Page 65 of 440 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Though I personally prefer the original rescued orphan origin.
    The worst part about the current origin is that it effectively makes the rescued orphan origin almost impossible, so we're stuck with Donna's awful New 52 origin or a variant thereof.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The worst part about the current origin is that it effectively makes the rescued orphan origin almost impossible, so we're stuck with Donna's awful New 52 origin or a variant thereof.
    They could still use a variation of it. All that is required is that she be rescued by someone else, probably a goddess, and be brought to Themyscira. She leaves the island around 13 years old, shortly after Diana, to become Wonder Girl. In a better world where Wilson was allowed to use her, she'd only just now be able to return to Themyscira like Diana and we'd get a reunion scene between her and Hippolyta.

Maybe after whatever the next crisis turns out to be, they can quietly put this into place. It boggles my mind that they didn't take advantage of Rebirth and have Rucka write her into Year One. How is possible nobody in DC management thought that would be preferable to the continued messes we get?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Her current origin is truly disgusting. I feel like it not only tainted Donna but Diana as well by giving Donna her clay origin with an evil twist. It's like they're intentionally mocking Diana's classic origin.

Yea. I rather have the recused orphan. Diana has three books in the golden age. One her main one. The other focusing on other other parts of her origin. And a team up book. A team up book would be great. I’m curious should villainy inc or godwatch get their book? Should both exist? Like I said I do think of them has a group that’s a dark mirror to the Amazons. That they do care for one another. They took a twitch version of love and care. Love each other but kill everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Her current origin is truly disgusting. I feel like it not only tainted Donna but Diana as well by giving Donna her clay origin with an evil twist. It's like they're intentionally mocking Diana's classic origin.
    As someone once noted it's closer to Deva's origin than Diana's. I think the idea may have been to make her a copy of Diana like the old Wondertot. But if you can't use time travel to copy someone, some sort of magic cloning is next best right? But heroes don't make clones of other heroes. So it had to be a villain. Which then gives Donna an edgy dark origin. It's also a lot like Batman Beyond where you find out Amanda Waller CREATED Terry McGinnis from Bruce's DNA because she knew Bruce needed a successor. (Terry did have an actual, terrible, childhood though.)

I agree that it's a bit much. But it feels like the writers started with the idea of writing Donna, but had to rummage around to figure out an origin.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They could still use a variation of it. All that is required is that she be rescued by someone else, probably a goddess, and be brought to Themyscira. She leaves the island around 13 years old, shortly after Diana, to become Wonder Girl.
    I'd probably have Donna saved by Phoebe at a young age and set with the Amazons, and maybe to merge it a bit with the Titan Seed origin, have Phoebe give her her powers.

Maybe after whatever the next crisis turns out to be, they can quietly put this into place. It boggles my mind that they didn't take advantage of Rebirth and have Rucka write her into Year One. How is possible nobody in DC management thought that would be preferable to the continued messes we get?
    It's a direct result of Donna being a Titans property first and a WW one second. They need to either learn how to share and communicate or hand her over for a while.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 09-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

It's a direct result of Donna being a Titans property first and a WW one second. They need to either learn how to share and communicate or hand her over for a while.
    Don't know that I can agree - Donna is much more about the Titans to me than about Wonder Woman. Teen Titans invented her as Donna. She rose to prominence as a Titan. No, they haven't used her well recently, but frankly, I don't have any reason she be handled any better in WW (hasn't really been in past). I'd much rather her be developed and have storylines in the context of the Titans than of Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Don't know that I can agree - Donna is much more about the Titans to me than about Wonder Woman. Teen Titans invented her as Donna. She rose to prominence as a Titan. No, they haven't used her well recently, but frankly, I don't have any reason she be handled any better in WW (hasn't really been in past). I'd much rather her be developed and have storylines in the context of the Titans than of Themyscira.
    The problem is that Donna has to intrinsically be tied to Diana given the type of character that she is. I'm not suggested a permanent trade-off; Donna is more important to the Titans to me too, it IS where she became Donna and it's where she became the character that she should be today and was before Flashpoint. But hashing out the problematic origin is something that should be done either by the Wonder Woman office or with a huge assist from them. The ideal is both offices working together but I'm not convinced DC editorial knows how to do that.

