Page 60 of 437 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Paradise Island used to be Wonder Woman's Batcave. If editors could manage use of the Island, that way, again, my regular cast would include Etta, Steve and Hippolyta. There was a time, in the 70s, when I actually looked forward to Diana's regular (almost every other issue) visits to Paradise Island, for a magic thingamabob or some sci-fi whatchumacallit - sometimes, just a warm hug from Hippolyta or word with Mala or Paula.

As the Island tends to swallow entire, multi-issue story arcs, ..I feel safer with Mala, as a regular, than the Queen. It just takes good editing to change my mind.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-17-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Donna and Cassie. It boggles my mind that these two aren't included in Diana's supporting cast more. Orbiting them would be Cassie's mother, and whoever it is that Donna's attached to (she's such a mess I won't get into her character in this thread). Maybe, I dunno, but I might expand on them to include a small group of women being trained in Amazon ways. A group of "Wonder Girls" that Diana, Donna, and Cass all help teach.

If this new "Wonder Girls" group makes the supporting cast cut, then I'd include a very updated version of I-Ching to help with their training. Otherwise.....I'd probably leave him out of the supporting cast....possibly include him as a minor but re-occurring agent of Argus?
    I often wonder why Diana doesn't act as martial arts instructor type figure more often. I can get why she doesn't bring people to Themiscyra daily. But why does she never do anything?
    Giganta. I'd have her trying to turn over a new leaf. Not becoming a hero, but leaving villainy behind. Dating Ryan Choi (the Atom) because that's the best ship sailing any waters. Doris would be one of those antagonists that's also part of the supporting cast. Not Diana's friend, but not really her enemy anymore either. I think Diana would be, in essence, her parole officer, making sure Giganta stays on the straight and narrow. And of course, Doris' boyfriend Ryan would have to show up on a infrequent-but-regular basis too.
    Now this is an aspect of WW that I've always found weird. She's kind, generous, loving, but almost never actually has any of her villains reform at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I often wonder why Diana doesn't act as martial arts instructor type figure more often. I can get why she doesn't bring people to Themiscyra daily. But why does she never do anything?Now this is an aspect of WW that I've always found weird. She's kind, generous, loving, but almost never actually has any of her villains reform at all.
    Well it would help if a lot of them were actually willing to reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well it would help if a lot of them were actually willing to reform.
    Well, yes, It is something that has come up sometimes, and often is inapplicable due to the nature of the villain, but it just feels like something that should come up more than it does.

Well, yes, It is something that has come up sometimes, and often is inapplicable due to the nature of the villain, but it just feels like something that should come up more than it does.
    This could be accomplished by giving Wonder Woman the trophy of a reformed supervillain, among her supporting cast. A recurring character, one of the non-murdering ones, appearing less, than every other issue. Maybe, they could be a villain, who hasn't killed anybody for a very long time, like King Minos. That's an old Cheetah, a weird or silly one (Clitra, Hypnota, etc)...one of those.

It would be great, if Hippolyta could go back to being a regular character in the comic, following Etta into strange dimensions to aid Wonder Woman. I think she could, if only WW editors would not allow Island action and drama to dominate the on-going narrative. They did control writers' use of the Island and of Hippolyta, once, in the Silver Age, and it was a better comic for it. That would make the regular (every/every other issue) cast, enlisted as Diana, Etta, Steve, Hippolyta and Ferdinand - except for Ferdinand, all characters, who've been around, since the Golden Age.

For my money, since I don't think editors will control writers' use of Hippolyta or the island, I would see Mala added to the regulars. Installing Mala, as Diana's aid in Man's World, in a similar role as Alfred or Doctor Zarkov, guarantees that Wonder Woman doesn't become a 'female Superman'. I think Diana's Amazon/myth-inspired origin can and should be a relevant incidental in the WW comic, no matter what's going on.

Doris Zeul, like Hera, proved to be an interesting regular, while also being a challenge to Diana's morality. Perhaps, the trophy supervillain regular should be an Amazon, Medusa ..or a mythical personage, like Medea.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-18-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: details
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Eris made an interesting antagonist, and as a goddess Eris both has the power, and the ability to simply poof when done making trouble.

I often wonder why Diana doesn't act as martial arts instructor type figure more often. I can get why she doesn't bring people to Themiscyra daily. But why does she never do anything?
    I dunno. She's a busy woman?

Now this is an aspect of WW that I've always found weird. She's kind, generous, loving, but almost never actually has any of her villains reform at all.
    I think this is due to the nature of the medium more than anything else. People love a good recurring villain, and if you redeem them you can't use them as enemies anymore. Hell, even suggesting Giganta reform is taking one of Diana's biggest rogues out of the gallery. I think it could work with Doris simply because no one has done anything interesting with her in ages and ages so it's not really much of a loss (and you could always legacy the mantle if you had to) but that's still one of Diana's Top 5 villains.

