some time now. Being on the League itself doesn't really make you all that special and Diana's treatment on the team more often than not shows she is not considered a priority. She'd be better off removed from the team entirely than being kept on it while contributing nothing besides being the only consistent female member.

Earth One is good as an out-of-continuity experiment, and Diana needs more of this type of thing to evolve.

Rucka is underrated in these forums and he has one of the best, clearest visions for Diana of all writers that have worked on her.

The Justice League has featured the likes of Martian Manhunters, Plastic Man, Red Tornado, Hawkman and Hawkwoman. None of these characters are considered by DC to be their big characters at the forefront.
    It also more often than not has Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, a Flash and at least one GL on it. They are the core big names, everyone else can come and go, as all of them (plus J'onn, definitely the weakest link) were part of the founding and have been there off and on since. You make a team without all those characters, you might as well call it something else than the JL. We only have a handful of examples in the long publication history where it's worked without them and it didn't last.

Being on the League itself doesn't really make you all that special and Diana's treatment on the team more often than not shows she is not considered a priority.
    If DC and the fanbase consider it such a coveted team to be a part of for any character, of course it's special.

She'd be better off removed from the team entirely than being kept on it while contributing nothing besides being the only consistent female member.
    DC being what they are, they are not going to rush to fill her vacancy with other female characters. So we'd be left with the big name males and no big name female. Better solution would be to hope for better editors and writers than rob Wonder Woman of her place on the team and punish her for something that isn't the character's fault. The solution to "help" her is actually kind of an insult to her and her status.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It also more often than not has Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Aquaman, a Flash and at least one GL on it. They are the core big names, everyone else can come and go, as all of them (plus J'onn, definitely the weakest link) were part of the founding and have been there off and on since. You make a team without all those characters, you might as well call it something else than the JL. We only have a handful of examples in the long publication history where it's worked without them and it didn't last.

If DC and the fanbase consider it such a coveted team to be a part of for any character, of course it's special.
    As I stated before, being in the League and being treated as a big deal aren’t quite the same thing.

DC being what they are, they are not going to rush to fill her vacancy with other female characters. So we'd be left with the big name males and no big name female. Better solution would be to hope for better editors and writers than rob Wonder Woman of her place on the team and punish her for something that isn't the character's fault. The solution to "help" her is actually kind of an insult to her and her status.
    It’s not really a punishment if keeping her on the team isn’t doing her any favors. Diana’s current popularity right now has nothing to do with the Justice League. Keeping her on a team where she is given no respect is the true insult.

Diana needs to toss the sword and shield into the sun and never look back - she doesn't need them.

The Amazons should be about 500 years more technologically advanced than Patriarch's World and their science, and what it focuses on, should look very different than what it does in the outside world.

Ares, Aphrodite, Athena, Cheetah, Circe, Heracles, Doctor Psycho, Giganta, Doctor Cyber, Angle Man, Queen Clea, and Eviless all need to have more character-defining, epic stories told in the pages of Wonder Women first and foremost, but then simultaneously be larger threats in the DCU in general.

Diana deserves a second ongoing title a la Action or Detective, with an all-star team, to develop her more and all of her supporting characters, antagonists, and Wonder concepts that sit on the sidelines, despite being excellent ideas.

Diana needs her own fictional city, a la Gotham or Metropolis, as a backdrop for her world and themes and concepts.

As I stated before, being in the League and being treated as a big deal aren’t quite the same thing.
    And I'm not quite sure what you mean. The League is viewed as a big deal because characters like Wonder Woman comprise its core membership. The actual writing managing to live up to the expectations or not is a different issue. The Silver age comics managed to do it, including with her. Morrison and Waid did it as well. Others like Priest and Snyder not so much. That doesn't change how it is perceived and marketed. The fanbase goes in expecting the characters to be a big deal, and various factions will call it out when it doesn't do it for their character/s.

It’s not really a punishment if keeping her on the team isn’t doing her any favors. Diana’s current popularity right now has nothing to do with the Justice League. Keeping her on a team where she is given no respect is the true insult.
    None of the main JL members' popularity have much to do with Justice League. Batman would still be DC's most popular hero if he were removed from it. The team's popularity as a whole is down to who is on it and seeing them gathered together, that is the whole point behind the franchise.

Both things are insulting to her in a way. The situation with the writers not utilizing her well is worse and needs to change, but DC wouldn't be showing her respect by removing her, it would just compound the lack of respect. It'd be somewhat like "Diana Prince: the Emma Peel" edition all over again. They'd be conveying that the Justice League is their biggest characters teamed up, and WW is not one of them. Removing her should, at most, be a temporary measure until a writer comes along that wants to use her and respects her, but permanently deciding she doesn't need to be on the team she helped make a major franchise is kind of silly, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Rucka is underrated in these forums and he has one of the best, clearest visions for Diana of all writers that have worked on her.
    Is that really accurate to these forums? It seems to be he's looked upon quite fondly here. I mean me, I'm the complete opposite, I think he's overrated. But I've never got the feeling that's anything close to a sentiment greatly shared here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Is that really accurate to these forums? It seems to be he's looked upon quite fondly here. I mean me, I'm the complete opposite, I think he's overrated. But I've never got the feeling that's anything close to a sentiment greatly shared here.
    His second run was good but not as good as his first imo.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Ares, Aphrodite, Athena, Cheetah, Circe, Heracles, Doctor Psycho, Giganta, Doctor Cyber, Angle Man, Queen Clea, and Eviless all need to have more character-defining, epic stories told in the pages of Wonder Women first and foremost, but then simultaneously be larger threats in the DCU in general.
    I think it'd be more interesting if they weren't all written as straight villains but as people with goals that don't align with Diana's. It's part of why the more recent Cheetah stories with her being a cursed divine avatar are so good. She's not fully in control of herself, and that causes her to sometimes do things that are not what she really wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Idk, his run has a lot of supporters here but I feel people who don't like it REALLY don't like it.

I really want Wonder Woman to have a pet tiger like she originally was going to have in the movie before Michelle Mclaren left the project. It would be a cooler choice than than a Kangroo.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I really want Wonder Woman to have a pet tiger like she originally was going to have in the movie before Michelle Mclaren left the project. It would be a cooler choice than than a Kangroo.
    I rather enjoyed her black panther partner when she visited Ballesteros old lair to get the information to help with Vanessa's recovery.