Page 75 of 440 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 6591

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Holliday College x Diana = Daily Planet x Superman

I like that. Occasionally cutting away to the rest of Ocean City wouldn't be objectionable, at all. Most of the low-impact action, between faraway adventures, however, could unfold on campus, with Etta, Steve and Atlantiades.
    Note that I think the analogue should only go so far, for a variety of reasons. Diana is not Clark.

But I think the Wonder Woman needs a fixed spot in the mundane, normal, non-superheroic world where she has friends and associates. It need not be a place where she works (because Diana is not Clark/Superman), but it should be a place where she can feel at home and have a social life. In a way, it would serve as the gateway for Diana to our world, rather than as a gateway for her to the supernatural world. In some ways, the relation between Diana and Holliday college might be more like Batman's relation to the GCPD.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that I think the analogue should only go so far, for a variety of reasons. Diana is not Clark.

But I think the Wonder Woman needs a fixed spot in the mundane, normal, non-superheroic world where she has friends and associates. It need not be a place where she works (because Diana is not Clark/Superman), but it should be a place where she can feel at home and have a social life. In a way, it would serve as the gateway for Diana to our world, rather than as a gateway for her to the supernatural world. In some ways, the relation between Diana and Holliday college might be more like Batman's relation to the GCPD.
    Batman doesn’t really have a social relationship with GCPD. He’s not “friends” with them except perhaps Gordon. So I don’t really think that analogy works. What you’re describing is actually pretty unique, most superheroes these days don’t hang out with civilians for fun anymore.

The issue is Diana's city needs to match her. Clarke's and Bruce's city matches them. Holliday University is the normal part but to give her that magical element there should be creatures and beings that due have that connection. So yea, it would be best if Gateway can be normal city and a magical one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd just have it as a location in Washington D.C.
    DC Earth already doesn't resemble ours, so their D.C can be a little different.
    I think that whatever city they choose needs to reflect Wonder Woman. It needs to have some mysticism and be a place where there would be a lot of mysticism, politics, and history. I think that it should deal mostly with political corruption and war crimes so it would have to be an epicenter of global politics which DC fits well. I also think it should be a literal gateway for people and magic so somewhere with a good population of immigrants or tourist would be ideal as well. So we can have more than just Greek Mythology. It would also need to be rich in history and culture of its own and have a prominent intellectual scene so that Holliday College fits in along with characters like Cheetah. I think this describes DC well enough. I can see her bouncing between the college for help from humanities and science departments on missions that the government is currently working on enough to justify Etta simply being a college student that works with her. I think overall her original set up still works if you just replace Steves old job with ARGUS or put her in ARGUS and have Steve in a regular arm of the military.

The only other real cities I could see her in would be Baltimore, Seattle, or New York so maybe they can just create some sort of fake DMV type situation for Diana because it seems she'd be best based somewhere in the East coast. This would make it more distinct to her if they did this instead of just making or choosing one city.

Wonder Woman has a lot of involvement with the UN. I think it would be really interesting if we saw more public backlash against her.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The issue is Diana's city needs to match her. Clarke's and Bruce's city matches them. Holliday University is the normal part but to give her that magical element there should be creatures and beings that due have that connection. So yea, it would be best if Gateway can be normal city and a magical one.
    Alright I’m going to put this out there: What if we made New York City Diana’s home turf? As an ambassador, making the place where the UN meets her “city” makes sense to me. There really aren’t any major DC heroes there that I know of, and NYC has been the popular “Gateway” to America for pop culture for a while.

Well it’s considered a gateway of culture. A city with rich history in helping women rights, lgbt rights and civil rights. The few things we have to think about it is where? We have 5 boroughs. She could also live upstate. Mostly not to give her too much to look at. Only in her beginning years.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-27-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    DC is a few decades late for that, though I prefer her being called Priscilla myself. I wish Perez just kept the name instead of inventing a new one.
    I agree that it would be very awkward but I think it would still be for the best. Batgirl is just ten times more important and popular and a name like Priscilla would really help a character like Cheetah stand out more. I'm really not sure why Perez changed that part of her but I really think he messed up by doing so too. But, I am not the biggest fan of Post Crisis Wonder Woman or Perez's version so there could be some bias speaking when I say that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Alright I’m going to put this out there: What if we made New York City Diana’s home turf? As an ambassador, making the place where the UN meets her “city” makes sense to me. There really aren’t any major DC heroes there that I know of, and NYC has been the popular “Gateway” to America for pop culture for a while.
    I think NYC is such a go-to location that putting her in Boston or somewhere in the DMV is more refreshing for a character. I guess it depends on the type of WW you're writing. If she doesn't have a day job and is a career politician so to speak and open about her identity then she would be in New York.

It could be easy to explain. Priscilla Barbara but everyone calls her Barbara. I often wondered if to make the transition easier if the two characters should be related. I mean Barbara isn’t the first cheetah to replace Priscilla.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I agree that it would be very awkward but I think it would still be for the best. Batgirl is just ten times more important and popular and a name like Priscilla would really help a character like Cheetah stand out more. I'm really not sure why Perez changed that part of her but I really think he messed up by doing so too. But, I am not the biggest fan of Post Crisis Wonder Woman or Perez's version so there could be some bias speaking when I say that.
    I think because he was changing so much about her anyway that maybe he didn't feel he could call her Priscilla Rich anymore. But I dunno, he changed so much about Steve and Etta and even a bit of Diana herself and let them keep the same names. For consistency's sake, she and the Silver Swan should have retained their Pre-Crisis civilian names. Then, much like Lex Luthor and the Joker, it would just be a new version of Priscilla Rich, not a legacy that also isn't really a legacy? it needlessly complicates things. Her introductory panels would even have more "oomph" behind them if they were introducing noted archaeologist Dr. Priscilla Rich, because older fans would immediately know who she was even before the last page reveals.

Perez's Barbara Minerva was very creepy and cool, I like her a lot. But Rucka's brought the ideas together better, and I think it says a lot that he had to fold a bit of Priscilla into her to finally make her work. I don't know if he did it deliberately, but the blonde hair and the envy of Diana, and the disconnect with her human persona when becoming Cheetah, just scream Priscilla to me.

If Star-Lord (Peter Quill) can be popular while sharing a first name with Peter Parker, I don't think Barbara Minerva needs to change her name to Priscilla Rich.

Hell, the Wonder Woman franchise has three women who share their names with a female character from the Batman universe and a love interest who shares his first name with Captain America.

How about this Babara is Priscilla. That after seeing JSA, she ties to find a way to get that power She did find an amulet that gave her long life. She founded a cult to find a item that would give her power. However, with her cult she did get some power from the people. She didn't become the Cheetah until finding the dagger of a goddess

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If Star-Lord (Peter Quill) can be popular while sharing a first name with Peter Parker, I don't think Barbara Minerva needs to change her name to Priscilla Rich.

Hell, the Wonder Woman franchise has three women who share their names with a female character from the Batman universe and a love interest who shares his first name with Captain America.
    She doesn't need to change it now. it was an odd change to make to begin with.

Many of her pre-COIE enemies didn't have civilian names, but Cheetah definitely did. Why not keep the name instead of creating yet another version?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I think NYC is such a go-to location that putting her in Boston or somewhere in the DMV is more refreshing for a character. I guess it depends on the type of WW you're writing. If she doesn't have a day job and is a career politician so to speak and open about her identity then she would be in New York.
    For Marvel it’s a go-to location I agree but not a lot of heroes operate out of NYC in the DCU partly because of Gotham and Metropolis being “more” important.