I actually think that if you want to see Diana reform a bad guy (and that really should be more of a thing, I totally agree) you need to introduce a brand new foe with the intention of redeeming them down the line. That, or bring back one of the Golden Age villains Diana successfully redeemed that hasn't been seen in fifty years.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I feel like in the beginning, she could act like a martial arts teacher. She is with Holliday Girls and teaches them to defend themselves. One does open a martial arts school and one creates a shelter for abused victims. Maybe Doris, Mayfly, Paula if they bring her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think this is due to the nature of the medium more than anything else. People love a good recurring villain, and if you redeem them you can't use them as enemies anymore. Hell, even suggesting Giganta reform is taking one of Diana's biggest rogues out of the gallery. I think it could work with Doris simply because no one has done anything interesting with her in ages and ages so it's not really much of a loss (and you could always legacy the mantle if you had to) but that's still one of Diana's Top 5 villains.

I actually think that if you want to see Diana reform a bad guy (and that really should be more of a thing, I totally agree) you need to introduce a brand new foe with the intention of redeeming them down the line. That, or bring back one of the Golden Age villains Diana successfully redeemed that hasn't been seen in fifty years.
    Well, "reformed" doesn't need to be a change from chaotic evil to lawful good, it could be chaotic evil to chaotic neutral.

For example: Scorch. she actually had a rather early reformation arc in her publishing history. She first appeared in 2000, and stopped being a full-time villain a little over a YEAR later. Why? because Superman had a long heart to heart talk with her about responsibility and other equally heroic things, before offering to make her a member of the Justice League. Yes, REALLY. She turned down his offer to become a proper hero, but stopped being a villain. This does not mean she stopped appearing in the comics though. Writers kept finding reasons to use her in stories without having her act as a proper villain. Heck in the Burning Martian arc her alignment could be accurately described as Chaotic Good.... which goes badly for her. The "comatose for 3 years" kind of badly. After that all of her appearances as a villain involved some sort of coercion. In one she was manipulated by Despero, in another she got possessed by a Starro…

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I feel like in the beginning, she could act like a martial arts teacher. She is with Holliday Girls and teaches them to defend themselves. One does open a martial arts school and one creates a shelter for abused victims. Maybe Doris, Mayfly, Paula if they bring her back.
    She could certainly live in a house on Holliday College's campus, Mizuno. It could be established, as her base in Man's World - home, arsenal, gym, etc - leaving Paradise Island, as her hometown, lab, hospital. I think it could be useful to base her at Holliday College or in a 'Holliday City', ..if editors would mandate that writers use it in and the Holliday Girls in their stories.

Again, I think that's why Mala is presently my most preferred addition to the regular cast. While relocating Hippolyta at the college or in a new city, or anywhere away from her island, may be narratively clunky. However, ..Mala, not being queen, could be - den-mother for the Holliday Girls, sparring with Diana, etc. No matter where the stories are unfolding or how infrequently writers use the Island, I feel very strongly that Diana's Amazon background should be present in the regular, on-going story. I think Mala on the cast of 4-5 regulars accomplishes that in a way that Hippolyta's presence can't.

Besides, I can see sunny, studious, disciplined Mala clashing with brash, feisty, reckless Etta, with Diana in between them, being a classic pairing! Gotta get these two in the same story, again.

Why can't some editor just insist upon maintaining a core supporting cast (every/every other issue) and a residence, somewhere in Man's World? As that would require keeping up with these regulars, editorially, perhaps, someone has decided a regular cast is just too much trouble to bother with - that WW isn't worth it. If that's the case, it's a damn shame.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Diana doesn’t really have her own editor. If any of you were the editor of Wonder Woman. What would be some rules to make should Diana is more consistent?

Also since it’s a bit cliche to go with Zeus. If Diana have to have a father. Still within the Greek myths , who would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana doesn’t really have her own editor. If any of you were the editor of Wonder Woman. What would be some rules to make should Diana is more consistent?

Also since it’s a bit cliche to go with Zeus. If Diana have to have a father. Still within the Greek myths , who would it be?
    Sounds like you should start another thread on this topic - it's not really controversial
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

I've got something controversial...how about switching out Circe for Queen of Fables, without killing either off? How do you feel about writers, story by story, grafting QoF's cool qualities, like her weird look, onto Circe?

Circe's pretty boring, right now, and the Queen seems so quirky and creepy. Switch them! They're so similar; who's going to care?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.

We can keep both. Circe is just being written often as a magical character. What makes sense Circe? I rather have her just doing whatever because it's fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I've got something controversial...how about switching out Circe for Queen of Fables, without killing either off? How do you feel about writers, story by story, grafting QoF's cool qualities, like her weird look, onto Circe?

Circe's pretty boring, right now, and the Queen seems so quirky and creepy. Switch them! They're so similar; who's going to care?
    I totally care! Idk who Queen of Fables even is, and I find Circe very interesting. Plus, Circe is a recurring villain that most fans of Wonder Woman have heard of while the other one is... who again? Not opposed to having older villains be introduced but not at the expense of one of Diana’s actual consistent villains. You might find her uninteresting but that opinion is... controversial. :P
    Last edited by Circe; 09-03-2019 at 06:07 AM.