But hashing out the problematic origin is something that should be done either by the Wonder Woman office or with a huge assist from them. The ideal is both offices working together but I'm not convinced DC editorial knows how to do that.
    I think hashing out Donna's origin in an acceptable way would be a miracle, regardless of office. None of them have been good. I loved emotional resonance of the story as told in "Who is Donna Troy" but the original it's based on itself makes no sense, and there are some plotholes in that one, too. I know that's been discussed before, but it does not time out, given that WW premiered after Robin and that Robin and Wonder Girl are the same age. And I'm not as willing as others to say "well someone else took her to Themyscira" - I want Steve as Diana's first exposure to the island. I want Steve the first one from outside there (the Julia-toddler thing didn't work for me). Also, if someone else did, it lends an air of prophecy or destiny to the proceedings that I am not fond of (not even for Diana - I like that nothing is foretold and meant to be, but all formed by the free will and actions taken by the characters).

And that's before we even get into what exactly Wonder Woman's chronology is right now - did we ever get an explanation on the "half a century" bit?

I think hashing out Donna's origin in an acceptable way would be a miracle, regardless of office. None of them have been good. I loved emotional resonance of the story as told in "Who is Donna Troy" but the original it's based on itself makes no sense, and there are some plotholes in that one, too. I know that's been discussed before, but it does not time out, given that WW premiered after Robin and that Robin and Wonder Girl are the same age. And I'm not as willing as others to say "well someone else took her to Themyscira" - I want Steve as Diana's first exposure to the island. I want Steve the first one from outside there (the Julia-toddler thing didn't work for me). Also, if someone else did, it lends an air of prophecy or destiny to the proceedings that I am not fond of (not even for Diana - I like that nothing is foretold and meant to be, but all formed by the free will and actions taken by the characters).

And that's before we even get into what exactly Wonder Woman's chronology is right now - did we ever get an explanation on the "half a century" bit?
    I'm not sure in the event that a God or Goddess took Donna to Themyscira, most of the Amazon's - Diana included - would know that there was a point that this toddler or what have you was a normal, mundane little girl before being brought there... at least not in the version of the original origin that I was envisioning. In that case the only ones that would be aware of Donna's status as previously having been utterly human and having come from Man's World would be the Goddess (in this case I REALLY like it being Phoebe since that is who Donna replaced in The Return of Donna Troy), and Donna's parents - who I'm imagining are Hippolyta and Phillipus - which would mean that as far as Diana is concerned, Steve is her first exposure to Man's World. I think that it would add an extra layer to Hippolyta to have her take in this child from Man's World who was orphaned due to the carelessness and recklessness of man.

I think the Titan seed idea was the best they've done. It made her interesting in part due to having a unique power set. I absolutely LOVED the explanation that her costume sparkles like that BECAUSE she's wearing it and that it's not something you can simply copy.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think the Titan seed idea was the best they've done. It made her interesting in part due to having a unique power set. I absolutely LOVED the explanation that her costume sparkles like that BECAUSE she's wearing it and that it's not something you can simply copy.
    Yeah - that's why I would tie her directly to Phoebe. The other gifts from the other Titans are less important, but... imagine Phoebe bringing this baby that she has given amazing, Amazonian abilities, to Themyscira, to Hippolyta, and she is swaddled in this cloth that displays literal stars. And then when Donna comes of age, comes back to Themyscira, she's given the cloth that she was brought with as a gift and keepsake.

If we can at least have other children on the Island. For example, Alec, Mala and a few others. How do you want them to be handled? Want them to be New 52 or some nice and others rude?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The problem is, despite Donna being mostly a Titans character, she was created to represent the WW brand within the Titans brand. As soon as they cut the simple ties she had with Wonder Woman, which (despite the weird chronology) the had worked out pre-Crisis, she immediately became problematic. Her first post-Crisis origin, largely because it was Wolfman and Perez who were doing it, introduced elements that could have worked well in tandem with the previous origin, but was still intrinsically inferior on its own because it was about a Wonder Girl who was never Wonder Woman's sidekick. Each subsequent alteration was worse.

I think involving the Titans of Myth and the space faring stuff that came along with them in post-Crisis (characters like Athyns and Sparta) would give Donna a niche her big sister doesn't occupy and allow her to stand out more. Like between the Titans, pre-Crisis Thia, the Children of the Sun, her adopted mortal family and the other Titans Seeds and the locations they are from, Donna's got a nice set of components to build off of. But they all absolutely need to conform around the simple premise of her being Hippolyta's adopted second child who became Wonder Girl around the time Dick Grayson became Robin.

Steve is still the first man Diana encounters, and Donna is too young to remember anything from Man's World, so he is still the first outsider Diana encounters.

No, and I can't believe that got by anybody. Year One only came out a couple years ago and Wilson clearly read Rucka's run, so what is even going on here with that?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    If we can at least have other children on the Island. For example, Alec, Mala and a few others. How do you want them to be handled? Want them to be New 52 or some nice and others rude?
    I don't think I like the idea of other kids on the island - like, specifically because how would they get there?